Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 12-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW31S View Post
Graeme, there were long square bars, too. The set that were on the rear that was included in the package I sold to Mike were the longer style and had NOS hardware and shims. Not sure what he did with everything, but it was a killer set-up. I've been wondering about those air bags....you mentioned you might need/use air shocks to fine tune the ride height? My guess is that the air shocks would "trump" the bags if the body separation is due to higher pressure in the shocks than the bags. I remember you fabbing some different length shackles, and while I've never been a fan of longer than stock shackles, I think they would be more compatible with the bags if you intend to use the bags for traction devices. The only other option I can think of, where the bags could/would be used for preload would be re-arching or changing the rear leaf springs. If the bags are only along for the "cool factor", or if you plan to use THEM to adjust ride height, then my comments and thoughts are out the window! IIRC, the original intended use of the bags was for stability in situations as trailering or carrying heavy loads, but not for high level inflation for everyday use. I used them in an A-Body drag car back in the day and they worked like a champ, but we never inflated them for ride height, only to tune the launch. I seem to remember to left side was 7lbs., and the right was 14.
BTW, the car looks fantastic!!!
I plan to make use of those air bags in future.

Safe and awaiting for time. :-)

Ryan W31

1969 Beaumont 350 Auto White Sold
1969 Beaumont 307 Auto Green Sold
1969 Chevelle SS 396-L35 Auto Blue Sold
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe W31
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan1969Chevelle For This Useful Post:
NorCam (12-28-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 04:31 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW31S View Post
Graeme, there were long square bars, too. The set that were on the rear that was included in the package I sold to Mike were the longer style and had NOS hardware and shims. Not sure what he did with everything, but it was a killer set-up. I've been wondering about those air bags....you mentioned you might need/use air shocks to fine tune the ride height? My guess is that the air shocks would "trump" the bags if the body separation is due to higher pressure in the shocks than the bags. I remember you fabbing some different length shackles, and while I've never been a fan of longer than stock shackles, I think they would be more compatible with the bags if you intend to use the bags for traction devices. The only other option I can think of, where the bags could/would be used for preload would be re-arching or changing the rear leaf springs. If the bags are only along for the "cool factor", or if you plan to use THEM to adjust ride height, then my comments and thoughts are out the window! IIRC, the original intended use of the bags was for stability in situations as trailering or carrying heavy loads, but not for high level inflation for everyday use. I used them in an A-Body drag car back in the day and they worked like a champ, but we never inflated them for ride height, only to tune the launch. I seem to remember to left side was 7lbs., and the right was 14.
BTW, the car looks fantastic!!!
Hello Dave...

I've seen some longer versions of the square bars but I think they are still an inch or two shorter than these bars at 33" in overall length? IIRC the square bars always seemed to be an inch further back of the front spring perches? Be curious to know what those measured in at forward and overall length? I do think Mike ended up selling those ones he had.

As for the airbags, I bought them more as a day II accessory and a period-correct bolt-on. Since I'm building it as a streetcar, they would seldom be used as a traction device although I presently have them set at 7 pounds and 12 pounds. I figured if I left them in there they'd have low pressure just to keep them expanded correctly. I was hoping I could use them to support some rear height and run a set of drag shocks but unless I pump them up higher they just don't lift the car enough to support these tires.

Whether or not I add the shackle extensions to the rear is yet to be seen. In either case, I may need air shocks just to get the right height to run the 50's but still have to play with that combination. The airbags may end up being removed with added ride height since it also creates too much strain on the coils and the upper mounts due to extension. Either that or I may fab some taller mounting brackets for the top mounts (easy to do).

If they do end up coming off, I will keep them for a time where I decide to drop the rear and run a smaller set of tires c/w drag shocks. They would work much better in that scenario and that's a very real possibility if I ever decide to take this down to the supercar reunion to play around at the track. Whatever route I end up choosing...it will all work itself out.
DW31S (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 11:42 PM

15x 8.5's? Looks great with N50's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post

This will be the ideal ride height for the back and should give me the look I am wanting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitetop For This Useful Post:
big gear head (12-27-2020), dykstra (12-30-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
15x 8.5's? Looks great with N50's.
Yes sir!

You're spot on at 8.5" and I love N50's on these cars given the right stance.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Yes sir!

You're spot on at 8.5" and I love N50's on these cars given the right stance.

N50's look perfect with 8.50 rim. The new Goodyear bias ply L60-15 are narrower than original and the sidewall bulges out with 8.50 rim.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:04 AM

Finally moved onto the glass and got started with things yesterday. After sorting out all the hardware and soaking some parts in evapo-rust, today I got the quarter glass finished up and got all of the door hardware and right side glass installed. Still need to make a few adjustments to the door glass tonight and then I can move onto the driver's side.

First I cleaned the old window channels and set them in place with a new sealant strip and latex weatherstrips.

Next, I stripped the old hardware from the glass and cleaned it all up to reinstall with the new side glass.

All of the run channels and regulators were cleaned and detailed months ago. This set is ready to install.

Quarter glass is now installed and adjusted nicely.

With the remaining hardware installed I was ready to set the right side door glass.

Door glass installed as well as the locking hardware and handles. Still need to make some adjustments on this side.
big gear head (12-29-2020), dykstra (12-30-2020), HawkX66 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 01:14 AM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

Looks great. I hate messing with window regulators.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:43 AM

Good progress. What brand is the new glass (looks like Pilkington)? Any issues with fit?
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:20 AM

It's the glass that Auto City Classics sells although I believe it's an offshore product. They have it in clear, green tint or grey tint and I've used it a couple of times now. Fit's nice and they can date code any way you require it. This order was all dated XV with LOF markings.
luv2sixty9 (12-31-2020), ZLP955 (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetop View Post
N50's look perfect with 8.50 rim. The new Goodyear bias ply L60-15 are narrower than original and the sidewall bulges out with 8.50 rim.
Sorry to hijack, but I'd assume the new ones are more comparable to a 255 than a 275?

We really need more L60 choices. All we've got are the Pro-Tracs, which are labelled with a metric size, the Goodyears, and I think M&H has one.

Honestly, I wish they'd re-release the Racing Profile in L60. N50s are sweet, I love them, but I think an L60 would look better on my specific Camaro personally, as it wouldn't be a drastic change in size from the 255/60/15, but a nice little increase.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!

Last edited by JRC99; 12-29-2020 at 03:24 AM.