Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 09-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: motion nova advertised on craigslist

Here is all I have to say:

1. There is speculation this car was a Motion car from new..how did Joel put on on L-88 hood in '68 when those hoods did not hit the market until 1970 or so?

2. If anyone reads the late 60's/early 70's NY based mags (Rodder &amp; SuperStock, Cars etc) there were tons of Motion converted cars either featured or pics in letters to the editor. Nearly all of them <span style="font-weight: bold">DID NOT</span> have the fiberglass hoods/paint stripes/sidepipes or other well known Motion trinkets...funny how all these &quot;trinkets&quot; get added on the restoration...can't people just restore the car how it was? Well no they think they need to add the trinkets to get the price up.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 PM

If the hoods were not available in 1968 how did the 4K mile one 1968 Camaro posted on this link that is certified have one from day one. The hood on the Nova was there forever.
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/576837/2
Old 09-19-2014, 08:18 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the hoods were not available in 1968 how did the 4K mile one 1968 Camaro posted on this link that is certified have one from day one. The hood on the Nova was there forever.
https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/576837/2 </div></div>

The car came from Motion with a steel hood and a Ford Thunderbolt scoop molded in. Later the owner added the fiberglass L-88 hood when it became available.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:47 PM

I thought Joel or Marty said the first Motion car to use the L-88 hood was the 69 Z/28 Motion Green Meenie?
Old 09-19-2014, 09:18 PM

In Martys book page 93
Old 09-19-2014, 09:23 PM

Barry
Read the last sentence &quot;after delivery he brought the car back to Joel for the additional L-88 hood&quot;. The car when first built had a steel hood with a molded in Ford tear drop scoop.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:44 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whitetop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Here is all I have to say:

1. There is speculation this car was a Motion car from new..how did Joel put on on L-88 hood in '68 when those hoods did not hit the market until 1970 or so?

2. If anyone reads the late 60's/early 70's NY based mags (Rodder &amp; SuperStock, Cars etc) there were tons of Motion converted cars either featured or pics in letters to the editor. Nearly all of them <span style="font-weight: bold">DID NOT</span> have the fiberglass hoods/paint stripes/sidepipes or other well known Motion trinkets...funny how all these &quot;trinkets&quot; get added on the restoration...can't people just restore the car how it was? Well no they think they need to add the trinkets to get the price up.</div></div>

Perfect Dave!
Old 09-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Just as I told the buyer when he purchased the car from me, &quot;Dan P. told me he bought the hood separate and added it to the car sometime after he purchased it around 1984, he had no knowledge of it being a real motion hood but he thought it was a similar type to the ones that they put on there car, he thought the hood looked cooler than the stock one... He also stated be bought several other parts that were Motion correct parts and used a lot of parts from his old collection to add them back to the car to make it like it would have been if it was a true motion car, he also purchased parts to build a L88 engine that was later sold when he needed money !!!! He never told me or could he remember exactly what he added back to the car other than the hood...He truly believed it was a original Motion car but years and years of research NEVER PROVED IT TO BE ONE !!!!!&quot;

The bottom line is simple, just as the buyer from me was told BEFORE he bought the car, there is NO first hand knowledge of the car being a motion car or a product of the motion shop. I had a conversation with Mr. Rosen who clearly stated he would never sign off on the car and in &quot;his opinion and documentation&quot; he had no history or knowledge of the car being at Motion product, and there was even a letter that still exists stating that. The Person that was thought to have owned it as new is dead and no one is his close circle of relatives has memory or information on the car..

There was never to my knowledge any factual proof of who even owned the car as a new vehicle!!!

I purchased the car as help to an old friend in need, sight un-seen and once I saw the car it was a bigger project than I was interested in completing,(you see Dan and I share the love of the 1968 and 1969 Nova) I was going to put the car back as the original build sheet that was included with the car shows it as, a high option 68 SS350 nova...

The car was purchased by me from Dan and then sold by me, at a cash loss, with the buyers intention of restoring it and researching the car after he was told it was at best a maybe car and probably not even a motion car. there were tons of paperwork and recorded conversations given to the buyer that neither confirmed or denied the car being affiliated with motion.

Then someone spends a couple months talking to the people who already went on record as not being 100% sure of anything at there senior years and now it has become a motion car with a couple had written notes from 3rd party people..

WOW I guess that makes it so !!!

Bottom line is Dan spent a lot of time, money and energy chasing the truth whatever it was, he never found it, he passed the car on at a reasonable price to me to restore it, he wanted to save the history, now it seems that the true history will never been found and exactly what he didn't want to happen is happening, someone is trying to profit off the car as this weeks &quot;flip of the week car&quot; !!!!

Just one more sad story to all us who really love the cars for there real history and the memories from our youthful years !!!!

BEST OF LUCK TO THE SELLER, BEWARE ANY POTENTIAL BUYER !!!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM

While I'm not defending this Nova, I recall a 68 Chevelle that popped up on ebay (out of Iowa or Kansas City maybe) with no motion mod's...had newer stinger hood, 3.07 open rear, newer style 427 badges, Lakewood T bars and a 454 out of a '75 Suburban. I also recall hearing that it got certified by JR. Wonder if NCRS document would shed any light on that one and where it is now [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

it's a buyer beware position on lot's of these ol' cars [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 PM

It was delivered to Wallace Chevy in Linden NJ accoring to the NCRS