Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Question about Slicks....

Does anyone know if there would be a problem using a new Hurst Slick Tire on the rear and a new repro. Wide Oval Bias Ply Tire on the front??? It looks like from the Hurst Slick Tire Website in Oregon they say that the slicks are re-capped on a radial tire.. I noticed they had nylon ones as well. I was wondering if this would make a problem with driveability.. I know it's a "NO NO" to mix bias and radial tires together...

I tried to call the company to ask them but couldn't get through...

Thanks... Rich
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Question about Slicks....

Don't mix Radials and Bias tires. I've been around a lot of these "pie-crust" vintage-style slicks and the best ones to buy are the Radir slicks that are entirely brand new tires and casings and are available only through Radir Wheels and their dealers.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 AM

If my memory serves me right, Pennslyvania saftey inspection allows bias and radial tires to be mixed BUT the same type must match on the same axle. For example you could run bias up front and radials on the back axle.

I've certainly done it. I think it would be less noticable in an old car than on some modern ones.

What are you afraid of? As long as you don't expect the car to do much else than go stright and fast, I think you'll be fine.

There certainly is something to be said for Mark's comments. I've never really liked retreads more on principal than the technology. I'm not familiar with Radir's product line. Do they have something historically correct for the late 60's?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 AM

I'm looking for 1/4 mile track driveability and just "putzin" around town to local car cruise nights, no highway driving or high speed other than the 1/4 mile track straights.. Thanks...

Rich
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 AM

http://www.radirwheels.com/contents.htm These Radir slicks are great and naturally you'll wanna avoid the rain but with their 4-ply sidewall, they actually drive quite nice compared to a wrinkle-wall slick. Now, I ran the 10.00 x 15's that are close to 30 inches tall and it really took me a long time to get the air pressure situation right. I started like I normally would with about 10-11 LBS. but I never started getting a nice even footprint across until a little over 30 LBS. Yeah, I know.......that's a lot of air pressure for a slick, but that's when they started finally leaving a decent footprint and actually ripped off my housing perches due to their effectiveness.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:57 AM

Looked at the link, but the frames configuration may have messed it up a little. Do they offer a slick without the white-walls?
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 AM

Doesn't look like they do. They even note you can turn in the whitewall if you don't want it showing..

Rich
Old 01-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Rich, I'm not sure about the Hurst slick,but lots of drag racers run radial slicks with bias front tires.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 AM

About the Radir slicks, I couldn't wait to mount them on my original American Racing Magnesium 5-spokes onto my '55 ex-C/Gasser with the whitewalls out. I really thought that it would look great! Well, I hated it too immediately and didn't even drive the car before removing them and reversing them with BLACKWALLS OUT. Then.......it looked right! I don't know if somebody makes a marker or paint maybe where you can totally remove the white if even having it on the inside still bother you at all.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:23 AM

I liked the Hurst cheaters on Colin's GTO. Had to put a set on the 69 Nova SS. Earl
Attached Images