Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old 07-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Next Years Power Tour Car

Every story has a beginning, a middle, and an end........I had hoped to start this build in the middle......Let me explain, LOL.......
After driving the 66 Nova on last years Power Tour, it became apparent that the Nova's trunk space and the "Princess's" idea of what is needed to travel for a week did not match.........so......we needed a larger trunk for future travel.......And.....after driving the street rod with the LS drivetrain, it became clear that we needed a big trunk and a LS engine to pull it around......
Finding the engine was the easy part, I ended up buying a low mile LS2 drivetrain out of a 2006 GTO (just like the 37 Ford)....."And"........I wanted to purchase the best survivor 66 Impala Convert I could find.......I basically wanted a car that would be a Rust Free original panel and paint car so I could do the drivetrain/ suspension thing and not mess with going thru the whole car frustration and expense thingy.....

So......The search began, after going thru a bunch of car sites I found a car that got my interest right away.....The car was located on Long Island New York and I contacted a member here to see if they could take a look at it for me........No problem I was told.....so ....I continued looking and found a couple more that were looked at by members here and took passes on them as they weren't what I was looking for........

As I said earlier, I wanted to start this build in the middle part of the story with a perfect car (or pretty close).........After a month of waiting on the member to look at the New York car, I kept thinking that was the car for me as the pictures and description seemed to be exactly what I wanted.........I called the owner and he assured me the car was "Perfect" as described......"NOW....This is not a Whiney Woe is me situation"......."I JUST WANT OTHERS NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID IN THE FUTURE" .......Again.......Do not "EVER" buy a car without someone looking at it..........

So.....here's where it starts.........Here's the ad and pic's

Looks good in the pic's and described as just what I am looking for............I called the owner and asked for a honest assessment as to the condition of the car and was assured it was about as perfect as they get..............I decided to roll the dice after missing out on another car the day before........Doesn't look too bad in the pic's and with the owners assurance about the condition......"I was Hooked"..............LOL.......The seller was upset with me because I didn't have it shipped in an enclosed trailer......In reality, I wire transferred the money on Friday afternoon, contracted with a transport company on Monday morning, the car was picked up Monday afternoon and delivered to my house (900miles) on Tuesday afternoon at 5pm........Everything is going so smooth I can't believe it.........LOL

Here is the car arriving............Look'in Good!!.....LOL

Uh Oh!!......Whats this..........

The Best things in life......Aren't Things
The Following User Says Thank You to kwhizz For This Useful Post:
Steve Shauger (08-12-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 45990.jpg 45988.jpg 31600.png 31199.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Next Years Power Tour Car

Humm!! The Excitement is going away fast..........

Seam missing in the 1/4 panel/trunk.......

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 AM

Old 07-25-2011, 12:29 AM

If there is anything that is good.......It seems the floor pans are in very good shape as they seemed to have been undercoated since day one.....

Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 AM

So.......It is what it is and I'm stuck with it.......So....Now that that's over with....I took it over to Puleras Collision Center in Kenosha (They painted the Biscayne and the 37 Ford Street Rod) and we have it scheduled to go in at the end of August to get everything corrected .....I'll get the car media blasted before going there so it will end up as nice as the Biscayne.......I ordered a Holley Oil pan for the LS swap, got a NOS right front fender, got a radio,.....so I'll get the LS drivetrain fit and installed before Body and Paint...Then we will order an Interior Kit, suspension kit, brake kit,A/C kit and wheels and tires .......Almost done.....LOL

Ken

Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

So sorry you got stuck with that. It sounds like you ran into the typical non-car guy who has a "classic" and has no clue what a "mint excellent condition" car should actually look like.

Reminds me how my Grandfather repaired the front valance on my Grandmother's 75 Firebird back in the late 1970's after she ran into some paint cans in the garage. He was the consumate do-it-yourselfer and darn proud of it. He filled the cracks in the front valance with PlasticWood, that stuff you fill nail holes in plywood with, and then painted the repair with semi-gloss, exterior latex paint. (probably out of one of the very cans my Grandmother ran over!) [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

God bless 'em. I do miss them both! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Ken,

I know my opinion wasn't requested, but having been thru a very similar situation 11 yrs ago (except that I <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">PAID</span></span> an alleged professional inspector to look at the car before I forked over the $$$ [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img] ) I can tell you your best bet is to cut your losses and peddle it <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">now</span></span>, before you get to 'the point of no return' [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/rolleyes.gif[/img]

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
Old 07-25-2011, 12:56 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwhizz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....&quot;NOW....This is not a Whiney Woe is me situation&quot;.......&quot;I JUST WANT OTHERS NOT TO MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID IN THE FUTURE&quot; .......Again.......<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #FF0000">Do not &quot;EVER&quot; buy a car without someone looking at it</span></span></span>..........
</div></div>
X eleventy-billion (emphasis added).

That said...go ahead and whine...I sure as hell did.

Sorry you got hosed on this deal Ken. That sucks.

BTW, get that back seat out and check for rust in the rear floors and convertible top well area. A family member had a `66 Imp droptop and it was gonzo under the seat, but the rest of the floors looked good.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,062 Times in 900 Posts

That just sucks Ken. I got boned in the very same manner a couple of years ago on a Corvette.
At least when you are done, you will know what you have and a great car with ROOOOOOMMMMM!
The very same reason I bought my 59. Let me know if there is anything I may be able to do for you. I've got a couple of friends that fool with those cars.

Tim
Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 AM

Now, Nothing to do but to Get-R-Done! This car will be as nice as the rest of your Fleet by next Summer!

We will all once again be eating a lot of pop corn over the winter! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/headbang.gif[/img]

Dan
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw