Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 01-04-2021, 04:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

"The Gasket Story"

As I mentioned, our '65 GTO was built early in September of 1964. There were rumblings of a strike that year, so the build of our car, a factory "demonstrator" - if you will - was hastened so that it could be out in public before the strike hit and not be trapped on GM property. As a result, Dad and I drove down on a Friday and picked the car up from the Engineering Building, complete with three 7.75 whitewalls installed, one 7.75 redline and a 7.35 whitewall for a spare. A three speed was installed in the car and the intended four speed was loose in the trunk. As expected, the following Monday the UAW went out on strike.

Naturally, we had the GTO home for about a day before Dad started tearing into it, prepping it for race usage. Heads off to be cut .030", thinner head gaskets, shimming valve springs, recurving the distributor, etc. As he started putting the car back together he went to set the intake back on and (...as we now know...) the pattern had changed from '64 to '65. He didn't have any of the "new style" intake gaskets, so he called Superior Pontiac/Cadillac in Flint and asked them if they did. They said "sure, come on down" so he went in and (...guess what...) they didn't. They had the '64 style. He informed them of the change and started calling around to find gaskets. He called Royal; same result - "yeah, we got 'em" (...they didn't...). Jesse had him call the manufacturer and he nearly had a deal finalized, saying they could send him a couple until they realized he was a private individual rather than in some "official" capacity. Dad was getting ready to get some gasket material and make his own when Jesse had a bright idea: they could get some out of the Pontiac motor plant. He had heard Jim Wangers was heading over there to do some kind of marketing presentation and, since the plant was on strike, Dad should be able to get in there and get what he needed. The deal was struck and the time set. Dad was to wear his best suit and was going to get into the plant with a "Press" pass.

Dad was supposed to meet Jim at his office one morning shortly thereafter. After sitting in the waiting room for quite awhile Jim emerged from his office; they hopped into Jim's big yellow 2+2 "School Bus" and after a quick stop for an early lunch they made it over to the entrance at the Pontiac facility. The place was awash with activity, as there are all these UAW employees out picketing in front of the plant. As they drive through the gate, Jim saw someone he knew so he stopped the car to shoot the bull with this guy. That was fine until Dad saw someone HE knew! Pretty incriminating for him to be going into a plant, while it was on strike, him in a suit, and a UAW diemaker at that! He said "Jim, get me outta here!" pulled his suitcoat up over his head and they zipped through the gate without any further incident.

Once inside, Jim took his portfolio and papers and went up to the front offices and Dad headed out to the floor. Imagine an empty plant during shutdown: lights are off, everything is quiet, just a few individuals in sitting around playing cards or table tennis in the break areas. Finally, a guy showed up on a three wheeled scooter and says "Whattya need, Slim?". Dad said "I'm the guy that needs the gaskets". So he hopped on the scooter and they wind their way back into the bowels of the plant. They pull up to a work area and, sure enough, here are baskets and baskets (...and baskets...) of gaskets. The guy hands Dad a stack about two feet high and says "How many do you need?". Dad grabbed enough to reassemble his motor plus a few extras and they got out of there. Needless to say, for a few weeks after that the local guys were calling us to see if we had intake gaskets so they could put their cars back together.

As far as our car, we had it back together shortly thereafter. By the time of the "official" introduction - "Pontiac Day" at Detroit Dragway on Sunday, September 27 - we were already tuned up and hit the ground running, making some low 12.90 passes in B/S trim.
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-05-2021 at 01:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 04:56 PM

The Beginning of the End (and the End)

For 1966, Dad was given an OHC 6 cylinder Sprint to race. With some modifications he was able to get this car to run in the 12's. After spending all season developing the car and getting it to run properly, it was returned to Royal and sold as a factory demonstrator.

He didn't prefer the new '66 GTOs to his existing '65 and elected to keep his car (it probably didn't hurt that he kept the car at home now, and did not bring it down when looking at the '66s. Having a clear title in his possession was helpful, too).

For the 1967 season he elected to run our car, but in the B/Modified Production class. This class was a little less restrictive than the stock classes, and allowed him to run the newer tripower, better heads and a larger slick. It was in this configuration that the car ran it's best ever ET of 12.23 at 118 mph.*

For 1968, we had a new GTO with a few unique features: it was a 400 2 bbl (Ram Air), auto trans column shift, Rally ones with redlines. The most interesting feature, though, was the car was silver with black up around the back window. It was a test car for an appearance package, and they were trying to determine if the scheme should be done with stickers (on the line or at the dealer) or with paint.

By now the "bloom was off the rose" with Royal. Either it was the drain of being told where to race, when to race, how to race (and, in some cases, who would win) or it was the dynamics of trying to work with a team, but Dad was pretty much done. He left in late 1968/early 1969, running our car independently until it was unceremoniously parked in 1974.

Royal would be sold a few years later and the "Glory Days", for us, were done. Just like the Pony Express, which captures the imagination of Americans even though it existed for 10 short years, Royal Pontiac would stir the minds of young men both then and for years to come.

* It was also in this configuration that the car was parked and sat untouched until the mid to late 1990s. Other than replacing the 1.65 rocker arms with 1.50 arms, and reshimming the valve spring shims, the car is currently, today, sporting these same modifications and is fully functional.

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-05-2021 at 01:42 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (01-04-2021), Xplantdad (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Not Really the End

We didn't know it at the time but the car would be parked for nearly 25 years.

By the fall of 1974, Dad would be diagnosed with Rhuematoid Arthritis, which he would struggle with for the rest of his life. It was severe enough to be nearly disabling - to a lesser man - but managed to slow Dad down. He was not able to drive the GTO since he could not push the clutch in without significant pain.

I was distracted with racing my Chevelle, which I am still running today. I recall in the mid 80's, for a special outing, we borrowed a set of slicks and I stroked the car to an easy 12.40 pass. The car sat again after that brief exercise.

Finally, in the late 1990's, I was able to convince Dad to let the car sit at my house, more secure in one of the back barns rather than in the front garage at his house. While the car was in my possession I was able to secretly reinstall the redline tires and rally I wheels, as well as do some minor engine modifications to get it running again (replaced the aluminum valve spring retainers, reshimmed the valve springs and rebuilt the carbs, cleaned out the fuel tank). I was able to surprise him for his birthday with the correct appearing and nicely running car.

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-04-2021 at 07:36 PM.

The Beginning of a New Era

By the late 90's and early 00's we were getting significant pressure from our family and our Pontiac friends to begin doing more with the car, perhaps participating in local shows and parades. Stubborn as he was, Dad finally acquiesced and our big "coming out" was to be the Widetracker's Dustoff show in May of 2003.*

We brought the car to the show as we normally would, arriving without fanfare at about 6:30 am to get set up. As is my custom I taped a small, 8.5x11 sheet of paper to the window describing some of the history and details as we have already discussed.

What would be different this time is that freelance writer Jeff Koch was on the property. He took notice of the writeup and, after a brief interview with Dad, he was (naturally) smitten. He wanted to do a feature article on the car.

We said yes. The plan was for us to wait until after the show: he would be photographing two other special Pontiacs and would do ours last, after the lighting was better. We waited until about 8:30 pm for his return (remember, we had been there since 6:30 am) and finally....finally got our photo shoot done.

*It was kind of funny because, unbeknownst to Dad, the Widetrackers had planned to have the car on display as one of the "feature" vehicles, on the midway for some special recognition. My son James and I had been cleaning and planning for the event for weeks in advance. Finally, the day before the show, Dad said "ya know, nobody has said anything else about bringing the GTO. I think we should stay home". As calmly as possible I relayed that I had, in fact, been in contact with the Widetrackers and that we couldn't bounce around on this decision; that James and I had been working hard to get ready and that we needed to go. He agreed and the rest, as they say, is history.
Xplantdad (01-04-2021)

It took roughly nine months of corresponding with Jeff (reviewing rough drafts, submitting additional data, sending vintage photos, etc) but finally the article was done and was to hit the stands. Not just one part, as anticipated, but two parts minimum, and additionally readers were encouraged to write as well.

The magazines came out in February 2004, March 2004 and commentary in May 2004.*

One other fun thing that happened at that time: Jeff was also working for Johnny Lightning at the time. They were planning on bringing out a new model of 1965 GTO and asked if he could use the artwork of our photoshoot on the packaging. Naturally we said yes and received a couple boxes of these as a thank you.

Since that time the car has also been mentioned in Charlie Morris' book "Factory Lightweights", and also will be included in an upcoming book about the Supercar dealerships of the 60's by reknown photographer David Newhardt.

* HPP was also kind enough to run a short obituary in May of 2006, after Dad's passing.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:58 PM

Plans for 2008

Since Dad's passing in November of 2005 the Widetrackers have remembered his name by awarding the "Best of Show" award at the annual May Dustoff.

Our family was on hand at that first show in 2006 and we will, once again, be there to present the award this year as well.

For more info about the Widetrackers Chapter of the POCI and the annual Dustoff, see: http://widetrackers.com/

Also for this year we have been asked to bring the GTO to the "Eyes on Design" Concours Event held at the Edsel Ford Estate. One of the special displays at the event will be a recognition of GM's 100 year anniversary: significant GM vehicles are to be highlighted and we were asked to represent the Pontiac GTO.

For both this year and in the future, my plans are to maintain this car in it's current state: both by not allowing its condition to degrade any further and by keeping it in it's 1967 season B/MP trim. I have all the parts to return the engine to completely stock (intake manifold and carbs, exhaust manifolds and cylinder heads) but prefer to keep it in it's current set up in deference to my Dad's legacy and as a steward of "his" car (not my own).

To me, it will always be "Van Seymore's '65 GTO".

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-04-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:59 PM

From November of 2009:

Got my advanced copy of the latest Darwin Holmstrom/David Newhardt book in the mail over the weekend. I was pleased to find the GTO was mentioned (by name) and a couple photos present on page 99. These are a sampling of the shots from the aforementioned November 2007 photo shoot with David Newhardt.

Other PYer's who figured prominantly in the book were: Eric White (67 GTO convert) and a big "thank you" from the author to Dr Eric Schiffer (whose '68 convertible is also featured). David Anderson and Mr Wangers are also called out, as well as Jim Kennedy's '62 as shown above.

The book is getting rave reviews from those who have seen it, including Mr Wangers, and I highly recommend it for any GTO enthusiast.

K

Xplantdad (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:01 PM

June, 2009:

This Father's Day weekend I had the opportunity to participate in the "Eyes on Design" event, held at the Edsel Ford Estate.

The show is an "invitation only" event (cars are chosen by a selection committee) and benefits the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology. The show is also unique in the way cars are judged, not by how well they are restored (or survived) but by how the design (ie, styling) created trends, enabled technology or reflected the culture.

The theme for our specific display was the advertising artwork of Art Fitzpatick/Van Kaufman. I was asked to bring both the GTO and the Grand Prix. As you might expect the vehicles were displayed with the corresponding advertising art.

At any rate I won a "Design of Distinction" award, based at least in part on the car's originality.

Here is the "elusive" Keith Seymore, posing with judges (and former GM Design heads) Bill Porter and Kip Wasenko:

Xplantdad (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:02 PM

One of the things I enjoy about being "my father's son" is finding the little surprises he left behind.

I was in his garage the other day and I found this "well loved" Chassis Service Manual:

This was significant (to me) for a couple reasons:

First - I found this folded up in the middle of the pages:

I realize it's impossible to read (anybody else remember the old "onionskin" typing paper?), so I retyped it here so that it would be legible:

It's the service letter introducing the "Ram Air" package. Since we raced our car with an early ram air box installed, Dad used this letter as verification that he could legally run the airbox in NHRA competition.

Then, there was this "To Do" list (a list of things, from "beyond the grave", that he wanted ME to finish ):

Lastly, as I was flipping through the pages, I found these sketches:

As you might guess, there's a story there, too.
Xplantdad (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:02 PM

Dad had the opportunity, through his connections at Royal, to work a little bit with Roger Huntington. For those not familiar with Roger he was a free-lance author and tinker-er, and fancied himself to be somewhat "forward thinking" in the areas of performance and automotive engineering. He probably was, actually, but was crippled by polio and therefore wheelchair bound; as a result he had to live out these theories through others and the subsequent articles.

Recall that the main issue facing these high horsepower cars back then was the lack of traction. Conventional wisdom called for production rear suspensions, as released by the manufacturer, and the addition of "Atlas Bucrons", or some other "soft" compound tire. There were no wrinklewalls, no "fat" tires, no water burnouts, and traction compounds were for the fledgling professional race categories (if at all).

There had been some thought that "longer" rear control arms were better, perhaps resulting from successes with the Swiss Cheese cars and other big Pontiacs. In fact, some work had already been done installing these longer Catalina lower control arms on the smaller intermediate sized GTO's.

Roger proposed that this thinking could be taken to the extreme: if a lower control arm, or traction bar, could be fabricated to attach all the way up at the car's "center of gravity", then that would be ideal, right? So between he and Dad they devised a scheme to fabricate such a device and install it on our GTO. The sketches you see here are the result of that brainstorming session.

The first order of business would be to locate the CG of the car, in the fore/aft direction. Dad had told me previously about jacking the car up, using a small scissors style jack on each side, and moving them forward and rearward along the car until it "balanced" with the front and rear tires off the ground. This would establish the location for the forward attachment point, at each frame rail. Square tubing was used to fabricate the bars themselves and they were clamped to the rear axle tube to secure the rear of the bar.

In short order the new setup was ready for testing. Arrangements were made to rent one of the local tracks and Dad and Roger met there with high hopes and great expectations. After warming the car, Dad proceeding to the starting line for the first test pass. Equipped with a skinny set of M&H "Racemasters" - a couple short, "dry hops" indicated everything was in order - Dad staged the car and the tree came down. Dad launched the car and BOOM!! it immediately spun end for end, moving only a few feet forward and pointing exactly back the way he came. Shaken, Dad "putt-putted" back toward the bleach box area and shut the car off to regain his composure.

After a short break a second run was attempted. Dad tried "driving" the car out (a much less violent launch), but the car never gained traction down the quarter mile, slipping and sliding until the run was finally aborted. The "traction bar" concept seemed to be a dismal and complete failure, after just these two attempted passes.

Today, in hindsight, we can see why these would not work. Per the "doorslammer" chassis guru's, like Chris Alston or Dave Morgan, the instant center of the 4 link rear suspension is driven rearward and down from the production location, providing more "percentage of rise" when compared to the car's center of gravity. Today we would never consider moving the instant center to go directly "through" the heart of the CG; what they had tried out was completely "directionally incorrect".

As has been said before, you can learn as much from your mistakes as from your successes. The rear suspension was returned to it's "production" configuration (ie, control arms attached at their original locations, reworked bushings*, air bag located in right rear spring), and it is in this condition that the car ran it's best ET and is how it sits today. It is basically the same setup that I have on my bracket/index car today.

Dad had mentioned that some of the bracketry and holes can still be seen under the car; I haven't checked specifically but the next time it's up in the air I will take a look.

K

*an old hot rodder trick is to drive 10 penny nails longitudinally into the bushings. The diameter of the nails take up space inside the bushing, compressing the rubber further and giving the end result of making the rubber appear "harder". Today we would probably simply purchase polyurethane bushings and install those but back then they were not yet available.
Xplantdad (01-04-2021)