Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Chevrolet historical docs

Isn't this the same info you used to have to pay a fee to get and they would mail photocopies of the year/model you requested? I think it's been available for quite awhile but you used to have to pay for the info. I know I received what is shown in the link on the '70 Chevelle. It just came in the mail as a photocopies of all the pages.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:26 AM

That very well could be Dick, I certainly don't know for sure. The contact info was floating around the internet for quite a while years ago. I never did order it at that time. Regardless, I'm glad to have it.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ohhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't this the same info you used to have to pay a fee to get and they would mail photocopies of the year/model you requested? I think it's been available for quite awhile but you used to have to pay for the info. I know I received what is shown in the link on the '70 Chevelle. It just came in the mail as a photocopies of all the pages. </div></div>

Yes this is the $ docs. Now free.

Some IT guy prolly gonna get fired and I found it on Google. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

So yeah,IMO somebody better save all this free stuff before the link is blocked.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,003 Posts

I have these same documents and those for the 68 and 69 Impalas that I acquired direct from GM in the early 80's and all for free at that time. All you had to do was call a toll free number and they mailed you out a large envelope with the documents. I remembered being amazed that GM would, give you a toll free number, give you a LARGE stack of documents, likely 2&quot; thick and then mail them to you all for free.

The ones I ordered for the 70 Chevelle came to me in early 2000 and was again free. It came from Customer Service Center, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 11-11-2010, 05:18 PM

You can also get those information kits the &quot;normal&quot; way through the GM Heritage website rather than going straight to the directory.

GM Information Kits

This is good stuff!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Yea thats him, thought i would ask. Geoff.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:58 AM

I visited the center and found some Olds nuggets that has never been in the public domain before. I quickly checked out some Chevy stuff but the level of detail wasn't available. However, there's so much stuff that it's quite possible they have something and don't know it.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliosz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at some other stuff on the Heritage Center web site and found an interesting statement under the FAQ:

&quot;Question: Where can I find the records that you do not have?
Answer: For Buick records prior to 1982, contact the Alfred P. Sloan Museum. For Pontiac records prior to 1987, contact PHS. While we continue to search for original build records and dealer invoices for Chevrolet, GMC, and Oldsmobile vehicles built prior to the 1977 model year, there is currently no resource available from which to obtain this information.&quot;

Long shot but at least it sounds like they're interested in finding the pre 77 Chevrolet stuff.
</div></div>

I visited the Heritage Center this summer and specifically talked about the whole document thing with them. There may still be a chance that docs exist. The problem is that there is so much documentation stored in many archives that it would take years to sift through it all. I am well familiar with the story of a few folks running through the documentation 20 - 30 years ago and found nothing as well as the story about everything burning up.

Let's just say it would be difficult to convince GM to pay for a team to hunt this stuff down.