Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pontiac

Old 03-11-2015, 01:33 AM

Default Re: 1969 Firebird unusal factory color

I love Goldenrod/Daytona yellow to be honest but with that green top is definitely a mismatch in my opinion but it's just an opinion.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:57 AM

I think my comment was misinterpreted (my fault). Yellow/green isn't really clashing, my point was that while this Firebird is an unusual combo, it's more subtle than some other examples we've seen, and there were many clashing colors in the late 60's.

Friends Don't Let Friends Order Cars [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]
Attached Images

DVD's for Musclecar fans! MusclecarFilms.com
Old 03-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,142 Posts

Here's a Musclecar of the Week Youtube link...is this the Yellow/Green '69 'Packer' ragtop mentioned above?
Too cool it's a Canada car w/ GM Vintage paperwork!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkto1ZkwwQ
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete
Old 03-11-2015, 10:08 PM

My friend's dad ordered a green/red 1968 GTO convertible new. He still has it!

I can't remember the name of the green, but it's the very dark green that looks black (one of the best greens out there, IMHO). With the red interior, it's almost like an Xmas tree - looks quite nice, actually.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:53 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 442w30</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My friend's dad ordered a green/red 1968 GTO convertible new. He still has it!

I can't remember the name of the green, but it's the very dark green that looks black (one of the best greens out there, IMHO). With the red interior, it's almost like an Xmas tree - looks quite nice, actually. </div></div>

Nightshade?

My son got a 2015 Mustang calender for Christmas. December's car is a 70 Boss 302, dark green with red interior. Advertising car, I believe.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM

Yeah, that's it!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM

Actually this yellow /green raiv rag came from a small town north of Quebec City , Quebec .Over 1200 miles plus from Geen Bay and other side of the border . It was located there in the early 80s . Good original car and could be the most optioned out 69 firebird ever built . Great to see it finally restored thanks to Gary and the owner .Great color combination ,my opinion .One of 5- 69 RAIV firebird convertibles with automatic ever built (we know of 2 total 69 raiv conv automatics found )

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StealthBird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We discussed that at the MCACN show with Gary from Level One Restorations. Being they (Level One) are from Colorado, they didn't understand why sometimes they heard Chicagoans refer to the Firebird as a &quot;Packer car&quot;. I told him about the long standing NFL rivalry between the Bears and the Packers, and Packer green and yellow just stand out around here when you see the colors on jackets, shirts, etc.

What's really unusual about the 1969 yellow/green RAIV Firebird was that someone ordered the car, in these unusual colors, made it a ragtop, and added in some expensive items like a RAIV engine, auto trans, p/w, tilt, pwr ant, and many other options. Oddly enough, they left off Rally II wheels.

Most likely the yellow/green combo were school colors, or perhaps they were Green Bay Packer fan, or a John Deere fan, who knows.

More pics: http://www.musclecarfilms.com/1969Po...vertibles.html

Mike </div></div>
Old 03-13-2015, 05:02 PM

Well, I wasn't insinuating the car came from Green Bay. I'm actually quite familiar with this car. I was merely pointing out the color combo may have had some significance to the original owner, perhaps team colors. As we know, sports fans can be from any city or country.

Definitely not the most optioned out 69 Firebird I've ever seen, not even close.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:50 PM

I just talked to him definately not a packers fan He was a pro curler and the car was raced by the dealership .More options really I guess I'm wrong ,Wow would like to see A couple of 69 Fb PHS with more than 33 items on sheet . We're they 400 cars ? Thanks for info
Old 03-14-2015, 12:42 AM

Again, I think the Goldenrod Yellow/green 1969 Firebird is pretty cool, well optioned, and it was VERY well restored. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

I have invoices for a 34 and a 36 optioned car (both 400 cars), and also just did a window sticker for a 39 optioned Firebird 400 ragtop non-HO (I have a couple 33 optioned Bird invoices too). All these cars had two-page window stickers. There's a 40 optioned 1969 Firebird 400 brass hat car (with extra cost paint, which was another option), but only have the build sheet with an obscured VIN on that one.

Some interesting options that are rarely seen (the yellow/green does not have these) are Instant-Aire, leather interior, tape deck, 4-speaker AM/FM stereo, and adjustable Koni shocks.

Goldenrod Yellow was listed as &quot;special order&quot; in Pontiac sales material, but it's not exactly rare. Goldenrod Yellow, like Carousel Red (a.k.a. Hugger Orange in the Chevy World) was just a $12.64 option on the 1969 Firebird, and they sold a boatload of Goldenrod Yellow and Carousel Red 1969 Firebirds. The confusion here is that invoices list &quot;PAINT SPECL&quot;, and people think it's some rare non-RPO color. Goldenrod Yellow was coded on the trim tag and invoice, it was just an extra cost color.

A true special paint car would be like this 1972 Trans Am ordered in Adriatic Blue (from the MCACN show). 1970-1972 Trans Am's were only available in Polar White or Lucerne Blue.
Attached Images