Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 06:37 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
This is a special offer since He is in charge of the CRG, -- and since he banned me from that forum several years ago I thought the free book is an appropriate peace offering.
Yup, and have only banned 2-3 people over the years!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Yep, and in doing so you banned the Norwood Retirees as well.

Think of everything you and the board could have learned over the years.. sad really.

Want a free book? I will ship it today.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM

Wow, it looks way different from the atmosphere in the plant I worked in. I hired into Chevrolet Spring and Bumper in September 78 and there was no fear on the union side. In fact, if management was either slow or disagreeable on settling grievances, our union steward would show up early in our shift and tell us to slow down our pace to send a message. Since our jobs were considered semi-skilled, we weren’t required to work at line speed so we could get away with it. The nice part of working that job was even though I was making great money for a young single guy, the deplorable working conditions inspired me to do better things with my life.
The plant is gone now but it was an amazing place as it was not only the largest plating facility in the world but supposedly had the largest press room as well. We had the capacity to punch-out and plate 25000 bumpers a day.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM

Yes! The story of the battle within GM over the discontinuation of regular bumpers is epic. The old styling guys vs the plastic fascia guys.

The fact that you were told to slow down makes sense actually because one side was actively trying to build a case to move to all plastic which at that time was still too expensive to produce domestically, however, once you make the metal plating process as inefficient as you can you then build a case for a styling change. In the 1970's plastic was still too expensive for GM to mass produce.

On the Camaro and Firebird GM fixed the cost and environmental issue by moving the front and rear fascia production entirely to Ramir Mexico where they were made, painted and then shipped just in time for assembly in the US.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Very interesting to watch this and other videos from actual workers at these plants, plus the great input from the people here that have worked the plants. I think this clearly shows that these plants were run by people, ordinary everyday people, not robots, and the quality control was primarily connected to the support team and management along with the mood of the day-week-month etc. As many of you know we at Mascar have restored many different Muscle Cars over the years by many different if not all major manufactures, and at least 5 full blown survivor cars. We have seen a very wide variance in the paint colors used on undercarriage, firewalls, we have found all kinds of interesting things under the sound deadening materials, shit shoved under the dash, different bolts in motors that have never been apart etc. one of the first things we do is take a fender off and find the original paint, both exterior, interior, firewall, undercarriage etc. and after cleaning, put a gun on it ………. Lots of variations! I am going to create another thread and add our thoughts on this …………. Wishing you all a Happy New Year

1970 Top Secret Very Special Muscle Car in restoration by MASCAR to be unveiled at MCACN 2020

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RST For This Useful Post:
70 copo (01-12-2019), bashton (01-13-2019), Xplantdad (01-12-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM

Today is the end at Lordstown. While not officially closed-the plant has no product allocated for production moving forward.

Last car comes off the line later today.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 copo View Post
Today is the end at Lordstown. While not officially closed-the plant has no product allocated for production moving forward.

Last car comes off the line later today.
I pass the lordstown plant often and for many years on the Ohio turnpike. Its going to be sad to see what happens to it. I sure hope GM does the right thing and hopefully and finds a good use for it.

1970 L78 camaro cranberry red standard black interior original drivetrain.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:48 PM

I find it hard to believe that just because a couple of specific vehicles are being phased out that the entire plant has to go.
Seems a bit wasteful on the part of GM
Old 03-07-2019, 12:40 AM

That Chevy movie had some Nova/Willow footage in it. Cool
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa