Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 12-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: period correct tunnel rams

Thanks - you are correct, my research just showed that it came out in 2/70. So, I think I might have found the best combo for both period correct and streetability!

Thinking 450cfm Holleys?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 AM

The TR2 can be a challenge, but they can be made to run and run well if you are willing to tackle the learning curve. I've actually spoken to the Grump about it and other TR details. Growing up with my Pop- "Plowman" I've had one of the best resources a guy could want for running dual quads. Now getting input from Grumpy and then those two together talking multiple carbeuration- a guy's head could start spinning.

You've got to restrict the liquid line on the idel circuit AND you have to run an CD ignition. I've always run MSD (though I'm gonna try to do it with and older Grant box on my sister's 69 Nova).

They did offer an intermediate plate for the TR2 to help remove some plenum volume and extend the intake runners. This was a to help make it be more street friendly. We've got two of these intakes, one has the plate.

You can also get creative and kock the plenum down. Here is an example of that.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Thanks. The 4150 TR in the top picture is on Ebay right now. I like the way it looks but I will stick with my Edelbrock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chandler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your engine looks great.
Does anyone know the time frame on the two pictured?

Don't worry about Stunkards picture of the Camaro. He won't mind.

</div></div>

1974 ish... </div></div>
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2011, 04:27 AM

What would have been typical mid to late 70's?
Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TR2 can be a challenge, but they can be made to run and run well if you are willing to tackle the learning curve. I've actually spoken to the Grump about it and other TR details.

</div></div>

Paul, there is a big difference between the street and strip with the TR2. They were designed for very high rpm usage.
Marlin needs something just to scoot around the street with that is streetable and no hassles.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 AM

Typical where, street or strip? Which build theme do you identify with more? Really there are two camps with this. There are the guys who choose to drive cars with race car parts on the street (and either address the compromises or learn to live wiht certain aspects) and there are those who want that strip look without the compromised street manner.

I think the Offy did a great job with their Tunnel Rams featuring a divided plenum and street friendly runner combo. They most likley were not selling any to racers for the strip, and plenty to those who wanted to simulate that feel.

Personally I would never run a TR with a mild cam. I think it would be a major departure from the theme of the cars I like t build.

As far as a carb choice, I like vacuum secondaries. I would start out with a Holley List 1850 which is a 600 cfm carb and very plentiful. I've never been able to tune a par of 390's or 450's to run nearly as good as those 600's after being modified. Heck you might even be able to run a pair of 750's.

Dave is right, an electric fuel pump is a must. I used to run both, but later ditched my mechanical.

Don't even attempt this without a set of 4 series gears out back.

Dave, I'll admit I really don't know what Marlin wants to do. Fact is, it is Benjamin's car so I wonder what he wants. A young kid might accept a little more street compromise- maybe not. Depends on type of man he is growing up to be. You bring some valid points and expereince to the thread- no doubt. It will be up to those guys to choose what they want to build.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:51 AM

I'm not trying to identify with a certain theme. I'm just interested in the history of the parts used in those days. I was worried about Saturday morning cartoons back in those days, so I wasn't paying attention..lol
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 AM

Here is mine for my car.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:08 AM

That looks like the Weiand TR as seen in Two Lane Blacktop. Probably the epitome of Tunnel Ram and what it means to me. Pair of 660's on it with a secondary metering block kit. Very Nice!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:17 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Typical where, street or strip? Which build theme do you identify with more? Really there are two camps with this. There are the guys who choose to drive cars with race car parts on the street (and either address the compromises or learn to live wiht certain aspects) and there are those who want that strip look without the compromised street manner.

I think the Offy did a great job with their Tunnel Rams featuring a divided plenum and street friendly runner combo. They most likley were not selling any to racers for the strip, and plenty to those who wanted to simulate that feel.

Personally I would never run a TR with a mild cam. I think it would be a major departure from the theme of the cars I like t build.

As far as a carb choice, I like vacuum secondaries. I would start out with a Holley List 1850 which is a 600 cfm carb and very plentiful. I've never been able to tune a par of 390's or 450's to run nearly as good as those 600's after being modified. Heck you might even be able to run a pair of 750's.

Dave is right, an electric fuel pump is a must. I used to run both, but later ditched my mechanical.

Don't even attempt this without a set of 4 series gears out back.

Dave, I'll admit I really don't know what Marlin wants to do. Fact is, it is Benjamin's car so I wonder what he wants. A young kid might accept a little more street compromise- maybe not. Depends on type of man he is growing up to be. You bring some valid points and expereince to the thread- no doubt. It will be up to those guys to choose what they want to build.

</div></div>

Ha! I don't know what I'm doing! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] But, I know what I want: A cool Day 2 type of look, but with street manners. I don't want a racecar on the street. Benjamin just turned 10, so he has no idea what I'm planning - but I see the look on his face when a car idles past with a dual quad TR sticking outta the hood. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] So, he's gonna like this car for sure when we finally finish it.

I'm planning to run this combo:

- 427 BBC
- 10.5:1 CR
- Steel Crank / rods
- Oval port heads
- 550/550 cam
- M20 trans
- 3.55 posi

Toppped with either a Torker 2-0 single holley, or that Offenhauser Turbo Port intake linked above.

I live close enough to pxtx and his Pop to get their help setting it all up! The goal is have fun with a cool street car.
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)