Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Old 10-24-2003, 10:50 AM

Default Jim Kirby's 1968 Harrell Funny Car for Sale!

1968 Harrell Funny Car #3

Matched set Tom?

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 55500-File0041.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Jim Kirby's 1968 Harrell Funny Car for Sale!

Shh...I've finally gotten dad switched from funny car mode to Nova mode [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] !
Old 10-24-2003, 04:19 PM

Wow that was a quick turn.
Old 10-25-2003, 12:25 AM

His wife is making him sell it. I think she is crazy, but I guess he doesn't want to move out in the dog house just yet. Ohh well, its still a cool car and some other lucky person will be happy with it!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 05:25 PM

I just spoke with the owner, he ended the listing as someone contacted him wanting payment for the rights to use the Harrell name in the auction in association with the car. WTF? cant sell a used race car that was associated with someone without paying rights to the name? Someone move me to Moscow while I was sleeping? Any thoughts on this guys?
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 05:49 PM

God Bless America... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img]

I understand the spirit of the complaint, but heck...it's one car and history needs the description to remain attached to the car [presuming it's authentic].

JMO...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'm confused too. On the Harrell site, Dale Pulde stated that it was a car that Dick drove, and, then Kirby took it over, ran it with the Dick Harrell name on it, BUT, that it was never an original Dick Harrell car. Can anyone shed some light on this? I guess he means that even though it was raced by Harrell, and, had his name on it, that it was not OWNED by Harrell. Still a neat piece of Harrell history.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,872 Times in 1,031 Posts

You will notice Bill Porterfields 02 ZL1 no Longer says Dick Harrell on the side. I'm not sure if his 69 still has it or not..Kinda Sad....
Old 10-26-2003, 08:43 PM

Considering that bit of info Charlie, I would say someone is going to great lengths to protect the name or turn a profit. Seller says he is letting the funny car go to buy a maroon 68 Harrell 427 68 Nova, appparently from the same person he bought his Yenko Camaro from. Hmmmmm......
Motown [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2003, 05:04 AM

This is for Mike Guarise, lets get something straight the car was never owned or driven by the late Dick Harrell, I was there when Jim Kirby told us the story about the car. Jim had the car built for him by Don Hardy back in 1968 and this is around the same time Dick had his car built. When Jim first raced the car it was painted gold, it wasn't repainted to the Harrell colors until Harrell and Kirby joined up together later on in 1968. At that time the car was painted with Dick Harrell on the rear quarter and Kirby's name on the front fender along with Boemler on the door. In 1969 Harrell took his car back to Hardy where the 1968 body was exchanged for the 1969 body, but it still had the 1968 frame. Jim had nothing but good things to say about Harrell. The reason him and Harrell broke up the team is when Harrell put a HEMI in his car and Jim refused to switch to a non-Chevy engine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worship.gif[/img] I can respect that!!! As for the car, it is the real thing and it has never been altered, wrecked, burned, etc. Jim had to take off the Harrell name when they split up, and in the right light you can see Dick's name still in the gold leaf, as for the Boemler logo, that was removed and Super Rat was painted on top of that and belive it or not you can see the logo outline on the side of the car. You can believe
anything you want about this team but picture don't tell lies. Jim had a whole S--T load of pictures his car with Dicks car and the two of them were right next to each other. I think that you need to come down to St. Louis to see the car for yourself and bring anybody else that wants to come. It might be your only chance to experience something that was so close and was part of the Harrell experience. Enough of that, Charley Bill's car doesn't have Harrells name on it anymore, it has Bill Porterfield on the rear quarter now. Maybe he didn't want to pay for the rights either. I think that sucks, here are two pieces of racing history that can't even show there true colors because of money, where the hell is it going to stop????? I wonder if Bill has to pay rent on the #1 ZL-1 because Harrell used to race it, or all the spectators at every track that Harrell ever raced at has to pay a royalty fee,
or my freind might have to pay cause you can still see Harrells name on the car, or the whole State of Missouri because Harrell used to live here. I understand the pain of a lost love one, but to actually try to make money off of something that the person was part of is crazy. I know the owner of the funny car isn't saying anything that isn't true to sell this car, its just a great piece of racing history that is still with us and not destroyed by time or anyother un-natural disasters. This is America lets try to act like Americans. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flag.gif[/img] Last for MotownMadman, Kevin does have a 1969 Yenko Camaro, and is thinking of buying the Nova, he just has to sell this car cause his wife doesn't want him to have it and that is the truth. She doesn't care about all the other cars that he has or wants, its just that this is a race car and she doesn't want this to get in the way of thier business restoring cars instead of racing nostalgia cars. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beers.gif[/img]