Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 01:01 AM

Default 80's factory lightweights?

Let's say it's 1987, and you head down to the local dealer to order a new Mustang/Camaro/Firebird/Turbo Regal/whatever. Your plan is to go racing, and with that in mind you attempt to order it with the sound deadener, insulation and seam sealer deleted. Is there a legal reason that the factory would have refused this order?

I've been trying to get a definitive answer on this for a couple of years, but nothing 100% concrete. One guy told me he thought there might be some kind of liability under some aspect of the consumer protection laws, but couldn't point out anything specific.

Thoughts? Comments? Blind speculation?
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-23-2015, 01:17 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 80's factory lightweights?

In the early '80's, Popular Hot Rodding built an NHRA-legal Super Stock Olds Cutlass from a brand new special order car and if I remember correctly, it may have had some lightweight deletions like that. I wanna say that it may have been called "Project O" or something like that.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:04 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: markjohnson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the early '80's, Popular Hot Rodding built an NHRA-legal Super Stock Olds Cutlass from a brand new special order car and if I remember correctly, it may have had some lightweight deletions like that. I wanna say that it may have been called &quot;Project O&quot; or something like that. </div></div>

I've heard stories about some sort of special lightweight G-body Cutlass back then, but I've never been able to nail down any details. I wonder if they would have come on an MSO or a bill of sale only...
Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: old5.0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's say it's 1987, and you head down to the local dealer to order a new Mustang/Camaro/Firebird/Turbo Regal/whatever. Your plan is to go racing, and with that in mind you attempt to order it with the sound deadener, insulation and seam sealer deleted. Is there a legal reason that the factory would have refused this order?

I've been trying to get a definitive answer on this for a couple of years, but nothing 100% concrete. One guy told me he thought there might be some kind of liability under some aspect of the consumer protection laws, but couldn't point out anything specific.

Thoughts? Comments? Blind speculation? </div></div>

Relative to road racing only,specific to factory built cars, the RPO ILE was introduced for fbods in 1988. It was a &quot;delete&quot; option with special components for track purpose, they were lightweights only by virtue of being stripper models-no special parts to reduce OA weight(like the 14-15 Z28)
Old 03-23-2015, 10:10 AM

If the factory did not offer it as an option it could not be done. It was a different time in the 80's then it was in the 60's as far as liability goes. Since none of the manufactures offered a sound deadener delete and sealer delete, it was not available. Ford had the Cobra R's which had no radio, ac and no back seat. That would be the closest thing to a 'lightweight' factory car

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:41 AM

I thought Olds had built, or was considering building 50 special Cutlass cars to drag racing with the help of Ed Quay race cars. I don't know if that ever happened but, I am fairly certain that I read about it back then.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyingn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the factory did not offer it as an option it could not be done. It was a different time in the 80's then it was in the 60's as far as liability goes. Since none of the manufactures offered a sound deadener delete and sealer delete, it was not available. Ford had the Cobra R's which had no radio, ac and no back seat. That would be the closest thing to a 'lightweight' factory car </div></div>

This is correct.

The factory would not have been able to simply delete the materials spontaneously; it would have to be a pre-defined, thought out approved package with a specific RPO assigned (like the 1LE Camaros mentioned above).

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM

I think the 1LE's had an aluminum driveshaft to cut weight (?)
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:48 PM

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,605 Posts

----Bodies in white have always been an option for those who are connected or know how. They are just that, though, and nothing more. Not even a C-of-O. At the most, a bill of sale.....Bill S
Old 03-23-2015, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just to clarify, an 87 Mustang coupe with the above deletions does exist. I've seen the car and the paperwork; both are legit. It was ordered with the 5.0 5-speed drivetrain, radio delete and no other options. The original owner attempted to order it with manual steering and brakes, as well, but that was declined.

The OO did indicate that the process of ordering the car was... interesting. Numerous hoops were jumped through. I want to determine whether those hoops were due to some sort of illegality or because Ford just didn't want to be bothered with building the car.