Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

Lol...you idiot. You see your reflection but say “no gloss”.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Thanked 6,078 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Lillard View Post
Lol...you idiot. You see your reflection but say “no gloss”.
OK moron! if you think that is the same GLOSS black they applied to the full exterior of cars then were done! (BTW I left the T off and meant not gloss as in full gloss) My point was to show an original example and how poorly it reflects. In fact I believe I identified the picture file as 65% gloss. This example is pretty dull because it hasn't been polished, which overtime will increase the reflective properties.

. As for the other variable that cause variations in paint such as temperature and humidity those should affect all paint not just the black out areas. In my opinion and the examples I have seen I'm convinced the blackout was not intended to be full gloss PERIOD.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:
www.vintagecertification.com
Old 04-17-2018, 07:35 PM

Im curious what the Super Car Workshop, Frank Arone, Mike Slaughter, and other highly awarded painters are using for black formulas...???? Nobody will share their "secret sauce" recipe's
70 Camaro R/S Z-28, L-78, R/S SS
69 Camaro COPO "recreation"

Last edited by CamarosRus; 04-17-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:07 PM

Here we go again.......
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m22mike For This Useful Post:
X66 714 (04-17-2018), x77-69z28 (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:01 PM

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

So I’m the Moron because you spelled a word wrong. I believe the argument is if the tail panel was painted a satin or flat like I see many restorations or gloss and the pic you showed furthers my opinion that it was a gloss finish. That does not mean it has to be body color gloss black. You see a REFLECTION ! I don’t care what % you assign to it. :-)

Last edited by Charley Lillard; 04-17-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:05 AM
Administrator

This is what I posted on 12/15/15 post #59

Re: 69 Camaro BB blacked out panel?
Mike there's another black car that also has the same contrasting black applied to the tail panel( Bob's car a member on this site). It is my belief that blacked out tail panels & rockers were 70-80% gloss(a different formula from black exterior paint used). As many have pointed out, there are variables that may have contributed to the degree of gloss, such as temperature and polishing over the years. I've owned and inspected many car with blacked out tail panels and rockers and that is my conclusion.

Vintage Certification™ , Providing Recognition to Unrestored Muscle Cars. Website:

For those of you who don't know, Charley and I we are very good friends and he's like the little brother I'd like to beat the crap out of just cause !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Shauger For This Useful Post:
m22mike (04-18-2018), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 12:10 AM

Still not glossy
Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 AM

Thanked 136,486 Times in 22,778 Posts

Black-out Paint Applications

Certain first-generation Camaro models had semi-gloss black-out paint applied to the body to influence the appearance. There were two types: a "ground-effect" black-out applied to the rocker-panel/body-sill area for certain exterior trim options and a blacked-out tailpan applied to SS-396 cars.

Body sill black-out paint was applied to Z22 (RS) cars in 1967 and 1968 and to Z21 (style trim) and Z22 (RS) in 1969. But there were several body colors that were simply just too dark for this paint scheme to be effective and for these colors, the body sill black-out paint was omitted. Additionally, the body sill black-out was omitted for the 1969 Z11 Indy Pace Car convertible trim package and the 1969 Z10 coupe trim package. A Chevrolet Product Bulletin dated 2-4-69 describes the Z11 (Pace Car trim package) package and includes this instruction: "Body sill to be painted white instead of black." Although no instructions have been found for the Z10 coupe, the intent would have been the same.

There was also a paint color exception for the SS-396 tailpan black-out, but it was limited to black vehicles and the Z11 and Z10. Black SS-396 cars would not have received the (semi-gloss) blacked-out tailpans. But it should be noted that a few original paint black SS-396's have been observed with blacked-out tailpanels - the paint difference is only visible at the paint tape line.

http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml#BlackoutPaint
Old 04-18-2018, 02:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
Black-out Paint Applications

Certain first-generation Camaro models had semi-gloss black-out paint applied to the body to influence the appearance. There were two types: a "ground-effect" black-out applied to the rocker-panel/body-sill area for certain exterior trim options and a blacked-out tailpan applied to SS-396 cars.

Body sill black-out paint was applied to Z22 (RS) cars in 1967 and 1968 and to Z21 (style trim) and Z22 (RS) in 1969. But there were several body colors that were simply just too dark for this paint scheme to be effective and for these colors, the body sill black-out paint was omitted. Additionally, the body sill black-out was omitted for the 1969 Z11 Indy Pace Car convertible trim package and the 1969 Z10 coupe trim package. A Chevrolet Product Bulletin dated 2-4-69 describes the Z11 (Pace Car trim package) package and includes this instruction: "Body sill to be painted white instead of black." Although no instructions have been found for the Z10 coupe, the intent would have been the same.

There was also a paint color exception for the SS-396 tailpan black-out, but it was limited to black vehicles and the Z11 and Z10. Black SS-396 cars would not have received the (semi-gloss) blacked-out tailpans. But it should be noted that a few original paint black SS-396's have been observed with blacked-out tailpanels - the paint difference is only visible at the paint tape line.

http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml#BlackoutPaint
Although there are sill blackout exceptions due to dark exterior colors, I have inspected original paint cars with the following colors burnished brown, fathom green, tahoe turquoise and cordovan maroon on the exception list, but their sills are blacked out. These could be one-offs, perhaps work instructions weren't followed or changes were made to the exception list. Here are a few pics of my orig paint tahoe turquoise car.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2018, 12:04 PM

I probably saved them from this thread, but here are a couple of my favorite pics that show how the tail panel black was flatter than what most consider to be gloss black. Yes, there are different levels of gloss... The notes I have on the black car is that it was a 5k mile survivor. The rest of the pics are also from survivor cars. The boots I wore in the Marines were flat as flat can be leaving the factory. Once I spit polished them you could see your reflection.

And a few pics of the rockers that I've saved:

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66

Last edited by HawkX66; 04-18-2018 at 12:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkX66 For This Useful Post:
m22mike (04-18-2018), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (04-18-2018)