Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

It shouldn't have the bumper bracket holes in the subframe. I have body 932 and it doesn't have holes! Uses a Large J Nut to hold the bumper bracket on.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtech View Post
Here are some pics of the NOS crank. My engine builder says he's had this since the early 70's and has been with him through a few marriages.
Wow!- this project is rockin' Now!
Who are you using for engine build? Not many guys left in SJ area.
Cheers-
Old 05-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Thanked 1,088 Times in 207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Wow!- this project is rockin' Now!
Who are you using for engine build? Not many guys left in SJ area.
Cheers-
Gary Keeling Automotive Machine 884 Aldo Ave Santa Clara

Really great guy and has been in the business over 40 years I believe, but his door says he is always closed because "I want to be left alone to work" He is usually there from 4 AM and leaves before Noon. If you ring the doorbell and he is there he will come out.

Also, my frame has no subframe horn access holes, I even have a spare frame in storage!

Vin is 100118

The vin stamp has additional stamp that I was told when the car sold I think 12/6. So it sat in the dealership and wasn't sold until December. I bought the car off a gentlemen who told me this car was most likely the pretty car sitting in the dealership for mainly display purposes as it was a base L6 model with the style trim group.

When I bought the car it had been swapped over to a V8/4 speed for many years. All of the sheetmetal is original to the car with exception to the fenders, and front header panel. The RH Fender is a GM replacement which wasn't drilled for emblems, the LH Fender is a V8 Fender that had the engine emblem covered with filler before the second repaint. So in its last rendition it was a Red V8, 4 Speed car with no engine size emblems. The son had got a hold of the car and used it pretty hard and the car was non-op'd since '94. I bought the car in Redding and towed it home to San Jose in 2014. It looks like it had one terrible exterior and interior repaint. The LH Quarter needs replacing, it was hit and someone did a terrible repair, the RH Quarter is fairly straight. Whatever person had this car before me sure had their fun... now it's my turn.

I know the seats were recovered at some point with that red and white pattern. I'm still not sure if If I should go full vinyl red original or copy these style covers which I think are pretty cool too.
Attached Images

67 Camaro L78

Last edited by jbtech; 05-06-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: pics
Old 05-06-2020, 10:32 PM

That's correct DD on the VIN tag means delivery date
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck_Burg For This Useful Post:
jbtech (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Burg View Post
That's correct DD on the VIN tag means delivery date
Thanks I learn something new everyday! So I'm now an NCRS member and I've been told I could contact them to get the dealership information and delivery date. Would be fun to compare to the stamp.

67 Camaro L78
Old 05-06-2020, 11:14 PM

Thanked 5,995 Times in 2,925 Posts

Wow! The 118th saleable Camaro built in VN.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:36 AM

I've never been so pumped for this project! Thanks a lot to Anthony for helping me with the very cool vision of this build! This isn't necessarily a Day2 build since there aren't really aftermarket parts on the car with exception of the headers, gauges, and traction bar (still need these). More like trips to the junkyard pulling parts off of performance cars of the day.

454 short block, 427 top end, 71 Camaro brake setup (67 front calipers), Vette steering wheel (and possibly shifter handle).

So it's a 70's 454 as the crank is sort of a giveaway, BUT it's going to look almost exactly like a 69 427 engine with correct 69 Drippers (No Cheater Drippers here) but with 67 big block pulley arrangement. I like the alternator on the LH side just in case I run a Mark IV ac with correct compressor don't hate me. So even if I did pop the hood, it's still hiding it's true identity to the untrained eye which I think is fun. Wait until you all see the air cleaner.

Also having fun thinking about what to put on the engine stamp pad... Any suggestions? So far I really like "MADE YOU LOOK"

Should I paint the heads orange to match the block which would be "correct"? Or should we show off the aluminum heads like we bought them over the counter and slapped them on?

I've been really having fun getting into the details of this build. I have NOS M code head bolts for the engine, (Engine builder suggested we can use them for the visible bolts) But I want to find correct NOS washers. Anyone?

That reminds me you all have made me hardware picky which is fun. Now I want correct intake bolts, bracket bolts, you name it.

Also have any of you ever put a big block with standard drop base air cleaner under a flat hood? Or have seen it? I've read somewhere that there was about an inch of clearance under an SS hood. I really want to stick with the flat hood.

The interior vision is pretty much complete with exception to the seat covers, I'm leaning more toward plain original red seat covers. Thanks to Jason I have my complete '67 Yenko style Stewart Warner gauge set ready to go including hard to find correct 2 5/8" 100-250 degree water gauge for the triple gauges under the dash.

What do you all use for correct spray bomb Chevy orange?

Does Eastwood chassis black match the 30% gloss required by most of the engine bay?

And finally the most important question of this post....

Anyone know where can I get an NOS Caution Fan sticker?

67 Camaro L78
The Following User Says Thank You to jbtech For This Useful Post:
HawkX66 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 12:16 PM

Love what you're doing. Congrats on diving in! As far as the a/c goes, I'd consider running it. My wife and son's ride with me all the time. They love ripping around in the 69 almost as much as I do. Living in an a/c world and with the humidity in VA, it would be nice to have it sometimes. Unfortunately, like has been mentioned, it will really detract from the rest of the engine bay and from the look it sounds like you're going for. That'll end up being a completely personal choice.
I'd be inclined to leave the heads aluminum. L89s had them raw aluminum didn't they?
You can get the "Caution Fan" sticker, NOS, at www.losersrus.com. lolol...

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
The Following User Says Thank You to HawkX66 For This Useful Post:
jbtech (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:02 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

Leave the heads bare. I don't know if you have noticed or not, but the snow flake on the 077 head is smaller than it is on the 074 head. Most people will never notice.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=jbtech;1497935]Gary Keeling Automotive Machine 884 Aldo Ave Santa Clara

Really great guy and has been in the business over 40 years I believe, but his door says he is always closed because "I want to be left alone to work" He is usually there from 4 AM and leaves before Noon. If you ring the doorbell and he is there he will come out.

Such a small world- Gary was who I was going to recommend if needed- He just built a stout 427 BBC for my buddy- picked it up last week. Going into a '69 SS396 El Camino that will be driven near daily, dressed to look like stock 375HP 396. Using a Hyd. Roller from Chris Straub. and TH400 with GV and 3:55 12 bolt. Looking forward to firing it up soon.
Gary is very meticulous and really knows his stuff.
Good Luck!
Jerry

Tags
1967 camaro, 427, big block, sleeper, z21