Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-06-2023, 08:13 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

My first paying job in 1977-78, was working "under the table" for cash at the 'Hoxie' Mobil gas station at Harbor and Ball by Disneyland...or their other gas station at Harbor and Vermont Ave in Anaheim ( a few blocks away).

The Hoxie's were very racist, which lead to some interesting times...if I was working at the same time as the Hoxie's. Luckily, that wasn't often.

I took full advantage of the lifts at the station to clean the underside of my Nova...and like Tuna Joe above...once done with work I would cruise either the Orange Mall on Lincoln in Orange, Angelo's on State College-or occasionally Whittier Blvd.

I worked there for about 3 months then quit
The Following User Says Thank You to Xplantdad For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:38 PM

I don't have any photos to post, but during the summer months when home from college I worked at my local Gulf service station. This would have been 1970-73. I usually worked the late afternoon to evening shift and was responsible for closing the station at night. This was back when there were true service stations, not like today where they just sell gas and have a full convenience store.
We sold propane, white gas, kerosine, ice, worms for fishing, inner tubes for use in swimming, and probably things I can't remember in addition to the 3 grades of Gulf gas. Boy I loved the smell of the gas back then. There was one pop machine, bright red and all metal and heavy. We gave away Blue Chip stamps with gas purchases.
There was one lift and we did minor servicing and repair, both car and tire inner tube. I don't remember doing any tire repair only inner tubes. It was always nice when a good looking young lady came in; washing the windshield always took a bit longer then. I did enjoy those days working at Smokey's Gulf Station.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danachevroletfor1967 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (12-08-2023), PeteLeathersac (12-07-2023)