Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Car storage and rodents

I keep a couple of baited T-REX traps in the garage.Work great.For sale on Ebay.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 AM

If you can,putting the car on a 4 post lift is a good method.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Igosplut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Moth balls. Now these do work, But... they stink obviously .... </div></div>

I've gotten used to the moth balls and THEY DO WORK, throw in a couple of &quot;Little Green Trees&quot; come spring time and your set.

* also the wife and kid can't stand moth balls so that keeps them out of my car for the first few weeks of spring also [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM

I'm well aware of the dangers to pets. My dog has no access to the cement garage as it's detached. The thing is, I've brought the dog to work (auto repair shop) for the last ten years. She has the run of the place, but stays mostly in the office. We don't leave antifreeze uncovered as a rule, but she has never been attracted to it at all (yes we do watch). Also, my Snap-On dealer has a lab that makes the rounds with him I asked him if she ever went near any antifreeze (she runs through most everybody's shop on arrival) and he said the first six months he'd watch her, and anytime she got close he'd tell her &quot;No&quot;. He said she's never shown any interest since. And again, back in the day I worked at a gas station that had guard dogs. I can never recall any special precautions that the owner took other than not leaving drain pans uncovered. The five gallon bucket trap would be very hard for a dog to get it's head into given the rod/towel roll through the top center. And you could very easily make something to cover the top (chicken wire, etc) so there is only access for the mice.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x Baldwin Motion</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Igosplut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Moth balls. Now these do work, But... they stink obviously .... </div></div>

I've gotten used to the moth balls and THEY DO WORK, throw in a couple of &quot;Little Green Trees&quot; come spring time and your set.

* also the wife and kid can't stand moth balls so that keeps them out of my car for the first few weeks of spring also [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

My problem is that I'm so irrationally mad at the mice from past experience I'm more inclined to put half the box in......
Old 10-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 758 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Igosplut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: x Baldwin Motion</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Igosplut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....Moth balls. Now these do work, But... they stink obviously .... </div></div>

* also the wife and kid can't stand moth balls so that keeps them out of my car for the first few weeks of spring also [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img] </div></div>

My problem is that I'm so irrationally mad at the mice from past experience I'm more inclined to put half the box in...... </div></div>

I know what you mean. A couple years ago in the late Fall, a frikken field mouse moved an entire bag of grass seed from my garage into the interior of my Gramma's Firebird. He was so morbidly obese that he looked like a tennis ball with legs. Of course, I was not fast enough to catch him and accidentally kneeled on the center of the driver's seat and promptly heard a riiiiiiiiip as the center seam tore down the middle like a perforated piece of paper. Needless to say, i built a Maginot Line of mouse traps throughout the entire car and eventually got him.

It took five years to find the NOS saddle material to fix the center insert. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM

I have had better luck with the regular sent Bounce sheets. Get the largest box and pepper the interior with them on the floor in the defroster vent and heater duct, which is their favorite nesting spot at the base of the heater output then store tons of the neighbors dog food in the y connector. I place them also under the seat on the and under the rear. In the glove box, console, and the trunk, in the cowl induction hood and air-cleaner. And in the tail pipes - yes they made a nest one year there. Half way through winter you will need to replace them to keep squatters out.

I tried the cat solution but my cat is not that hungry to be effective and I hate the idea of his paws all over my paint. I tried mothballs but they left stains. I tried soap but it got messy.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Yenko Paid Member

Don't forget to turn the sun visors all the way down and away from the headliner. If not mice will find their way up there and they will chew a hole in the headliner.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 PM

Thanked 2,401 Times in 758 Posts

I went to Lowes and bought a bunch of the old fashioned mouse traps last week. I have already caught a mouse a day for three days, in the garage and the attic. The 3 cats have dibs on the inside of the house. We always know when they have a prisoner. I hear the kitten making a horrendous vibrating purr/growl that sounds like a cellphone set on vibrate, sitting an snare drum. Then the fun comes when we have to chase the kitties to do a prisoner trade to get the mouse from them and release it outside...after it signs a promise to never return.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM

From personal experience, mothballs neither worked in our cottage nor our cars. We've had no problem since using bounce dryer sheets. Use lots of they. They are not very expensive. I also keep warfarin down 12 months of the year and have had no problem since.