Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Re: Updated pics of my project

Ken:

As ALWAYS, input from a pro is greatly appreciated. Actually, I painted very similar to what you describe. I did two very thin coats from about 18 inches with the rattle can. I will post some more pics next time I get it in the air.
So far, everyone looking at the springs asks if they are new. They don't appear to be painted. Probably good enough for a car that is getting driven. Even got my first rock chip in the body. Lost no sleep over it. Lacquer touches up pretty easily.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am a little surprised the car came out so nice considering the crappy lighting I had painting it in the garage. I was fully expecting to find some flaws in the body. The only two panels that aren't perfectly straight are the cowl vent and the header; which, other than the GM hood, are the only two non-original panels on the car!!!! GM in the box parts that I incorrectly assumed were straight. Fortunately, the imperfections on both are within the white stripes, so not very noticeable. I have a very good friend who owns and operates a body shop. We had to drop off Sherri's MRoadster for some work and he and his main metal guy were looking at the Z. I was pointing out the few flaws, and he put his hand up and said: "Still, this thing is ridiculously straight. It may be the straightest black car I have ever laid eyes on." Made me feel pretty good coming from a pro.

Still need to paint the trunk, paint and install the front bumper, install the rear bumper guards and install the rocker trim. Been having fun driving it from time to time. Only big issue has been the posi unit, which is now resolved. See here:
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...882#Post534882

Also, been distracted the last 3 weeks. Sherri got bit by a fiddleback. That's another story.