Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 09-12-2011, 10:47 PM

Thanked 5,346 Times in 1,875 Posts
Default Re: Hillbilly Racing Team: week in review

So very cool Rob! Keep us updated please [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 AM

Was a very fun day. The Deuce ran well with several 6.84s, on a 6.82 dial, but even though the atmosphere is laid back, they get serious come race time, thus I was out early.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:38 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chevy454</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Note the pipe on the lower right hand side of the tower in the photo above...that's not a gutter, that's where the announcer/timer drops down the time slips...

And the bucket...both slips (white winner and yellow loser) are on the same clothes pin, so dig through the bucket, find your pairing, then take the appropriate slip...every so often Speedy's daughter comes by and collects some clothes pins and run's 'em back up into the tower...

</div></div>

Now who the heck needs all the Hi-Tech stuff when something this simple does the trick!!! Good ol' Midwest Ingenuity at it's finest.

That's MY KINDA TRACK!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img]

Sounds like a Great Family outing guys. Glad to hear you all had fun.

(Long weekend, eh Tom? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/worship.gif[/img])
Old 09-13-2011, 01:36 PM

Dennis, yeah..a long weekend, but well worth it, both the Whitehall Reunion and going to Newport.

It takes a little while to get used to how they run things at Newport, but once you get used to their system, no big deal.

Another interesting thing they do at Newport...Anyone who has ever been on a racer's board, or around racers much, know how racers can be when it comes to payouts/$$$, sort of like feeding time at the zoo. Well, at Newport, they only pay the winner in each class, but more times then not, before the finals, the two racers will get together, shake hands and agree to split the pot 50/50. Makes for some fun final runs, as usually everyone lets it all hangout, not worrying about breaking out, or redlights, just one final race for bragging rights.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM

WOW. Sounds like a lot of small tracks could take some lessons from Newport. Hope it never changes!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Need more pics, more car details, and more stories about the runs, the lights, the dials, etc....
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:54 PM

I can't tell ya much about the cars themselves, as I'm basically just the &quot;muscle&quot; of the operation...lifting, pushing, dragging is my department, lol! Being as dad was intimate with all things Briggs carting for several years, he's the Austin Coil of the outfit, so he'll have to fill in those details.

As for dial, Taylor was the only Jr. there so she was just making passes...good thing about Newport is that within reason they're up for anything. Early lights were really lazy, being her first time @ the tree I had her leaving on green, then the last pass I had her try and work on the ambers and she had a .7xx light. Everyone keeps asking what kind of MPH the thing runs, and I'm curious myself, but Newport doesn't have MPH timers for some reason? The thing seems really consistent, though, and was actually quicker than a few of the rides in the &quot;street car&quot; class...and it's 60' time is nearly identical to the Yellow Sub's... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Taylor's car is a Spitzer (narrow rear), engine 2/3 Blockzilla (.208 bore, .450 stroke), ARC FW, all billet head, sidecover, clutch/crank supports, etc. Clutch is a McGhee OD, (same as Shockwave), 33 carb. Mid 9's as it sets (tall rear tires-less RPM or high 8s with shorter tires or more gear (more RPM).

Devin's car older chassis ?, wide rear, Raptor engine, Clemens head, side cover, FW, etc, 33 carb, McGhee OD clutch. Should run low 11s.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:50 PM

Sounds like a pretty good setup, especially the Blockzilla - small bore with a long stroke though, hmmm.....

I didn't know McGhee made clutches. If it is the same as the Shockwave (made by Jr Racecars in CO) then it should be a pretty good unit. The 33mm carb is the standard for the 8.90 class, won't need the 42mm till you go 7.90's.

The older car with the Raptor, Clements head, cylinder head, flywheel, etc... sounds like a good 12.90 combo. We are just wrapping up the 12.90 class with an engine that can run low 11's, but we slowed it down to 12.90's by doing a variety of things. Let me know if you need help slowing it down - if your driver is under 10, and quicker than 12.50, you are bounced for the day. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/eek.gif[/img]

Post some pics of the cars, maybe we can decipher the older car. Sounds like it could be a Monaco. Where is Dominic? He is the site expert on all things Jr! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Good stuff guys! It's all about finding the hobby that you enjoy participating in or watching in your free time. I've actually been so busy with work that the little time I've had off this summer, I backed off the car shows and drag racing to run to the beach to watch the garveys/skiffs/ski boats race along the Jersey shore. It's amazing what 4-5 boats with small block chevy's and open headers sound like when they all take the green flag at the same time! These pictures were from this past Sunday and this weekend is the end of their season for the boat races. These racers are a mix of men/women from 18 through 70 years old and they do it all summer long! The past 2 weekends saw a couple of the garveys hook a wake and the driver and co-pilot were tossed out at 50+ mph! Everyone was fine and kept on racing. Now you know why they call them pineys along the shore! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] Some of the modified boats are making 500-600 hp in a very light boat!