Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-15-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Out driving. Shut off car. Dead. What is this?

HOw many of you have this problem with 4 speed cars? Over the years I've had 4 big block Chevelles, 3 with 4 speeds and one automatic. Only the automatic car had this problem. Although there can be many reasons for the trouble, the 16 gauge wires feeding the neutral safety switch in the console may just be the problem most of the time. 12 gauge wire could be the cure for most people.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:24 AM

Sounds like a new starter and solenoid will do the trick.
Also check your pos and neg batt cables and connections
Old 08-16-2003, 07:40 AM

That's an interesting point Keith. Did these cars have headers by chance? I've had more than a few chev's with similar problems (somewhat amplified w/ header heat...and some with sheilds).
thanks,
-Mark

Old 08-16-2003, 03:20 PM

The automatic car was the only one without headers. With the headers, the solenoid baked after about 3-4 years. Our present car has about 21K miles on it with no problems. Last year the starter needed brushes but we installed a mini starter instead. That rolls the engine over as if there were no spark plugs in it.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:41 PM

Have also had that probl and the starter kontaktpoints at the electrical linnings, they was too short after starting engines for 25 years..

Brushes is the "short" name... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] not easy to remember for mee. Thanks Keith...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:11 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

Ok guys. I've got the answer for this as I lived with this exact problem with a 74 Nova SS for about 3 years.. On hot days after some driving time, when I would shut the car off after it set for a few minutes would not even crank.. I found it NOT to be the starter selonid. I also had both a 4 speed and an automatic in this same car and it happened with both, so that excludes the automatic theory.. My trick to fire up the car in this situation was I kept an old screw driver under the seat and when it would do this I'd have to get out and reach down through the header with the screw driver and connect the terminals directly, and it would crank every single time. Saved myself from being stranded many times with this trick. I have a few theorys, but never figured it out completely.. The problem is definitly worse if you have headers on it. One theory that I think could be close is that heat builds up resistance.. The hotter the wire gets the more resistance it will have. I believe the wire that connects to the selonoid (which also runs right beside the header for some length)when it gets too hot it won't let the current flow the whole way to the starter. Because if it was the selonoid or starter being too hot, the screw driver trick wouldn't work either. Give that a try next time it happens. When I moved on to a 70 Camaro, when I put that engine in I shrouded the crap out of the starter wires and I never had the "too hot" problem with that car. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/scholar.gif[/img]