Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 09-23-2014, 07:13 PM

Default Re: motion nova advertised on craigslist

yes, the Nova was sold at Wallace....I was wondering about which dealer sold the Chevelle
Old 09-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

anyone got a copy of CL ad?
Old 09-23-2014, 09:22 PM

Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 PM

After a long silence from Dan, he reached out to me today and ask me to post his current telephone number for anyone that wants the real facts on the car since now it is NOT being presented in its real form !!!( I wont post it, but anyone wanting it send me a PM)

It's really pretty sad how its all playing out, and from what Dan stated today him and the person selling the car really got into it about the car and how it is being presented for sale right now.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 AM

this ol' Nova sure has had a lot of drama attached to it over the years. I remember when Dan found it and tried to get it blessed by JR. Here's what I recall...might not be 100% accurate as it's been a really long time and unfortunately, I'm not sure it will clear anything up either.

When Dan bought the car and did his usual (extensive) due diligence, including contacting ex motion & Batt auto body employees. He said he eventually made a call & spoke with Mrs Rosen, told him why he was calling and (he told me) she seemed to know the Nova he was calling about and passed the phone to JR. After a conversation, he sent JR's fee (1500 I think)to certify it.
Then, out of the blue, Dan said he got a phone call from Kevin S about it and an NICB was run by a friend of a friend. Dan told me that Kevin specifically asked if it was a 'green Nova painted black' and so Dan deduced the JR had called Kevin about it.

JR took the cert fee, but Dan never got his letter. At this point, he called me for advice & I suggested he push him for a yes or no letter or to return his money ...Dan did that & that's apparently when the sh*t hit the fan. Dan was convinced that JR was stalling on the cert in order for Kevin to buy it on the cheap. After some verbal exchange, Dan got a 'maybe letter' from JR but enough bad juju had been conveyed so that it would never be certified as the '1st Motion Nova'.

Unconnected to this, but perhaps significant, there have been 2 other sYc member's who have also had similar experiences getting their car's 'motion certified' where calls were made, money paid and then those individuals were called by prospective buyers about their cars (Rich Pern and I think the other was JD502 [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img])
The burning question that needs an answer is if actual paper documentation/invoices exist or if cert's are based on memory and/or photograph's etc. As said before, it's a buyer beware hobby [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/burnout.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2014, 01:45 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NovaMob03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JR took the cert fee, but Dan never got his letter. At this point, he called me for advice &amp; I suggested he push him for a yes or no letter or to return his money ...Dan did that &amp; that's apparently when the sh*t hit the fan. Dan was convinced that JR was stalling on the cert in order for Kevin to buy it on the cheap. After some verbal exchange, Dan got a 'maybe letter' from JR but enough bad juju had been conveyed so that it would never be certified as the '1st Motion Nova'.

Unconnected to this, but perhaps significant, there have been 2 other sYc member's who have also had similar experiences getting their car's 'motion certified' where calls were made, money paid and then those individuals were called by prospective buyers about their cars (Rich Pern and I think the other was JD502 [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img])</div></div>

I think my respect for &quot;Mr. Motion&quot; just took a hit.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2014, 03:54 PM

also, pretty sure that when the 'maybe letter' was sent to Dan, his certification money was refunded. That, in itself, was interesting and a nice gesture on JR's part (I recall him having a no refund policy) as it took his time to do the research...a two party agreement that was understood and acceptable IMO
Old 09-24-2014, 03:57 PM

There was a dark colored/black 68-72 Nova in Hot Cars/Rodder and Super Stock?? magazine around 1973 or so. Not sure of color because it was a black and white feature-remember seeing it 10-12 years ago. Motion conversion car. Motion put in the Lt-1 350 engine, tranny and rear gears, suspension and set up the ignition. Car retained stock SS hood, stock paint. Car ran Cragar SS, M/t valve covers and NO flyeye air cleaner-Ran stock chrome GM I believe. I recall the only Motion insignia were the Motion badge on each M/T valve cover.

This was your typical Motion conversion car. Take off the 2 badges and these cars blended in as typical street machine of the day..probably why so few are around...no one knows what they have.

Joel did a ton of these cars and how he can say for certaintity based upon a unfinished/half complete car is beyond me unless he has paperwork/prior owners name he specifically remembers or if there is something on the car which was really unique-that stayed on the car.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:07 PM

there should be vins on his paperwork I would think.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supercomp 8.90</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there should be vins on his paperwork I would think. </div></div>

that's one of the point's of my initial post...Does JR have any invoices with vin #'s to verify his cars? Personally, I don't believe a stash of Motion invoices exist. If they did, one would think it'd be attached to a certification letter as real proof. Anyone seen that?
Wonder if any car's built with 'catalog' parts have been certified as the real deal? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]