Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 09-26-2004, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Yenko Vegas?

What years was the Yenko Vega available ?
Old 09-26-2004, 04:20 PM

1971-73 they were avail. Roger
Old 09-29-2004, 06:16 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

Found this Yenko Vega rough notes on my computer - may be from an old post I did......

Don (and Chevy) had big plans to make the Vega a SCCA class race car like they did with the Stinger Corvair.
Yenko built a Vega race car to run Daytona.
Warren D was crew chief.
Yenko Sports Cars Inc was responsible for building and campaigning the car.
The engines came in crates from Chevy Engineering back door support (Vince Piggins's group).
They blew all the engines trying to qualify the car but never made the race.
There was a rule where the slowest car on the track had to be within a certain percentage of the fastest car. The Vega's speed difference was not acceptable. The Yenko Vega didn't make the race.
It was a cool looking car - blue with a large Yenko crest painted on it. have some slides from Daytona
The Vega engine sucked.
Chevy engineering built prototype turbo Vega
Chevy had a turbo Vega show car called vegavette or something like that
appears that Yenko began to sell them in 1971 and maybe up to 1973. They were in car magazines in 1971 and I found an ad for Group 7 Filters that has a sweepstakes where they show a 1973 Yenko Turbo Stinger as the Grand Prize.

I don't know if Yenko sold the Vega Stinger in 1973 or if this was a car built just for Group 7 Filters.

There was a Turbo Vega road test in Super Street Cars April 1972 that states the car ran 15.2 but Yenko told them it can get into the 14's. This car came through Hory Chevrolet in Larchmont N.Y. They said you have to get the turbo installed after you purchase the car from the dealer but Yenko planed to offer a complete Turbo car.

the Yenko Vega was done as a COPO with special HD pistons and some other parts done at the factory. I think it was COPO 9011 OR 9711.

It appears that Yenko had big plans to sell the Yenko Turbo Stinger Vega in 1972 as a complete car but the plans changed.

Stinger Stuff catolog had the turbo kits and special valve covers and some ad on spoilers, scoops, and other parts available.

There was a reference in a Yenko Stinger Stuff catalog that 200 Vegas were already built at the time the catalog was published but it is not clear if they were just Vegas with stripe kits or additional modifications. or Yenko exageration

Yenko had problems with the GOV to get the Turbo Vega passed the emission and safety regulations so did not sell complete turbo vegas
Old 10-01-2004, 05:53 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanks JoeC, today I saw a yellow Vega GT with a rear spoiler but no Yenko emblems so I didn't knock on the door of the house it was at. Did the Yenko Vega have any plaques or anything else that might give them away? and whats the story with the Cosworth Vega? Did Don have anything to do with this car?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 PM

1973 stinger currently on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...;category=6173