Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 11-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts
Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Thanks for the suggestion on the jack paint. Great information! I'll be getting into that next week. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

In continuing on the continuation of wetsanding, [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] I'm done and the car is buffed out. Good news? No compound residue anywhere. Bad news? While painting, I bumped into the workbench which, not realizing it, awakened the Giant Mothra who then landed on my fender.

Swooping down like a terradactyl on an unsuspecting cave dude. I was able to get most of it out, but I'm not happy. I'm debating what to do and the first thing will be a magnifying glass, dental pick, and the cat like steadiness that I inherited from my Hungarian heritage. What that has to do with anything, I don't really know. But I make a darn good Chicken Paprikash! So, I'll try and get it out that way then dab on some clear. My second option is to divert attention to it at all costs. If I see someone looking in that direction I'll scream out something to distract them and redirect their gaze. I can see it now...&quot;Wow Dave. Nice paint! Engine bay looks great. Let me walk around here and...&quot; &quot;Booobs!&quot; [Me yelling and pointing off into the distance at nothing]. And after they are distracted, bring them back down to reality and say, &quot;Hey, let me show you the door handle! It's chrome and shiney! OoooOOOoo shiney shiney!!&quot; But seriously, If it comes down to it, I'll just reshoot the whole car. Should be pretty simple at this point! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

Here's the door and fender polished up!

If you remember back a few pages, I found this parts tag in the driver's quarter window.

I made a replica of it and hung it back in the same area I found it so some other moron 47yrs later will find it when they restore the car again.

I also made copies of the Broadcast sheet and hung it in the window like they did back in the day. I think further down the line the sheet was hung on the front of the car by the grille. I trying to add some realism to the car during this process, so I'm also thinking of putting on a set of coveralls, add a few tattoos, then right as the car is about to meet up with the engine at a critical moment, yell out, &quot;breeeak time!&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Stay tuned for upcoming episodes of &quot;This old Bee&quot; where you'll hear such famous quotes as, &quot;Why do I have so many bolts left over? &quot; and &quot;Huh. Three sets of door weatherstripping. Huh....it's for a Camaro?&quot; And of course, &quot;I just had that dang 1/2&quot; wrench in my hand two friggin' minutes ago! Where is it!?!?! These freakin' cars, stupid hobby, lousy country club and their stupid rules! Oh, express checkout, huh? Why is my lane slower than the others? BAH!!!&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cry.gif[/img]

I'm thinking of writing a book after this. &quot;Restoring the American Dream: What NOT to do when building your dream car&quot;. Forward by the whole Yenko.net Forum and a forwarded forward by Bob Ashton [although he doesn't know it yet] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Looks awesome!! Can I ask what brand compound/polish you used? Thanks TAZ
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Thanked 1,365 Times in 662 Posts

Paint looks killer.
John 10:30
Old 11-11-2016, 12:25 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

TAZ, I'm using the 3M Perfect-It system. It's a 4 pad, 3 compound kit. Works really well. I had tried Meguiar's system as well starting with their heavy cut compound, and that worked well too. But hands down the 3M is the best.

Thanks for the compliments! No, it's not perfect and will no way hold a candle next to a Mikey special, but I'm pretty proud of it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 11-11-2016, 03:38 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,069 Times in 903 Posts

Stay tuned for upcoming episodes of &quot;This old Bee&quot; where you'll hear such famous quotes as, &quot;Why do I have so many bolts left over? &quot; and &quot;Huh. Three sets of door weatherstripping. Huh....it's for a Camaro?&quot; And of course, &quot;I just had that dang 1/2&quot; wrench in my hand two friggin' minutes ago! Where is it!?!?! These freakin' cars, stupid hobby, lousy country club and their stupid rules! Oh, express checkout, huh? Why is my lane slower than the others? BAH!!!&quot; mad cry

I'm thinking of writing a book after this. &quot;Restoring the American Dream: What NOT to do when building your dream car&quot;. Forward by the whole Yenko.net Forum and a forwarded forward by Bob Ashton [although he doesn't know it yet] bigthumbup

Hilarious! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/haha.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A12pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TAZ, I'm using the 3M Perfect-It system. It's a 4 pad, 3 compound kit. Works really well. I had tried Meguiar's system as well starting with their heavy cut compound, and that worked well too. But hands down the 3M is the best.

Thanks for the compliments! No, it's not perfect and will no way hold a candle next to a Mikey special, but I'm pretty proud of it! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dave</div></div>

Thanks Dave -- I'll see if I can chase down those 3M products here in SA ... TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

A few more of the polishing. We all like looking at pictures! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/drool.gif[/img] I mean, that's how I got through college!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

I was blasting the forward k-member bracket and found another factory marking. This &quot;2&quot; is also on the survivor A12 Bee I'm using a reference for my restoration as well. I penned in where the marking is below. It was easier to see in person and with is wiped with solvent.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Old 11-12-2016, 12:08 PM

MCACN 2017

You must be working 24-7?

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 11-12-2016, 01:17 PM

Thanked 3,758 Times in 1,593 Posts

----Craig,,,Any automotive paint store worth its salt will carry all the 3M products......Bill S