Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-11-2003, 02:57 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default frame paint

I'm on my 4th car, 1st 3 were 69 Camaro's, this is a 70 Nova and the front frames and a-arms seem to be coated with a thick asphalt sealer from the factory. I've always
stripped and painted them with semi-gloss black but wouldn't a asphalt type sealer be more correct for these cars?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:01 AM

Default Re: frame paint

That is correct, let me know if you find the correct type of paint..............RatPack.................
Old 04-11-2003, 05:50 AM

I had always been told one time that a armes were dipped in a vat of black paint and that accounted for the thick amount and all of the runs.
1969 RS Z/28 Red
1969 RS Z/28 Lemans Blue
1970 Z/28 Blue
1967 Camaro RS SS Vert
1968 Camaro SS
2000 Silverado SWB Survivor
Old 04-11-2003, 12:27 PM

The asphalt type paint isnt really durable and type of minor spill of gas, oil, brake fluid, etc. destroys it. I have always used a acrilic enamel or single stage urethane with a flattner to give it the heavy dipped look and it holds up better. This had been matched up to several nos arms and looks real close.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:29 PM

I've got a couple of ideas thinning down driveway sealer but shooting it thru even a primer gun might be a joke. I've got a car waiting in the wings I want to do as concourse correct
as possible with finishes. I have always used flattened black and it looks great but I'd like to try the ashalt finish. Also, on upper a-arms, new shaft bushings are not the correct
type with a little bit of rubber showing. Has anyone found a correct style? I once removed a little bit of metal with a pipe cutter but it didnt look right. One more question. It looks
like the ball joints were rivited in after and the bushings pressed after the a-arms were painted and are grey phosphate. Is this the case?
Old 04-11-2003, 05:21 PM

x44d80, The correct upper bushings are available and I have them. They have already been delivered to the Corvette vendors months ago and the Camaro/Chevelle/Nova and other GM vendors should be getting them in a few months. They are not the cut down aftermarket ones that have been available for awhile. They are identical to the originals except the lettering is not on the end of the bushing that the washer covers up. You have to pay more royalties to have that done so it was not worth it to me. Send me an email or private message if you need a set.

As for painting the subframe the correct way you would probably be the first to do it the correct way. I have talked with a couple of the judges at GM Carlisle and have been told a car done that way will probably loose points for finish. They want to see the "over-restored" powdercoated frames and other misc pieces.

Now painting the control arms the correct way by dipping them is not that cost effective to do. Just hang them from the ball joint end and lay the paint on thick to get a few runs and sags.

I admire you for wanting to do a car that way in these days where "over-restored" is the norm............RatPack.......
Old 04-11-2003, 06:46 PM

I'm definitely doing the asphalt route..my feeling on this is that if it isn't right it might as well be chrome..We all know that asphalt is correct but looks bad..There are people out there interested in adjusting the over restored standards and I'm one of them..The overspray guys are just the tip of the iceberg..I speculate that one day soon a new class will emerge whose goal is to try to convince people that the car is a survivor but classed as a full resto..not a class of liers more a class of anal-retentive craftsmen
Old 04-11-2003, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not a class of liers more a class of anal-retentive craftsmen

[/ QUOTE ]
On behalf of Mr. "SS427", thank you! That's a term I will use to describe him and his methods (and yes Rick, that's a compliment!!!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img]

Dennis
Old 04-11-2003, 08:34 PM

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2003, 08:44 PM

The Corvette guys have been using the asphalt based paint for years... Apparently getting it from the same supplier too.

http://www.quantaproducts.com/paint/paintindex.html

While it is "correct" for 1960s and early 1970s GM products, it is lousy from the standpoint of durability. As Micky noted, any gasoline, oil, or even exposure to inclement weather will remove it... If you plan to drive the car to any degree, this is NOT the paint to use.

Regards,

Stan Falenski