Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 08-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts
Default 2001 Black WS6 Trans Am, 6-speed

2001 WS6 Trans Am with a 6-speed manual transmission. Black with ebony leather interior. 63,640 documented miles. Original born-with engine, T56 transmission and rear. I purchased it in 2014 from the original owner, who bought it new in Cinnaminson, New Jersey. Being a maintenance fanatic, she purchased 15 years of GM extended warranties on the car and it was dealer maintained up into 2016! I have every piece of original paperwork on the car – window sticker, invoice, and a ¾ inch thick, stack of GM receipts from day one to this year.

It is a real WS6 car with the confirmation letter from ASC indicating it is one of 1,583 Black, WS6’s with T-Tops and a 6 speed, made in 2001.

The WS6 was an upgrade from the Trans Am (similar to the Camaro SS). The cars were shipped from the assembly line to ASC where they were upgraded and then shipped to the receiving dealers. The WS6 package included the Ram Air hood, matching air cleaner, upgraded suspension, power steering cooler, 17” wheels with 275/40R17 tires and free flowing dual exhaust. Other options on this car are the factory installed Hurst shifter, traction control, and custom leather buckets. The original sticker price was $32,070 in 2001.

The only thing that differs from stock is a Magna Flow muffler that the original owner added. In perusing the 16 years of service records, the items replaced have been a door speaker, the alternator, various idler pulleys, one catalytic converter, the steering rack, power steering pump and hoses, and the rear differential was rebuilt and the bearings were replaced. All of this was done by GM dealers under warranty with only GM parts.

Things I have done to the car since I bought it in 2014: I changed the original plugs and wires (All original parts have been saved and go with the car). The plugs were burning perfectly as you can see in the photo. I replaced the carpet, which was heavily stained with years of spilled coffee marks. I also replaced the driver’s door panel (which had the typical crack at the top) with a perfect door panel. I also had the outer sail panel removed and replaced with a sail panel from a prior year Trans Am. (GM had a major issue with a faulty adhesive used on the assembly line to attach the sail panels on the Camaros and Firebirds from 1999 onward: after several years, the adhesive would eat through the plastic body panel and cause blisters in the plastic and paint. A technical service bulletin detailed the extensive process and parts needed to replace the panel properly. Had the original owner known of this “secret recall” she would have definitely had it done by the dealer – but they never volunteered the information while she had the car.

The car runs, drives, and handles beautifully. Everything works including the power antenna. Very tight and crisp performance from the 63,000 mile, Ram Air, 325 horsepower LS1 and 3.42 rear end ratio. The original clutch works perfectly with no noises from the throw-out bearing. The original owner was an over-the-road truck driver and knew how to drive a stick! She was a very cool lady, indeed.

The 6-speed WS6 cars are extremely hard to find – the majority you see for sale are automatics. It is even harder to find one that had not been modified and beaten to death. This car is a very nice, unmolested example and you will not be disappointed.

$16,000. ***** (reduced to $15,000 as of 10/8/17)

The car is here in central New Jersey. Full VIN available on request including block VIN photo which was a doozy to get - I had to use a mirror and photograph it in reverse - it is nearly impossible to get access to!

Thanks, Steve

PM me here and I will respond back ASAP.
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 10-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry window sticker.jpg TSB p2 Firebird.jpg TSB p1 Firebird.jpg rear rt.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-27-2017, 12:44 AM

Paperwork!
Attached Images

Last edited by njsteve; 08-27-2017 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:46 AM

The underside, and the original spark plugs at 62,000 miles.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2017, 02:13 PM

Wow, nice WS6! Didn't the 6 speed cars get the 3.42 gear (GU6) and auto's received the 2.73 or 3.23 for performance?

Paul

Last edited by Hotrodpaul; 08-27-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM

I just rechecked and you are correct. It is 3.42. I edited the original paragraph to reflect that. Thanks for catching that!

Last edited by njsteve; 08-27-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Isn't this the car you bought for your son? Has he decided he wanted something different?
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Yes, he wants a Challenger Demon...or a Hellcat...or an SRT...(I was thinking a nice used V6 Charger or Challenger might be more appropriate). The WS6 was on our collector car insurance policy and he realized that he wouldn't be able to drive it until he was 25.

He actually has a 2006 Honda Civic that I got from a coworker a few months back. That will be his daily driver once he gets his full license in a couple months. We have been getting that all ready for him. It was my coworker's vacation house car that sat and never got driven. They sold the vacation house and had no need for the car. It had brand new Michelins on it but they were installed ten years ago and dry rotted so we had to replace them. That was painful to do but the tires weren't safe anymore. Got the airbag recall done, a new set of tires, and an oil change and she runs great.

So if anyone wants a nice, unabused WS6 with bulletproof pedigree come and get her!

Last edited by njsteve; 08-27-2017 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:45 PM

Good choice! I've been where you're at - all sorts of high horsepower, no airbag cars around they would LOVE to drive, but we need something safe for them.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-30-2017, 01:21 AM

Hi! Very nice looking car! How is the paint? All original? Any chips or scratches that pics don't show?
Old 08-30-2017, 11:35 AM

I'd rather over-describe and have someone pleasantly surprised than unpleasantly disappointed. The body looks to be original paint. The exceptions would be the previously mentioned replacement sail panel, and the rear spoiler which had some bad factory paint on it. The shop resprayed it when they did the sail panel). Keep in mind that these cars had resin-transfer-molded front fenders and doors. The only metal is the rear quarter panels. It all looks very nice and matches perfectly. In reviewing the paperwork, the Ram Air hood was damaged when nearly new and the hood was replaced with a brand new GM hood which was painted correctly and the very expensive factory decals reapplied. (It's crazy, but those little "Ram Air" letters were a couple hundred bucks when bought from GM and not the $10 version from the interweb). I would say it is very nice paint. Like all black cars it could probably use a nice detailing.

Last edited by njsteve; 08-30-2017 at 05:04 PM.