Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-21-2022, 04:38 AM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts
Arrow What is a branded car title?

What is a branded car title?

Quote:
Every new and used vehicle sold in the United States has a car title, which is an important document that proves legal ownership of a vehicle. Along with showing proof of ownership, a car title also lets you know if a vehicle is damaged or defective. There are two categories of titles: clean and branded. A clean title means that a vehicle has a clean record, while a branded title means that a vehicle has incurred serious damage and has been deemed a total loss from an insurance company.

Because titles follow the car, once a title is branded it’s final – there’s no way to legally make a branded title revert to a standard or clean title.

What is a branded title, and should you buy a branded title vehicle? There are multiple categories of branded titles, but the following list represents the five most common types of branded titles:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/buyi...?ocid=msedgntp
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (01-21-2022), L16pilot (01-21-2022)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-21-2022, 12:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,843 Times in 749 Posts

A branded title could also be for a replica built in modern times.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:31 PM

Thanked 136,487 Times in 22,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
A branded title could also be for a replica built in modern times.
Are you referring to a "kit car?" That would not get a branded title:

How To Title A Homemade Vehicle Or Kit Car

https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/heres...cle-or-kit-car
Old 01-21-2022, 02:36 PM

FYI,I ended up with a branded title on my 2006 Silverado.The truck was stolen and and recovered 2 days later.The wheels and tires and Apple car play radio were removed.The estimate to put it back as it was turned out to be more than 50% of the value so the insurance company "totaled"it.They paid off my truck($3000)gave me a check for $8000 and gave me the truck back?What is wrong with this picture?Cost me $4000 to put it back as it was when stolen.Not a scratch on the truck.Now I have a salvaged title on the truck.Tom
Old 01-21-2022, 03:12 PM

Thanked 2,948 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs44 View Post
FYI,I ended up with a branded title on my 2006 Silverado.The truck was stolen and and recovered 2 days later.The wheels and tires and Apple car play radio were removed.The estimate to put it back as it was turned out to be more than 50% of the value so the insurance company "totaled"it.They paid off my truck($3000)gave me a check for $8000 and gave me the truck back?What is wrong with this picture?Cost me $4000 to put it back as it was when stolen.Not a scratch on the truck.Now I have a salvaged title on the truck.Tom

Once an insurance co has paid out a total loss amount, the vehicle is branded as totaled/salvage. I agree, there could be different levels of salvage, such as stolen and recovered, not damaged.
The HHR I bought several years ago was totaled and I had it rebuilt at work. I did need to send photos of it to my insurance co and copies of all the parts/repair done to it. I included the cut sheet and parts/labor on a shop invoice and I never had an issue getting it insured and for the same amount as if never damaged, but they do certified level of repair on late model cars that insurance Co's send to them. The increase in that traffic has tripled with the current lack of cars to replace damaged ones and insurance Co's are repairing cars they would have written off as totaled just 12-16 months ago.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 01-21-2022, 03:57 PM

Thanked 1,843 Times in 749 Posts

A continuation car may have what is referred to as a branded title meaning it will need to meet certain new car requirements in some states. This can be overruled but often times it requires an inspection by law enforcement.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:24 PM

I had to get a light and brake inspection,another smog certificate,have the vin verified by the DMV and put new plates on it.Was a huge PITA getting all that DMV stuff done to get a reconstructed salvage title but im the second owner and just turned 100K original miles.To me it looks like im into it for free now.Tom
Old 01-21-2022, 11:15 PM

I looked at purchasing a brand new car that had motor issues immediately after purchase. The owner was able to get lemon law and manufacture bought it back. The car was for sale by a dealer w branded title, I walked even tho it was heavily discounted.
Old 01-22-2022, 03:41 AM

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,169 Posts

The way the Oklahoma law is written the vehicle us only REQUIRED to be branded if the damage results in the car being less safe.

Stolen wheels and tires, hail damage and the like should NOT result in a branded titled.

Of course, there is a big BUT coming..... The insurance companies do not follow the law. If the damage exceeds 40% of the cars title they insist on a "salvage" title. It is a crock, but until someone has a situation that warrants suing the insurance company, it will never change.

I suspect it will take someone's classic car getting branded to warrant a lawsuit.

Oklahoma also has different branded titles. It can be salvaged or "rebuilt". A client gave me a Buick LeSabre about 10 years ago. Had be hit right front. Did not even change the alignment. I put a fender and hood on it from another car (same color, so didn't even do paint work). Checked the statute which required an "inspection" of the car before the State would transfer the title to me. I assumed they would set me up with a shop specializing in such inspections. Nope. I go to the local tag office, and for an extra $2, an 18 year old girl follows me to the parking lot, looks at the car, and says: "wow, you really did a great job. can't even tell it has been wrecked." We go back in and finish the paperwork. I get the title and it is branded "rebuilt" which most folks assume as a horrible total. To be fair, considering the depth of the inspection, I guess it could have had all kinds of hidden damage underneath.

That's what happens when you pass laws and leave it to bureaucrats to interpret and enforce them.
Billohio (01-22-2022), dustinm (01-22-2022), John Brown (01-22-2022), Lee Stewart (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 PM

I had an out of state car inpected at the BMV and like Lynn, young woman goes out and says where the vin. Looks at the tag and said ok I see it. Never checked the numbers or anything. I imagine as easy as that was, it could go horribly the other way too!