Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 01-17-2018, 02:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Raceway Park

How about Englishtown closing its gates? Loved that place especially their Sunday afternoon Pro Stock wars of the early 70's.
RIP
Attachments - The Supercar Registry FFD216EC-3FD1-44F1-A4A2-0D70A22B748B.jpeg 7C241BD0-F840-4239-B44E-9EA80AF593F5.jpeg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM

I haven't heard that Sam. That's my home track. They have profitable events all year long. I don't understand?

Verne
Old 01-17-2018, 02:59 PM

The Napp Family
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 17, 2018
RACEWAY PARK ANNOUNCES RESTRUCTURING OF BUSINESS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, the Napp family owned and operated business announced today a reorganization of the company’s business operations. To achieve this goal, Raceway Park will no longer conduct quarter mile or eighth mile drag racing events effective immediately. Raceway Park will retain and use the “stadium” portion of the facility including the VIP hospitality tower and grandstands and continue most of its operations including the spring and fall auto swap meets, numerous car shows, both motocross racing and practice, kart racing, as well as drifting, a full schedule of road course activities, mud runs, monster truck shows, musical concerts, & festival events and more. The long standing Old Bridge Township Airport, owned and operated by Raceway Park will also continue to operate as normal.
The new reorganization reflects the company’s plan moving forward beginning in 2018 while allowing Raceway Park to still continue to operate as it has in the past with the exception of drag racing.
The Napp family wishes to express their most sincere gratitude to the NHRA, and the many thousands of racers and fans, without whom would have never allowed Raceway Park to become the iconic and nationally recognized drag racing facility it has over the past five decades. The Napp family would also like to extend a heartfelt thank you to the employees that have served our drag racing customers so well over the previous years. It is with a great sadness that the Napp family is discontinuing drag racing, however the family looks forward to continuing to provide the best outdoor events in this new era of Raceway Park.
About Raceway Park
Raceway Park has been a family owned and operated business since its opening on July 4th 1965. For the past fifty two years the Napp family has focused on presenting the very best in fast family fun that includes NHRA sanctioned drag racing events, AMA sanctioned motocross racing, motocross practice, auto swap meets, auto shows, top rated drifting events, competition karting events, alternative motorsport and lifestyle events, athletic endurance events, history making concerts and music festivals and much more.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:13 PM

What really turns my stomach is every other crappy event is going to keep happening but they're killing the drag racing..... That is the only reason I have ever gone .. besides the junk mart / swap meet. This is a sad day ... I'm 42 and have gone since i was 4
Old 01-17-2018, 03:19 PM

I've gone there since I was 15, the year they opened! I even helped sponsor an event there many years ago for the NDRA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Verne_Frantz For This Useful Post:
Craig_Maiorana (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 03:59 PM

Thanks RobR. for the info. I am sure you got your feet wet at that Strip in the beginning like many did. The Truppi-Kling, Hoffman Machine, Tony Feil, Ray Allen, Patty Marchitto, Dennis Ferrara yada,yada,yada days!

I won a trophy there in 1974 with my nova.
What a crying shame!
Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Yes I sure did Sam, started going there in the mid-70s. A lot of fun times. I can remember back when it was crowded on a regular basis not just the special events and Nationals
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2018, 04:39 PM

This is upsetting ... This was one of the only reasons I even came back to NJ anymore (besides my family ... but who wants to deal with them.. lol)
Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Great memories Rob. You were really dialed in back then!
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanked 1,293 Times in 501 Posts

I was told that our local track National Trails was working hard on getting a national event back since they were just purchased about a year ago from the same folks that own heartland in Topeka Kansas ...My guess is they would’ve never bought our track if they weren’t working a deal with NHRA to bring a national event there so I am only speculating but I’m guessing they had to drop an event to bring back an event at another track