Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 03-23-2020, 03:20 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,174 Posts

Joe is just a prince of a guy. He works full time as an OKC Police officer. I believe he is on 8 days straight and then off 6 (don't hold me to that... but seems about right). He used to do a ton of masonry work, but has tailed off. Much easier just doing private security detail these days. He isn't as old as me, but is starting to feel the results of manual labor. But, he definitely isn't a millenial either (Millenials think manual labor was a Spanish war hero).

We were in a rush to get this done before my door got here and before my surgery. The weather would not cooperate. We got half done, but he had no more days off. The next Sunday we were expecting above freezing temps again, and Joe, great guy that he is, took off work a half day to finish the job. Then he got mad at me for paying him too much. Deal with it buddy.

Anyway, I got the wall rebuilt. There was no way to install proper anchors in that brick wall, as we only tore off the top 3 or 4 courses, down to where it was solid. So, when I put the pressure treated sill plate on, I just screwed tapcons through the sill plate and into the brick, at least one screw between each set of studs, and sometimes two. I was a little nervous when the City inspector came out to inspect my framing. He liked my 3/4 inch anchors in the NEW stem wall, and then asked about anchors in the old. I told him the building was built in 1922, there was no requirement for anchors at the time, and because I wasn't doing new construction, I did not have to comply with modern building code. Fortunately, he agreed. he gave me a few things to do on the "honor" system before I covered up around the doof frame with OSB. Good thing, as it was the 21st. Surgery was scheduled for the 23rd. I still had to go pick up the door at the truck terminal.
Attached Images

67 Nova Boy (10-26-2022), HawkX66 (03-23-2020), Tracker1 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:31 AM

Got the door picked up on the 21st. Left right after the inspector left. One of the projects the inspector gave me was to nail metal strapping from the sill plate all the way up over the door header. Had to run to the home center on Tuesday the 21st, and luckily they had what I was looking for.

Jan. 22. Started nailing the metal strapping. Fortunately, I got help from my brother and my good friend Greg, along with his wife Sherryl. Greg has a fork lift. No way I am getting that door up there without a fork lift. It weighs over 500 pounds. Greg planned on showing up at 2 with the fork lift. It was crunch time (and both of my shoulders were doing a lot of "crunching" by now... after all, there is no cartelage in either one).

My brother came over in the morning, and he and I started putting up the OSB on the inside frame around the door opening. Meanwhile Sherri is uncrating the door. I should have downloaded instructions so I could read them before hand. Oh well.

Just as we were getting the supports mounted to the header, Greg shows up with the fork lift. He is a magician. Got it right up there on the first try, centered perfectly. From there it is just a matter of bolting everything in place. Greg had the fork lift back on the trailer and was headed home in about an hour.

I still haven't put the weather stripping on, and still haven't removed that little bit of dilapidated wall on the West end of the door way. From the outside, you can't even tell I have a roll up door yet. Still have to take the old one off, and remove that wall. But, I am not going to do that until we have some good weather. Boy, was I ready for a few days off when I had my surgery... the next day.
67 Nova Boy (10-26-2022), markinnaples (03-23-2020), olredalert (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 01:13 PM

Lynn

I thoroughly enjoy your updates and have huge respect for the preservation and restoration of an old building. I live in a house built in 1846 and know every inch of it and can tell multiple stories for hours about it. I always tell people it needed lots of TLC= “Tons of Lumber and Cash” and thousands of trips to Home Depot, hardware store, bank, chiropractor and ER and they have all been well worth it. I compare it often to the love of our vehicles!
Lynn- where did you get your building skills? Self taught?
Thanks for sharing and if I lived closer I would definitely be helping!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Thanks. Our home was built in 1902... as a Livery Stable. Always a challenge.

Mostly self taught. One of my brothers has been in construction his whole life, and he usually has answers when I am not sure.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:35 PM

Well, I see I haven't posted in forever.

Been too busy, but have taken some pics and will update soon.

Getting close to putting up siding on the North wall (other three walls are brick).

Lumber prices have gone through the roof. I was thinking of using Smartside, but being wood based composite, those prices are up as well. So now, Hardie planks are almost the same cost.

With the Hardie, you never have to worry about rot. The down side? Stuff is really hard on saw blades, and the dust is horrible. I will never work with it again without wearing a respirator.

So, if you had to put up 2400 sf of siding, which product would you choose?
67 Nova Boy (10-26-2022)
Old 08-31-2020, 06:24 PM

Thanked 1,766 Times in 746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Well, I see I haven't posted in forever.

So, if you had to put up 2400 sf of siding, which product would you choose?
Hardie - for the reasons you mentioned.

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 08-31-2020, 07:57 PM

My house is Hardie and it’s 8 years old. I did all the trim in composite as well. house was built in 1846 and I didn’t want all the upkeep of lap. It has held up well structurally and the color will need repaint in a year or 2
Old 09-01-2020, 12:09 PM

Looking forward to further updates and pictures. It's quite a unique project.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:49 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

We have Hardie Plank that we put up probably 28 years ago. Still holding up fine.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:16 AM

Nobody has Smartside? They have a 50 year warranty on the stuff, and it is a lot easier to work with. I won't be around, unless I live to 117. Sherri will put it on the market as soon as I croak.

Would sure like to hear from someone who has Smartside on their building.