Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 11-22-2014, 04:08 AM

Default Re: Old style cragar ss vs the new style ss

Sure you could have bought uni-lug Cragars for your new 69 several YEARS later, but that's certainly not a "day 2" wheel by definition. Day 2 Cragars should be versions made at (or very near) the time the car itself was made.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM

Geez... tough crowd. 98% of people that look at these new wheels will never know the difference between the original wheels and the modern wheels. The new wheels still capture the basic "look". While I agree that the originals look better, there is something to be said about having a brand new wheel with no rust or hidden damage if you are actually driving or racing the car.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

When we judge Day-2 at MCACN they tell us to try to stay with a 1 year or so time frame on the Day-2 parts. Without dismounting the tire from the wheel and looking at the date its tough to see if that unilug/straight lug wheel is within the one year or so time frame. The flat spokes are a dead give-a-way. I personally tend to go a little further in the process because those Day-2 parts took a couple years at times to reach the cars back then. Some Speed Shop parts that were originally on my nova did not come out to the early 70's or so. Torquer intake manifolds , Cragar Super Tricks, tall valve covers etc. I even believe header mufflers were a product of the early 70's. Its a tough call on the time frame of these old parts.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camarojoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure you could have bought uni-lug Cragars for your new 69 several YEARS later, but that's certainly not a &quot;day 2&quot; wheel by definition. Day 2 Cragars should be versions made at (or very near) the time the car itself was made. </div></div>

Most of the guys that bought these cars back in the 60's/70's were not making the money to buy these DAY 2 parts the same year that they came out. Cape cod one car garage house that had a guy leaning on the trunk...shirt off working 65 hours a week to own these cars. I for one was there and had these cars and it took me months or even a year or two to get the speed parts that I wanted for the car. Side pipes/Cragars/Hooker headers/Edlebrock Manifolds/Hurst shifters/Lakewood traction bars and so on...Sam is right on what and how to judge what happened back then and what is ample time for these parts to get on these hi-po cars. Sam was there...lived it... bought it...raced it. House/kids and marriage was the downing moment for these guys that made them sell their cars. Oh...and the price of gas and the insurance didn't help much.

Why do you think that soo many different magazines were printed about these cars and all the speed parts that were being manufactured during that time period. Do people really think that the average guy could buy a Motion or Nickey or Yenko back in the day...NO way!! No body cared about paperwork for these cars...only paperwork they kept was the Hurst stickers or instructions from the speed part box. Remember guys...these cars were our daily drivers in all kinds of weather. Snow as well! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Dave
67 Nova Boy

My daily driver that I raced/drove to school. 69 Chevelle SS 396 L78 4-speed {original Monoco Orange with Liquid tire chain}

Old 11-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Bottom line is uni-lugs look better than modern Cragars, but definitely weren't made or sold in 69/70 or even 71. If you bought any style of Cragars in those years they had round holes and were a direct fit.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:04 PM

Joe...agree 100%

Straight lugs are the best but real hard to find now a days.

Dave
67 Nova Boy
Old 11-22-2014, 02:32 PM

Very good points Dave.

So that is the &quot;bottom line&quot; folks.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM

Sam,Dave &amp; Joe,
You are all both right and subjective.
to the Real World of Day 2.
My car was sold in November of 69 when the year was over.
1970 was the start of Day 2 for this build. The items Did Not get installed all at once but as a &quot;progression&quot; of Performance and appearance.
Trying to be accurate, detailed and correct for the period I set a time frame from 1970-74 for acceptable speed parts.
I acquired dated catalogs, Era magazines and NOS or Boxed items with dated packages,directions,even dated parts.
Some were made and marketed for years prior and post my time frame. Some with a small window.
Judgeing a Day two car is subjective at best. Opinions, knowledge and facts needed would be immense considering the volume of parts, manufactures and application.

Cragars manufactured in various time periods are as different as NOS parts made decades apart. Reproduction parts made years or decades apart are vastly different from Original, NOS ,NORS, reissued parts.
Are you judging wheels differently than Reproduction, Nos or reissue parts ?
Or being subjective and reasonable as a group of men can be on a 40 - 45 year old car &amp; parts ?

Tom
Old 11-22-2014, 03:24 PM

Tom, I like your time frame from 70 to 74ish on a 68-69 cars.
That is how I see it but others do not.
I take more into consideration (time factor) because I am older than some of these guys
and have lived this Speed Shop transformation personally.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:08 PM

Yes,
I know that oh so well.
I'm 55. that being said, I was 10 in 69 &amp; 11 in 70.....with a Dad and older brother, uncles, friends and locals living that era. I hung around,helped work on and even rode in &quot;these real world Day 2 Cars&quot;. As I got older I was able to drive and &quot;tune them&quot;.
What the reality brings us is a lot of these parts saw limited use and were sold or traded off for newer, better or totally different upgrades or changes.
It was commonplace for top local strip &amp; street guys to buy / trade Used Parts that were &quot;like new&quot; therefore the use of 5-10 yr old pieces vs run out and buy unproven new stuff was prevalent.
Where I'm going is that today , if you find a 69 Car with 5-10 year old prior speed parts on it , most of today's Day 2 guys will scoff because &quot;they didn't know&quot; , they didn't &quot;live it&quot;.
Same for a 69 Car with mostly '77-'79 parts added. They think its right.
On the flip side are cars from '69 that weren't modified until the late 70's -early 80's....
Are these Day 2 cars or period cars ?

I've had and preserved both kinds.