Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Yenko brand reborn?

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't have a dog in the fight than leave it alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

HUH?? So no opinions should be put forth ? only maybe yours? So far everyones been cordial and OK with opinions on many subjects here and I hope we can continue down that path and talk about all the cars we loved from yesteryear and respect all the opinions even yours. Judging from a PM I received there are more then a few who don't like the idea of Yenko on a 2010 car.To each his own, right Kim. If your jonesing for one buy it if not don't buy it but by all means talk about it
Old 10-24-2009, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Originally posted by: 1970Bluel78

HUH?? So no opinions should be put forth ? only maybe yours? So far everyones been cordial and OK with opinions on many subjects here and I hope we can continue down that path and talk about all the cars we loved from yesteryear and respect all the opinions even yours. Judging from a PM I received there are more then a few who don't like the idea of Yenko on a 2010 car.To each his own, right Kim. If your jonesing for one buy it if not don't buy it but by all means talk about it

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL...you could say the exact same thing if the subject of the thread had been titled "Tom Clary gives away $100 bills", because there's a certain number of folks that would be p!ssed they weren't $1,000 bills, and that dad was behind it!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Well..I read this thread and had a few thoughts....

I actually tried to buy the #34 02 ZL-1, but it I wanted it fathom Green like my original car, but it was already too late when I found out about them being made...I think the tribute cars are really cool..but they are what they are...

Based on this thread, I am a bit confused. I'm curious exaactly how involved the Yenko family is with these cars. Obviously not in the same way as Joel or Carroll with thier respective "tribute" cars. But have the family members actually verbally or better yet contractually backed these cars in any way. Or is anyone from the family been contracted or is getting paid in anyway from these cars.
I really like the idea, but as the builder and as a potential buyer, I would be concerned about this other entity that may or may not have some kind of "legal" rights to this name. I'm surprised they have not already contacted you about building these cars.Unfortunately, I cannot believe they are not going to want a cut...$$$.Are you worried about a possible costly legal battle...and/or court order that may cause problems with you continuing the build? Or worse yet if you sell some cars and then they want some part of the gains which were already made.
It is a shame the yenko family does not have the legal rights to their own name without a costly legal battle.

..and I hope all opinions are allowed here as long as they are in a respectful manner....

God Bless America !!

Thanks, max
Old 10-24-2009, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting how much different the new yenko stripes look vs what hennesy has done on their camaros (they look same).

I feel if the new 'yenkos' do not involve GM and some form of copo aspect, its not true to form. To me, anyone can make a new yenko, but if you got GM to do something special, its a real step in the right direction of re-inventing images of some of these super cars of the past. I have a friend that has one of those 2002 camaro berger cars, and I like the way GM put their finger print into that effort, and thus should be the example how these new 'yenkos' should follow. GM should still have an idea of what Yenko was all about too, they seemed to get the berger thing.

my 2 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually take the time to compare stripe packages, I think you will see they are different.

What did GM do to make the Berger 2002 cars special? I thought an outside source modified them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom, I respectfully think they look similar. I have only seen your yellow car and the list of pictures in the link below to reference. Seems like hennessy has not made up their mind. I did not know the 2010 yenko version was done.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...;cart=JzWxfdTE

I also believe the 2002 ZL1 berger cars had to have some police chassis reinforcement option as part of those 69 cars (per what one owner told me this evening, and he thought that was an issue getting out the door). GM did have atleast one fingerprint in that car going out towards being a supercar.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 AM

Lots of cars left GM with the "special police package".
Old 10-24-2009, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tom, I respectfully think they look similar. I have only seen your yellow car and the list of pictures in the link below to reference. Seems like hennessy has not made up their mind. I did not know the 2010 yenko version was done.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...;cart=JzWxfdTE

[/ QUOTE ]
The stripes that Hennessey has actually applied on the cars so far that I've seen is identical to the original '69 era Yenko stripe, with the Hennessey/SC verbage substituted...the renderings with the other stripe package look nearly identical to the old Harrell stripe. Anyway, the stripes on our '10 follow and flow with the body lines a lot better than the original stripe set did, not only on the sides, the but hood setup was tweaked as well...'69 influence, with '10 updates.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Geoff, You stated how you felt,not only once but three times. I think you made your point. We get it. The first time was good enough.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM

The Yenko family is well aware of what is going on in regards to the Yenko name. For the past several years they have come to rely on me to keep them updated on what is going on in the world in regards to Yenko. I exchange emails with them on a regular basis, and on occasion, visit with them by telephone. Recently our visits have been on a more personal note, the passing of Donna Mae Mims.

When the sYc first considered doing a new Camaro, which was 2-3 years ago, when it became apparent GM was going to release a new Camaro, they were the first to hear of the project, the first to voice their opinions. Had they not approved of the project, we would not be having this discussion.

The oldest daughter Lynn has really taken an interest in the project, to the point of expressing an interest in owing one. Lynn is not stranger to high performance cars, as she spent her teenage years working at the dealership, even applying stripes to a few cars. If that were not cool enough, she often times went to the races with her dad. Lynn has attended a couple of SCRs as well as Chevy Vettefest. If she can work it into her busy schedule, she will make a guest appearance in the sYc display area at the upcoming MCACN show.

I have stated on many occasions that I feel the Yenko family is entitled to compensation for the use of the Yenko name, which the family is well aware of. This includes any new Camaro project. For the past 12 years I feel the sYc has treated the Yenko family fairly in regards to the use of the Yenko name, and will continue to do so in the future.

Regarding any legal actions, IMO it would better serve all interested parties to work together, but that is up to GMCI and their representatives. Though they do have the Yenko name well registered, thus have some legal rights, I feel the Yenko family has legal rights as well, and as along as the sYc has the Yenko family's support, we will continue doing business as usual.

For those who might be interested in having a 2010 Camaro built in the style of Yenko cars of the past, as I am having done, we can legally do it.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the people who don't want a new Yenko, it's simple don't buy one. The Yenko family is behind the project that Tom and his group are doing. That is validation enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there was a real yenko from Don being offered, I would think many would buy them, but that can never happen. If you are " validated " from this endevor By all meands buy the car and enjoy same

[/ QUOTE ]

What muscle car/s do you own now. Have you ever owned a 67, 68,69, 70, or 80 Yenko.
This car is a tribute to Don period, and that is what this site and members are all about. The SYC people behind this project have the passion, desire and knowledge to produce a fantastic car. To condemn this project is way out of line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Steve,
Well Said. I agree 100%
Sam
Old 10-24-2009, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Yenko family is well aware of what is going on in regards to the Yenko name. For the past several years they have come to rely on me to keep them updated on what is going on in the world in regards to Yenko. I exchange emails with them on a regular basis, and on occasion, visit with them by telephone. Recently our visits have been on a more personal note, the passing of Donna Mae Mims.

When the sYc first considered doing a new Camaro, which was 2-3 years ago, when it became apparent GM was going to release a new Camaro, they were the first to hear of the project, the first to voice their opinions. Had they not approved of the project, we would not be having this discussion.

The oldest daughter Lynn has really taken an interest in the project, to the point of expressing an interest in owing one. Lynn is not stranger to high performance cars, as she spent her teenage years working at the dealership, even applying stripes to a few cars. If that were not cool enough, she often times went to the races with her dad. Lynn has attended a couple of SCRs as well as Chevy Vettefest. If she can work it into her busy schedule, she will make a guest appearance in the sYc display area at the upcoming MCACN show.

I have stated on many occasions that I feel the Yenko family is entitled to compensation for the use of the Yenko name, which the family is well aware of. This includes any new Camaro project. For the past 12 years I feel the sYc has treated the Yenko family fairly in regards to the use of the Yenko name, and will continue to do so in the future.

Regarding any legal actions, IMO it would better serve all interested parties to work together, but that is up to GMCI and their representatives. Though they do have the Yenko name well registered, thus have some legal rights, I feel the Yenko family has legal rights as well, and as along as the sYc has the Yenko family's support, we will continue doing business as usual.

For those who might be interested in having a 2010 Camaro built in the style of Yenko cars of the past, as I am having done, we can legally do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Tom,
I think you guys are doing a tremendous job in keeping the Yenko Name and Legend alive. I for one am glad you put the time and effort to go ahead with this endeavor.
Thanks and keep up the great work!
Sam