Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Default Old style cragar ss vs the new style ss

I'm building a period correct 69 pro ock Camaro and heard from cragar that they changed the spoke design in the 90's to a more flat spoke and are now all uni-lug. My question is when you compare the 2 are they significantly different? Its hard to tell in pics, I know once the lug nuts are on the uni lug part disappears but I'm concerned about the spokes. I'm guessing if I painted the lug but area silver like the originals it might look better? Any info and opinions would be great. Thanks! BTW I'm going to be running a 15x4 and 15x8 or 10 deep in the back.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 42842.jpg 42077.jpg 42076.jpg 42075.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Old style cragar ss vs the new style ss

The newer flat spoke wheels came out later than you think. If I were to guess, I would say 2006-2008 or so.

Here are the newer wheels. Can you spot the differences? These are 2014 offering as you can see.

Here are some traditional spokes from 1997

Here is a set form 1994

The chrome isn't great on the old ones. What I would like to do is collect old centers when I can get them cheap. You can re-hoop them and re-chrome them. Maybe change the offset too. I'm not thrilled with this particular look, due to the large flat area- though I've seen original Cragars with it too. Just found these on ebay tonight but they show the whole re-hoop and custom offset thing. I still would rather rock these than the newer flat spokes- but I can't really explain why. Sometimes ego trumps logic.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:36 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pxtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The newer flat spoke wheels came out later than you think. If I were to guess, I would say 2006-2008 or so.

Here are the newer wheels. Can you spot the differences? These are 2014 offering as you can see.

Here are some traditional spokes from 1997

Here is a set form 1994

The chrome isn't great on the old ones. What I would like to do is collect old centers when I can get them cheap. You can re-hoop them and re-chrome them. Maybe change the offset too. I'm not thrilled with this particular look, due to the large flat area- though I've seen original Cragars with it too. Just found these on ebay tonight but they show the whole re-hoop and custom offset thing. I still would rather rock these than the newer flat spokes- but I can't really explain why. Sometimes ego trumps logic.

</div></div>

Pxtx thanks so much for the comparison! I agree 100% with the ego statement lol! I love the rounded spoke really has that classic look. I've seen a few sets that need to be re chromed but some guys want stupid money for them. I may just hold out until I can fond some real clean originals! Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:00 AM

Unilugs were out pretty early. The round spoke is the key for me. Great pictures from PXTX on the subject.
Also the &quot;new&quot; 15X4 Cragars are now 15X4.5
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 AM

Unilugs bother me as much as flat spokes.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:33 AM

I agree 100% guys! I'm gonna keep looking for the old style cragars they always pop up here and there.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:44 PM

I have a bunch of early NOS..here is 14x6 NOS..Camera sorta distorted the size of the wheels. Al early Cragars until at least the late 70's or early 80's had the lug nut pocket sprayed with aluminum colored paint from the factory..not sure when Crgar stopped but I have some early 80's and they were still painted..

I can't stand the new flat spoke Cragars..looks like the cheap no name brands of the 70's or model car kit mags.
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camarojoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unilugs bother me as much as flat spokes. </div></div>

The Cragars on my car are unilug and have been on it since 1975..never a problem.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:27 PM

I'm sure they're not a problem... But in my opinion if you're going for a true &quot;day 2&quot; look on a 60's Chevy they gotta have round lug holes.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:09 PM

I'm finishing up a very accurate period correct (1970-74 era). Day 2
69 Z/28 with SS Cragars, 8 1/2 X15 rear &amp; Aluminum slots 15X7 fronts.
In finding originals that size I found nothing but Junk or flaking,peeling Uni-lugs that were unacceptable to use
(anybody having mint or NOS Wheels either wanted stupid $$$ or weren't for sale) or had 'bad rechroming'

I Chose the New SS Direct fit single bolt circle with the Best Chrome these wheels have had in 35+ years.
Yes, these are flat spokes mounted on Original Good Year L60's &amp; F60's.
I used Original centers with the bold script &amp; blue paint .
They Look fine on the car, fit the wheelhouse without air shocks or shackles (barely) These Are safe with no Fatigue or hidden cracked welds or damaged spokes as I will Run the car on the Dragstrip @ well over 100 mph along with hard Street use.
Taking in account Quality,Looks,New Chrome, Size and backspacing and Of Course SAFETY, this was a No Brainer in Choosing the &quot;Newest Cragar SS vs
questionable original uni-lugs that are actually Incorrect for my Build.

If Cragar Industries Remakes the &quot;Round spoke in Direct fit&quot;,,, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.....just saying.
Thanks, this is a great thread !