Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 10-30-2010, 08:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Bill Stephenson's SJ Grand Prix!

Bill, the GP looks fantastic... great job! Its begging for trim rings! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] Gives the wheel a deeper look.

Grant
Old 11-06-2010, 08:04 PM

Wow, what a beautiful GP! Those 69-72 Grand Prix's were truly special cars, and John DeLorean was very proud of his personal luxury car. The all-new 1969 Grand Prix was another home run for Pontiac, and ushered in a new era of 'personal luxury' cars in the 1970's. The Grand Prix was soon followed by the Chevy Monte Carlo, then Ford (and the rest) developed their own personal luxury cars, using the Grand Prix long hood/short deck design, and sporty driver-focused cockpits.

The 1969 Grand Prix SHOULD have won the 1969 Motor Trend Car Of The Year. The criteria for the Car Of The Year is that a vehicle had to either be a new model, or a totally redesigned version of an existing model. Also, any significant design or technical advances, creating a new class of car, etc., would make a car a strong candidate for the Car Of The Year.

For 1968, it was a no-brainer for Motor Trend. The all-new GTO was a totally new design, revolutionary Endura bumper, hideaway headlights, it was the obvious choice. But Chrysler felt slighted because Motor Trend did not give the award to their new Road Runner. Granted, the 1968 Road Runner was also all-new, and it too created a new class of cars (the budget Musclecar), but the GTO edged it out...

In 1969, along comes another winner from Pontiac; the 1969 Grand Prix. Totally new design, and the term 'personal luxury' car was used to describe its unique niche in the market. The Grand Prix sold like hotcakes, and it's huge ironing board hood, short deck lid, and wraparound cockpit was very innovative and stylish. It was a shoe-in for the 1969 Motor Trend Car Of The Year. But Motor Trend gave the 1969 award to the Road Runner. Odd, considering the 1969 Road Runner was basically a carryover from 1968.

Another little bit of trivia on the 1969 Grand Prix. The 1969 Grand Prix offered a leather interior, unusual (but not unheard of) for a GM car at that time. The only other Pontiac that was available with the luxurious leather interior that year was the Firebird, and the only color choice was gold.

Very cool car, I love the 69-72 Grand Prix's! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/Can-I-Have-It.gif[/img]

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM

I think Pontiac goofed up by not going with a bigger fan shroud.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astock For This Useful Post:
ScottG (07-11-2022)
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

----Jim,,,I havent had much to chuckle about lately, but I just did!!!.......Bill S
Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM

I've always been a big fan of this era Grand Prix. Especially the interiors of these cars. I love how the dash and console is totally orientated towards the driver and the passenger is just kinda sittin' over there all alone just enjoying the ride! I wanna say that I remember C-Lill having a particularly nice one of these a few years ago. Anyway, a great car and they're actually quite reasonable still because they've always been in the GTO's shadow......until you ride in the Grand Prix and then you realize which of the two is REALLY the nicer car of the two!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM

I had a buddy that had one of these, I thought it had a 428. It was around Christmas 1978 he was letting it warm up before leaving work. Parked about 10 feet from the gas pumps, by the time we knew what was happening it was too late to save it. It turned out that a recent blower switch replacement was to blame. He wound up repairing the car, new glass, dash and paint. Changed the color to black from dark green. He loved that car. Man would it crank on the highway. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

Good Luck Bill, beautiful ride [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Bill,
Did you sell the 64 GP Dark blue with white 421 car ? I know you love these old Poncho's, but did not realize you have more garage spece.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:27 AM

Bill,

It looked great in downtown Mt. Clemens this past summer! Nice seeing you there! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Rita
Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

This car looks even beter in person; a real stand out!

Since it loooks like this one might stay in your fleet for a while, let me be the first to extend the invite for MCACN III, November 19-20, 2011.

We need some GP representation, and maybe you can talk to your friend up in Port Huron into joining us too.

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member
www.mcacn.com
Old 12-06-2010, 05:27 PM

This one appears regularly at events around here.....

expresso4spsj (08-30-2017)