Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Where is 69 Yenko Camaro 124379N663539

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigsixman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stunning car! I have a question about the 2 red handles attached to your PPP shifter, I assume one is for your chute, how about the other?

Where did you purchase the handles from?

Thank you. </div></div>

Big Six Man,

Thanks, the pictures do not really do the car justice, it is really a pretty piece.

You would be correct, the one handle was for the parachute release and the other was for a remote battery (rear mounted) On-OFF switch. LOKAR makes it, kind of pricey, but you get the cable and all the brackets to make it work. I don't know how many times I have been at the track and seen guys running to the back of their car to turn the power on after they have been all belted in and ready to go. I also had a problem a couple times when running a dragster where I would come out of the water and the tires would go into tire shake and shut the battery switch off from the severe vibration. I also have one in the 70 Camaro and I use it all the time, it is just really convenient.

GM
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 AM

Theres nothing like a stocker, especially a 375 HP 402 Camaro! Very nice.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

Both amazing rides.. I honestly favor the 70 over the 69.. Any thoughts or plans with it and going up to SS or venturing out into maybe a 10.5 tire class? My dream was to have my old 69 as a 10.5 car with a model LS, 1XXmm turbo, glide on a brake. Also was looking into keeping it leaf with Cal-tracs split monos and sliders. I think the suspension would hold it with the new MT drag radials.. But unfortunately Ill probably never find out.. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2016, 01:30 PM

I am building a Caltracs car now. The sliders are very interesting but not stock legal. And those guys claim they ate inconsistent. My old Super stocker is cut with a new S&amp;W clip in it so I'm going to leave it alone, but would have rather put stock floors back in. My decision ended up being based on the fact the quarters are original and the first lip was cut off in the 70's for tire clearance. The Baldwin car looks like Wes McCracken last car. But I know it stayed here in PA. I saw the engine for sale on Classracer.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both amazing rides.. I honestly favor the 70 over the 69.. Any thoughts or plans with it and going up to SS or venturing out into maybe a 10.5 tire class? My dream was to have my old 69 as a 10.5 car with a model LS, 1XXmm turbo, glide on a brake. Also was looking into keeping it leaf with Cal-tracs split monos and sliders. I think the suspension would hold it with the new MT drag radials.. But unfortunately Ill probably never find out.. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/frown.gif[/img] </div></div>

Thanks,

As nice as the 69 is, the 70 is kind of special, at least in my opinion, cause there are not too many out there. I had thought about moving it up to Super Stock, but to be honest, it would take a whole pile of money, not only for all the car updates, but also the engine. Unfortunately, I have a filet steak appetite, with a hot dog style budget. I have just built a new aluminum headed 402 and the car can be light enough to run A/SA, so I guess, I could always move it to SS/EA or SS/FA just the way it sits, I just would not be competitive as far as running another in-class car, like a real Super Stocker since it would be a heads-up race.

It would appear that you have a really nice selection of cars to choose from and I have been amazed at how well the Cal-Tracs preform. I did get a chance to run the 70 with the new engine locally and it managed a 1.28 sixty on its second full pass and I would guess that there is more potential after a bunch more runs.

Good Luck on your project, if you decide to do it.

GM
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am building a Caltracs car now. The sliders are very interesting but not stock legal. And those guys claim they ate inconsistent. My old Super stocker is cut with a new S&amp;W clip in it so I'm going to leave it alone, but would have rather put stock floors back in. My decision ended up being based on the fact the quarters are original and the first lip was cut off in the 70's for tire clearance. The Baldwin car looks like Wes McCracken last car. But I know it stayed here in PA. I saw the engine for sale on Classracer. </div></div>

Good Luck on your build with the CalTracs, it is a really nice system to work with. That is what I have on the 70 now with the split monos and they work great. You will not be disappointed with that choice.

Actually, this is Wes McCracken's car that I bought off of him in 2012. I raced the car that year and then took it apart and re-did it over the next couple of years. I got an offer for some chassis work for an older Corvette I had that I took in on trade for my last dragster, so I took the 70 all apart and had a full cage put in and then re-wired it and re-plumbed it. The only thing I did not touch was the engine (until this year) and the car ended up running a 10.37 in 2015, which I thought was really good. I will post a picture of the car when I bought it from Wes. I will also post some pictures of it as it looks now, underhood, interior, and trunk area.

Thanks,
GM

The Following User Says Thank You to GM_427_Racer For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (04-03-2021)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,490 Times in 610 Posts

That thing is straight boogyin' out of the hole at 1.28. Imagine if itll get low 20's or even teens.. Was that off the foot brake?
Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 PM

Gary, what length cables do you use for the chute and battery shut off? I checked with Lokar and they show a 8' cable for the shut off. The 8' seems like it may be a little short. The chute cable would need to be longer.

I am doing essentially the same thing with my 67 Camaro and it will may save me some headaches if you know the lengths. I just ordered my PPP shifter today and I am at that point with my build.

Thank you.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 PM

I grew up watching Wes run the Chevy II. I had 2 66 back half cars because of Wes. One a 505 bbc, and one a 355 sbc. I knew that car was for sale. Sweitzer's Firebird is for sale also. We used to run an IHRA pro am race. Wes set a national record, I think 10.72. That would have been 2003 or 2004. I worked at Beaver Springs fir 16 years. Last year I bought Joe Scott's first Super Stocker. Going to restore it close to how he had it. I made several trips to see him and get the title. Also know Billy Nees. He and I can talk Camaros all day.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cook_dw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is straight boogyin' out of the hole at 1.28. Imagine if itll get low 20's or even teens.. Was that off the foot brake? </div></div>

All NHRA Stockers have to use the foot brake, there are no trans brakes allowed in Stock. The one thing they do allow is a two step off of the brake pedal, but that is it. One of the other things I changed with this car was the rear brakes. When I bought it, it had regular drum brakes on the back and I realized very quickly that the car was hard to hold on the starting line, with conventional drum brakes, so I put dual caliper disc brakes on both sides of the axle housing and now I can hold it on the starting line with minimal brake pressure. This next year should be interesting as to how fast the car will go, time will tell.

GM