Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-13-2019, 05:28 PM

the auctions could care less,including the great b-j,this car was brought to their attention by previous owner and they totally blew it off.when proof was presented to them they said the vice president(the moron who wears sunglasses inside maybe?)would be in touch,years later no such contact
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...-HARDTOP-39824
The Following User Says Thank You to drce500 For This Useful Post:
purple panther (10-14-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,668 Times in 993 Posts

He wears the sunglasses because of a eye condition and is a nice guy.
MYSTERYCHEVELLE (10-13-2019), Xplantdad (10-14-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 PM

could be but still no call from him or anyone else at b-j
Old 10-15-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXBlackLs6M22 View Post
It's Ironic that Chevrolet found most of the Shipping Data that NCRS now has a service for but yet they can't dig up the Assembly Build Records on these cars like Oshawa Canada Kept for there cars built and Imported into Canada.

I bet there still out there but they don't want to disclose them for some reason from the USA Chevrolet files. I just don't buy that rumour that they were lost in a fire.
Hopefully one day they will emerge but wishful thinking IMO
I always figured they didn't want to be drawn into the many lawsuits that would fly about fake cars.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Interesting article from August 2016 ...

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Medi...t-z28-camaros/

Quote:
In my role as a member of the Barrett-Jackson team of automotive experts, I am asked to review certain rare Z/28, SS396 and COPO 427 Camaros – as well as LS6 Chevelles and L79 Nova SS Chevy IIs – at each auction that are represented, by the consignor, to have “matching numbers.”
Quote:
The same holds true for the LS6 Chevelle. Many LS6 Chevelles consigned to Barrett-Jackson are listed as having “matching numbers.” Any lifelong drag racer knows that many or most of these cars were driven hard on the street or racetrack – LS6 Chevelles were high-performance cars with solid lifters and were often pushed to their limits. When a consignor represents that their car is a matching-numbers LS6, our job is to help make sure the description is accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to rlw68 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw68 View Post
Interesting article from August 2016 ...

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Medi...t-z28-camaros/

So the question ya gotta ask yourself is..... " Do you feel lucky today?" " Well do ya?"

All kidding aside, people do still need to ask themselves.... is seeing a car that was verified or listed as real or in a registry.... enough to just pull the trigger without investigating further ??

For me, I would still do my own due dilligence and the ask the people I trust to look at the docs and stampings and tags. That's just me
Old 10-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsinor View Post
I'm certainly not defending anything or anyone here. I stand by my statement "Until some auction house steps up and offers a guarantee of the description, it will never get any better."

Having served as an automotive expert for Barrett-Jackson in the past I can assure you many descriptions have been changed, some cars have been removed from the sale and some have even been impounded by the authorities. So I might disagree with your claim. It's also pretty hard to review 170 plus cars in your area of expertise within a few days which is often all you have. I actually had cars show up for the first time in the staging lane and changed the description on the car when it was literally one car away. It's not as easy as hind site makes it sound.
I hear ya Roy, and I'm not in total disagreement with you. I'm friends with one of the experts and I've heard some horror stories. My point was/is that the cars that are inspected and deemed "illegitimate" aren't announced as clones/fake/tribute, or whatever the latest term is when they are offered (the majority of the time). I've heard the word "undocumented" thrown around lately, and in my opinion, that is nothing more than a build that was intended to deceive. IF a car is "genuinely undocumented" there would/could/should be enough tell-tale signs for an expert of the marque to determine the veracity of said vehicle. The fake P-O-P is nothing new. Many years ago I bought a CE 512 block for an LS-6 from a fellow (no names) that had a P-O-P machine in his dining room complete with original GM tape and blanks. This was back in the mid '90s, so like I said, faking docs isn't new. At that time, the going rate for a "Genuine GM" P-O-P was $275. Technically, they WERE Genuine GM, they just weren't ORIGINAL. The whole thing STINKS if you ask me.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 PM

Thanked 3,813 Times in 993 Posts

And as long as we keep patronizing these fake paper makers they will continue to prosper and the problem deepen. If some of these people were truly making some of these documents and the cars for show only or for their own enjoyment they would make such paperwork and/or cars VIN's made public but so far no one is willing to do that. In some states you as a builder who sells a car to a customer with full disclosure but that person sells it as real can still be held accountable so they need to be very careful.

I have purchased a lot of material over the years such as POP machines, tape, stamps, dealer invoice books, etc, etc for the sole purpose of getting such items off the streets. Very expensive to purchase but at least they are not on the street being used fraudulently. They are now on display in our showroom showcases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
300deluxeL79 (10-16-2019), 67BelAir427 (10-16-2019), DW31S (10-16-2019), Tenney (10-16-2019), ZLP955 (10-17-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 09:19 PM

An interesting thread...buffoonery abounds...

It just isn't cars guys routinely fake for profit. I also have an interest in WW2 US/German firearms, especially USMC sniper rifles.

I own one of the top real examples of what most collectors call an USMC Unertl sniper and have turned down in excess of $45k for it. A group of us who belong to a secret squirrel FB group, realized the number of fake rifles FAR exceeded the number of original ones. As a result I created a registry to track serial numbers and serve as a record.

I mention this as originally the registry was only about real rifles...ones we could prove were righteous. However after talking about it and noting guys were selling fakes for half or more of the value (a lot of money regardless)...we now track ANY serial we see reporting to be an Unertl sniper.

It still hasn't stopped some guys from spending stupid money (1 guy bought 2 obvious fakes for almost 75k total...with different transactions....and knew how to ask questions BEFORE buying...but got caught up in auction BS...lol)..

Tracking all reported (real and fakes) has allowed us to have a historical database we can reference, supplied some interesting quantitative data and actually saved a couple of guys from getting burned...

Something to consider in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1903USMCUnertl For This Useful Post:
AutoInsane (10-15-2019), Igosplut (10-16-2019), PeteLeathersac (10-15-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 01:01 PM

The problem is with pop plates that some individuals(( we know who they are)) have nos booklets and the pop machines along with nos tape. You cannot tell their fakes without a serious investigation of past owners and addresses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purple panther For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (10-16-2019), SS427 (10-16-2019)