Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 PM

Default 1966 Trim Code question

Trim code on the 1966 Mustang Coupe shows D7. When I decoded it it came back saying: Trim: D7 Parchment Crinkle and Rosette Vinyl with Aqua, Standard Interior

Can someone explain this combination please?

The interior in its current state shows: Parchment (tan) metal doors, tan rear bench, tan rear trim next to the bench below the windows, tan steering wheel and steering wheel coloum, tan metal dash where the gauges are, tan seat belts, tan headliner, tan kick plates. The Blue color is on the front bench seats, on the dash pad, the door panels, the carpet.

It all needs replaced (restoration) but I want to be sure this is actualy how it came from the factory. The rear bench is confusing me as the the buckets are the two tone standard blue color and the bench is currently tan.

So, who can help me correctly explain this D7 configuation?

Thanks!

Greg
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,065 Times in 522 Posts
Default Re: 1966 Trim Code question

Pretty sure the with the standard interior that the only non-parchment colored pieces are the dash and carpeting (i.e. the things that default to black on a straight parchment interior). Pony interior had more neat things like two tone seat covers, but there was no deluxe/&quot;Pony&quot; interior option for the bench seat cars.

TOM
Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 AM

Wish I could confirm that with pictures on a correctly restored '66 Coupe with the D7 Trim package.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 AM

Tom, I think you are correct. I have been surfing the net trying to find an example of it with no luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:25 AM

It is hard to find a definitive answer to this question. My old copy of &quot;How To Restore Your Mustang-By the editors of Mustang Monthly Magazine&quot; published in the 80s has a color scheme paint chart that shows the following for D7:
=========================================
Group 1 (Parchment #5779) Standard Interior-instrument panel, steering column, steering wheel, kick panels, windshield post, sun visors, metal door surfaces, quarter trim panels, console, 2+2 overhead moulding, Rally Pac.

Group 2 (Med Aqua Irid #5751) Standard interior-crash pad, radio speaker grille, lower windshield moulding, door panel, arm rest pad.

*Seat belts and carpeting are color keyed to Group 2 appointments.
=====================================

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Parchment seat belts were substituted when aqua was not available or in short supply.

Good luck,
TOM

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Tom,

So, the dash pad, radio speaker grille, lower windshield moulding (what is this), door panels, and arm rest pad are Aqua? What is Rosette Vinyl with Aqua per D7 then?

Are the seats Parchment Crinkle or Rosette Vinyl with Aqua?

Here is a link I found on pictures of various '66 interiors however D7 link does not show (figures).

http://www.early-mustang.com/modules...=21&amp;page=2

I am going to redo the interior and would hate to make a mistake.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:34 PM

Lower windshield moulding is that strip of trim between the dash housing and the windshield. IIRC, its about an inch wide and unbolts with phillips head screws. So that piece of trim and the speaker grille will be painted to match the dash pad.

Though there were some funky cloth insert standard seats in '65, I don't think there were any like that in '66. So your bench seat car should have had the all parchment (with different textured inserts like all '66s). Here's a company that has the seat covers.

http://www.restoremustangs.com/Bench-Ful...;search_group=0

If your original bench is gone and you want to go back, it may be possible to make one. They really were pretty much two buckets bridged together.

Though I'm a purist at heart, if your bench seat is gone I would be inclined to restore it with buckets and add a console. I really like consoles in those cars to dress up the interior a little.

Good luck.
TOM