Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 02:04 AM

Default COPO VALUES IN GENERAL

Since joining this site I have been watching what are both asking prices, sales prices, and suggested prices of these cars. I am assuming that as in the Mopar world a few years ago that the pony cars are typically bringing more money than the intermediates?

Are these current prices up, down, or stable from the past three years? I don't recall them being this high from watchin the Scottsale auctions then, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

I don't know if Chevrolet has published or if there is a list of dealer sold COPOs for numbers, but if so, what are the production number differences for comparision of lets say a 1969 COPO hardtop Camaro 427/425 steel block hardtop car vs. a hardtop 1970 Hemi Challenger @287 units or a hardtop 1970 Hemi Cuda @652 units?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-09-2010, 02:20 AM

Default Re: COPO VALUES IN GENERAL

As with almost all other muscle, collector and exotic cars the prices are now lower than they were demanding in 2006-2007. As such, they are still highly elevated over the early 2000's even at this point.

As for your question about the COPO's - dont get me wrong and dont think I am trying to insult you but do you ever read anything on this site? I think if you took 5 minutes to read about COPO cars that you would realize that there is virtually no paperwork available on them other than the GM Canada and ZL1 records. Everything that is known about them is coming from whatever papers or memory that people have of that period. The only thing that is known is the approximate number of MN & MO 427 blocks that were cast and the estimate derived from that of about 1000 COPO cars.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

I'll let the COPO experts discuss current market, but will comment on comparing the '69 COPO Camaro to a 70 Hemi Challenger or Cuda. BTW, I own both Mopar and Bowties. Really different animals mostly because of the RPO (Mopars) vs the COPO (Camaros). It has always surprised me regarding the former huge price differential (x18mo. ago) betweeen the regular prod order Hemi E bodies (anyone could order one) vs. a select few in the know who knew about the COPO ordering process. I believe there were about 1,000 or so COPO '69 Camaros. Currently it appears, to my casual observation , that a no stories, documented COPO Camaro is as strong or stronger than a comparable '70 Hemi E body.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:58 AM

Yes, I have read A LOT in the short time I have been a member here. However I have never seen anything that conclusively said there were no documented list of how many were built. This IS however a lot of reference to the fact that there is no conclusive way to determine if many of these cars ar REAL. Maybe YOU are confusing these two different things?

Is this "guestimated" 1000 cars for 1969 COPO Camaros ONLY or all COPO 427 cars of all years and all bodies?

I too am surprised at the price difference between the Camaros and the E bodies. I can't really see any difference weather they were available through the regualr dealer order process or the G.M. COPO process. The bottom line is the number built or these HP cars that really determines there values today.

I have another comparision I will bring up later but don't want to confuse things were discussing here.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

The guess on the potential COPO build comes from the documented 427 engine production totals from the period.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 PM

So, anyone care to give a valuation of a #1 condition 1969 COPO hardtop Camaro with a steel 427/425 car based on recent verified sales price at auction or by reporting dealer?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:49 PM

I've have a few in stock. Make an offer and we might be able to determine what the current market value is today.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've have a few in stock. Make an offer and we might be able to determine what the current market value is today.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now THAT is a salemans answer!!
Old 01-10-2010, 01:19 AM

I see a few available now in the mid $100's - this was unheard of just a few years ago.

When you value these cars alot goes into what value can be attached to it. Most of the value is derived by the presence of original born with drivetrain and then grows from there. Documentation is the key to $$ with any COPO - the more you can document and verify the more you will get for the car. Also, the history of the car will also be a determining factor in setting the value of the car. One last factor is the options the car came with and the delivering dealer. Once you factor all of these together you can get a proposed value of the car but the true value can only be determined when the buyer arrives with the cash and the sale happens.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 AM

HI THE MAGIC NUMBER IS ????? 150,-175,