Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Headers for 69 sYc camaro tribute

First of all, hello from Barcelona (Spain), so please sorry my poor english [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]

I'm the recent owner of a 69 Camaro sYc tribute that has just arrived to home.

I'm thinking to change the headers of the 427 engine because there are in an ugly fashion and I want the engine compartment be the cleanest and nicer possible. I was thinking to buy a ceramic coated headers, but I have no idea what would be the right ones, without spending too much money.

I have found these on summit but I don't know if they should be the short, middle or full sized ones.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/...ramic&amp;dds=1

If you think that these are not the right ones, please let me know it.

Thank you in advance and sorry if this issue has been already discussed.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Headers for 69 sYc camaro tribute

Welcome to the site! I took a quick look at the headers that you linked. I would not feel comfortable making a recomendation, as I don't have a Yenko. I would however suggest that you visit the web site for firts gen Camaros, www.camaros.net. The guys there will be able to answer any question you have about fittment. It will make a difference if you have an automatic or stick, power steering, and there is the size of the tubes. It will depend on the modifications that you have to the engine as to the tube size that will work best for you.
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 05-26-2010, 01:21 AM

Smaller tubes headers work pretty good in my opinion for street applications. Summit, Jegs etc. are good places to buy them. Full size is what I suggest. No shorties or whatever.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the site! I took a quick look at the headers that you linked. I would not feel comfortable making a recomendation, as I don't have a Yenko. I would however suggest that you visit the web site for firts gen Camaros, www.camaros.net. The guys there will be able to answer any question you have about fittment. It will make a difference if you have an automatic or stick, power steering, and there is the size of the tubes. It will depend on the modifications that you have to the engine as to the tube size that will work best for you. </div></div>

Hi. Thank you for your answer. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] I will check www.camaros.net for information. I think there are no changes on the engine so far.

Here is a picture of the engine. I think the exhaust is the original one from the engine and is very rusty.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sc69sam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smaller tubes headers work pretty good in my opinion for street applications. Summit, Jegs etc. are good places to buy them. Full size is what I suggest. No shorties or whatever. </div></div>

Yes, I want to replace the original one in the picture (because I don't konw if it can be restored properly), for street use.

Thank you [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dracir2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sc69sam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Smaller tubes headers work pretty good in my opinion for street applications. Summit, Jegs etc. are good places to buy them. Full size is what I suggest. No shorties or whatever. </div></div>

Yes, I want to replace the original one in the picture (because I don't konw if it can be restored properly), for street use.

Thank you [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] </div></div>

The picture shows that you have cast iron exhaust manifolds. If you would like to keep those ones, there is a company that can make them look like new again. The web site is www.z28camaro.com. Look at his &quot;restoration services&quot; section. The man does very nice work. Headers will normally make the engine run better, but the cast iron ones look so much better, and there are some guys that are in the 11s when running them.

Here you go:http://www.z28camaro.com/restosvcs.html#manifold
34 Ford Sedan..Hemi powered
Michigan/ Florida
Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TDW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The picture shows that you have cast iron exhaust manifolds. Headers will normally make the engine run better, but the cast iron ones look so much better, and there are some guys that are in the 11s when running them.
</div></div>
I guess I fall into that category...in the past, I've had good luck with soda blasting the manifolds then using a good high heat manifold coating in a rattle can.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:04 PM

There's 500 degree spray paint and then there's 1200 degree which is what you want. SEYMOUR makes a good 1200 degree &quot;cast blast&quot; apray paint.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:45 PM

Thank you for your advices.

I found the paint you told.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SEM-16-2668/

I will try. Thank you very very much [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]