Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-22-2012, 02:56 AM

Default ZL1 @ $410,000.00

It looked like the car below but I never heard "rebody" or EXTENSIVE creative sheet metal replacement during/before bidding. I did see the (very) small print under one of the photos on the poster board. This is great news for clone and rebody owners.

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ZL1 @ $410,000.00

There you go Chris with that big wooden spoon to stir the pot.

I just have a hard time with spending that kind of money on a car with a VIN swap with that whole Federal law breaking. To be honest if there was some sort of way to get the Feds involved with the process and get it doccumente as legal I might be okay with it. I don't know where I would draw the line on sheetmetal repair then.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:41 AM

I'd be willing to bet, everyone who bid on the car knew how the car was restored, and didn't care. They didn't throw cash like that around without reading all the "small print"
Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

Scroll down to watch it go across the block,and see the winning bidder on camera at the end.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/21/b...et-camaro-zl1/
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 AM

I dont think were suppposed to talk about this car or your posts will be deleted, right Steve????
Brian
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...d=443&pop=0
Old 01-22-2012, 04:26 AM

I'm waiting for the new proud owner and his first post on this web site, " Hi all. Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I own ZL1 #9"
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 AM

I heard the auctioneers describe the car as being restored using NOS parts and a complete GM body shell on the Speed Channel broadcast. it was hard to hear any other details as the Speed crew were talking about ZL-1s and you had to listen around them. Sounds like George was true to his word about making sure the car was accurately described. Kudos to him.

To me the price achieved is far below what the car would have received if it wasn't a rebody and reflects good information about this particular car being available in the marketplace.

ZL1 #49 (Dale, Waukesha WI) Super Stock restoration by SCW; 9561AA (Walters, Hebron OH) Super Stock motor by the Grump
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 AM

Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,967 Posts

Hopefully the buyer's the same guy who just scored the '70 Coronet 6-Pack/'71 Hemi GTX deal and all works out in the wash?.
Regardless of $ reached or actual value, I'm disappointed w/ the way things went specifically the presentation/phrases used in the supposed rebody disclosure..
Although the recent threads here went awry I was still holding on to the strong words about how this car's issue would be dealt with but now feel somehow duped after what seems the complete opposite has actually taken place?.
Who is the author of this below description that accompanies the above footage of this car rolling through the BJ auction anyway?.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img]
~ Pete

PS - For about the same dough here today a fella could have put Kim's Gibb/Harrell Camaro AND Red Alert in the garage!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

&quot;...
Summary: Outstanding total restoration of one of the rare factory ZL1 '69 Camaros. Very well documented including owner history from new and a very positive Cuneen Report. Recent service and detail to be as new and surely one of the best in existence.

Details: An outstanding example of one of the original COPO ZL1 aluminum block 427 Camaros, this particular car is #9 of the total production run of 69 cars produced. This car is very well documented from its original delivery to Fred Gibb Chevrolet of LaHarpe, Illinois, the dealer that spearheaded the original concept of an all-aluminum motor ZL1 Camaro.Included with this car is an amazing collection of historical documentation including the Dealers Shippers copy of the original window sticker, the customer copy of the original bill of sale, a copy of the Chevrolet MSO and much more. Having been through a very expensive, cost-no-object restoration, this particular ZL1 Camaro is &quot;one of the finest in existence&quot;, exactly as it states in the accompanying Cuneen report by Ed Cuneen of COPO Connection. Only the highest quality components were used in this restoration with a strong emphasis on New Old Stock pieces instead of more readily available reproduction items. A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history. Look beyond the show-quality paint, beautifully-fitted body and flawless-trim to see one of the most top notch Camaro restorations in the world. The workmanship employed to complete this car is the best you will find and the direction to recapture assembly line correct details is evident throughout the entire car, in particular with engine compartment and chassis assemblies. The Cuneen Report that is included with this car features extensive photography and a certification of numbered and coded components. While this car has been driven only a few miles since completion, it has been mechanically sorted and performs flawlessly with no issues needing attention. Offered here today by collector George Lyons of Erie, Pennsylvania, this 1969 ZL1 Camaro is stunning, highly documented, correctly restored example from this historic run of just 69 cars...&quot;
Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 AM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard the auctioneers describe the car as being restored using NOS parts and a complete GM body shell on the Speed Channel broadcast. it was hard to hear any other details as the Speed crew were talking about ZL-1s and you had to listen around them. Sounds like George was true to his word about making sure the car was accurately described. Kudos to him.

To me the price achieved is far below what the car would have received if it wasn't a rebody and reflects good information about this particular car being available in the marketplace.

</div></div>

Amen Jeff!