Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 10-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,576 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: "The Beater Bee" becomes "The Better Bee"

Back onto the twirler so I can finish off the rockers and reduce some of the pitting on the pans. Man...I'm so ready to shoot the gray dip primer on here!

And I'm done with the trunk! Now I've got quadruple the pits on the floor. Oh well, what else did I have to do?

Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode of "fill that pit!" Or,something like that :-)
Old 10-19-2016, 10:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Looks ready for some colour:-)

Ryan

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
Old 10-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Wetsanding to 400.....
Old 10-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

And I discovered the whomptie of all whompties on the front fender! How the heck I missed this is a head scratcher [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] What I've found is that with a whole day of sanding, I need a break to let my hands rest. First thing in the morning is when I find whatever I missed. Can you imagine if I painted that? I can hear the announcer now....&quot;So, Dave....tell us about your whomptie, er, Super Bee....&quot; [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img].

Lucky I fixed it. The whole car is down to 400 now. Tomorrow will be a few small spot touch ups, fix two areas I'm not happy with, and then another block with 400 followed by a wash. Getting closer!!!!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

A few more of the roof and the quarter panels [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]. There are only a few small areas I need to touch up, surprisingly. I was fully expecting to have to redo them a few times. I think it's getting close!

I'm about 95% there I think. Is anyone ever REALLY READY to paint a car? My eye goes right to what's wrong with it. Ugh!!!!
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img]. But I think I'm close!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers
Old 10-20-2016, 11:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Dave,

I remember when I had a big repair on my 59 Impala (everything below the mid-body trim moulding on the passenger side), the body guy let me help and I block sanded the hell out of that thing only to find the most minor imperfection here and there. When I pointed one of them out to him, he told me to run my hand across the top of the fender where it was factory smooth. It wasn't at all. After the paint, clear and wet sanding, it was perfectly smooth. Better than the factory.

I'm sure you car will be spectacular when done. Thanks for spinning some humor into what appears to be a major addiction around here.

Phil W.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2016, 12:24 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

It's looking great!!!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:38 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Love seeing progress photos.. I have to say Im not a Mopar guy but this is turning into one of my favorites. Also like the classic car hangar website.. You've had/have some great rides.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanks, Darrell. Don't worry, I'm quickly not becoming a Mopar guy too! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] ugh! Just kidding, and at the end of that day this is just soooooooooo much fun I love every minute of it! After this weekend, I'm ready! I know I'm ready since I was able to put up the heavy fill, nothing but 400 paper laying around, and it was clean enough to pull a car back in! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers

Dave
Old 10-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Alrighty....the past few days have been productive. The production that has gone on over the weekend is a product of producing a proactive productivity-related protificated providence. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img] In other words, I got a lot o' crap done! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img] I was able to spray the entire car in dip gray primer. I'm very happy with the result since most of the heavy pitting has been filled in and it starting to look like a restored car again!

I shot the engine bay, the trunk, the whole interior, and the underside to include the wheel wells and under the fenders. My goal was once the overspray is done, and then the undercoating in the wells, where ever there isn't V2 Hemi Orange, you will see the color of the primer from where the car was submerged in the dip tank. Hence the name, dip primer. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] I tried to get all the nooks and crannies all over so it appears as if the car was dipped and not sprayed. As you can see, this is a big project and a big process so I decided the break this whole paint process up over the course of 4 days. Up next will be the overspray with Hemi Orange!!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Cheers [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]