Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 10-13-2016, 06:36 PM

Thanked 1,377 Times in 670 Posts
Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Looking great, can't wait to see more progress.
John 10:30
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts

I had someone email me asking how much I've spent so far on the paint and body at the shop I'm using. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] I first replied slandering this &quot;Shop&quot; for wasting valuable time by taking photos of themselves and posting them online!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] But, since the shop is me and I don't get paid, I don't tend to keep track of my hours but for some weird reason I did on this one. So let's see...I'm at 175hrs of bodywork so far on the car plus an additional 40hrs of metal work. I probably have another 40hrs left, minimum, on the bodywork. As a highly skilled Five Star AAA (or is that AA??) rated bodyman, I charge $50/hr labor rate. Your shop's labor rate may be different. So that's....um....uhhhhh.....two...carry the one....denominator..... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] And all the materials is PPG, and they're pretty proud of their stuff, so that's a punch to the purse. And who the heck knows what else I'm missing in there?! So the answer is &quot;priceless&quot;!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Yesterday I got the soft bodyline above the driver's rear wheel well nice and crisp and the rest of the car is alomst there. Better pics of that later today. I seam sealed all the areas that needed it: door/trunk skins, trunk drip rails, quarter panel/door jambs, etc. I'll shoot another primer round this morning, and then start with 320 and the guide coat (a second time) today. And I'll be back for more trunk work this afteroon too! I wasn't happy with the front wheel lips, so I spent yesterday redoing those as well. Did I already mention I'll never ever ever NEVER EVER EVER NEVER do another Coronet agian???[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]

More to come!!!!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

The quarters are a work of art.

The Super Bee is a top 5 car in my virtual collection:-)

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 10-14-2016, 12:26 PM

Dave -- just a piece of advice ... never say never. That car looks too damn awesome to say you'll NEVER do a Coronet again. TAZ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Impressive. Great work!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Looking great! I'm tired just looking at those hours of bodywork.

Jason
Old 10-14-2016, 09:21 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanks, Guys! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] The encouragement is really appreciated!!!!! Ryan, a work of art? Yeah, maybe done by Slavador Dali. That guy, I'm tellin' ya, is a freakin' whack-a-doodle! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img] So maybe my handiwork will fit right in with his! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/no.gif[/img] And Taz....NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER!!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

OK, so to wrap the week up, I sprayed out the car in another round of DPS3055 to check the lines.

I'm about 95% done with the trunk. What looked like the surface of the moon now resembles more of the Desert SW with an occasional Meteor Crater. Almost done with this!

Also, after about 6hrs, I went back and used some blue painter's tape to mark any dimple, scratch, flaw I could find and as you can see. I found a lot!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] Someone at the shop complex asked me what all the tape marks are for and I said, &quot;Flaws that I need to fix.&quot; His comment was, &quot;Where? I see the tape, but what's it marking?&quot; I had to show him what I was seeing with my flaw eyes and he laughed. He said I was nuts then put a &quot;Needs Help&quot; sticker on my forehead. And, I agree, I do need help. But I still need to fix the flaws!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif[/img]

I did figure a way to minimize this problem. Put a nice 5lb sledge hammer blow into the side of the quarter panel. People will be so shocked at that, they'll look past all the other things!!!!! Hmmm [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] Maybe I better not do that....

More next week!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 10-14-2016, 09:24 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

Looks great! I can't wait to see the finished car [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2016, 11:14 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

You and me both, Bruce! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I just can't wait to see it in paint, let alone assembled! I keep thinking of the process I'm going to use since I'll be doing it in stages: underside, trunk, interior, engine bay, exterior. And I keep changing a few things in my mind everytime I think about it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] Another round of blocking this week and I amd hoping next week I can get the car on the rotisserie and start shooting the color!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img] WOOHOO!!!!!

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

Dave
Old 10-17-2016, 08:19 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/cool.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]