Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-31-2021, 10:10 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Is your name Leon?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:31 AM

This super old tread brought back some good memories. Coop Andres said he called Joe Spino in Jersey City to ask about Brahms Chevrolet. I knew Joe very well and had a lot of good times hanging out at the Neighborhood Garage. Joe was a super nice guy and was a real character. He passed on in 2014, but the good memories will last forever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neil E For This Useful Post:
RobR (11-02-2021)
Old 11-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Default Brahms

Looks like they closed the doors end of Aug 81’. Bunch of ads from early 60’s through 80’

Paul
Attached Images

dtook (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 03:26 PM

Default Brahms Chevrolet

My name is David . I started working at Brahms Chevrolet in 1971 and left as parts manager in 1995 . Ownership issues and the changing landscape led to it being shuttered . Samual Brahms would not have been pleased with the end result. To this day I care for relationships with former customers who are successful builders in the hot rod / Corvette restoration world. Thank you to the person who put up the Brahms closeout ad. Memory lane indeed .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dtook For This Useful Post:
bdk1976 (11-03-2021), Carleen (11-04-2021), PeteLeathersac (11-03-2021)
Old 11-03-2021, 06:15 PM

Its my Camaro and its Brooklyn Hevys Brooklyn Wild Pumpkin.
My understand is that Heavy bought a 430 Can Am engine at Brahms Chevy.
It was never Sponsored by Brahms.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2021, 06:18 PM

a
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2021, 07:06 PM

Its a COPO 9561 (possibly also a COPO 9511) RS Baldwin Motion SS427 Phase III
VIN 124379N580532
X22 M22

Last edited by Carleen; 11-03-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:02 PM

David. I talked to a guy named Tom Lyon that worked at Brahms Chevrolet.

Robert Parnicky who was the manager for the parts department. He was instrumental in the dealership getting into hot rod parts. When I started there he was getting rid of all the high performance parts. After 1970, auto emission requirements and auto insurance pretty much killed the era. He use to carry L88 motors, L88 short blocks and aluminum heads.All big stuff. I remember one customer who raced speed boats, he own a steel fabrication company that manufactured storage vessels for oil, ect. He would get two 454 LS7's at a time. I recall the cost for both was about $5400 US.

The building is long gone, it was torn down in the 80's and now a strip of Korean stores. Robert Parnicky died around 1979 from a heart attack.
There was a mechanic who worked there who was big into racing in the 50's and 60's by the name of John Kelch. I just remembered another guy who worked there for a while. He had a 68 Z28 and a 58 Apache panel truck. It had flames painted on it and a 425 HP 409 along with a Muncie 4 speed. I forgot his name but I know where he use to live and I think he still lives there. He started at the dealership in the late 70's.

James Wallick, the CEO of the auto group that bought Brahms was a long time after. I would say late 70's. The owner of Brahms was Mr Brahms. I forget his first name. He had a partner named Ray Moriarty. They also ran an export division in NY called Brahmo. They exported a lot of cars and parts to the middle east. Mr Brahms was pretty old when I started working there. He sold the dealership, I forget the name and I think the group bought it from them. Mr Brahms died around that time.

The COPO office in Englewood was close by and was basically a stocking warehouse for all of GM. I was there many times picking up parts. GM also had a warehouse in Bloomfield, NJ that stocked more drive train parts. That's where L88's would have been stocked along with LS7's.I was there many times as well. Any machine work or modifications would probably been done in Patterson, NJ. Patterson was a big silk manufacturing town as well as a big industrial town that supplied a lot of material for the war effort. It was and I think still is has a lot of engine shops. I use to go to these shops supplying them with parts. J&J engine balancers, Dick Simonac and Papa Huff come to mind.

The Englewood warehouse is now a shopping and housing complex. Funny, I work in Englewood for the board of education
Old 11-30-2021, 01:36 PM

Hello Carleen , Most everything is accurate . Robert Parnicky was my boss until his unexpected death . He indeed deserves credit for convincing ownership to invest heavy in high performance inventory . At that point I took over as parts manager . Mr Brahms first name was Samual . The race boat builders business name was Elizabeth Fabrication and they bought a ton of big block hardware . The owners prior to Wallick ( Apple Chevrolet )and after Brahms were Albrizio ( Albrizio Chevrolet ) Yes , long tall John Kelch was a master mechanic . I went above and beyond the call many times to get him his parts . Gasoline Alley ( Paterson NJ ) as it was known
home to J & J , Huff , Simonak were some of the best engine builders and machine services around . Before the building was torn down , I purchased the vertical double sided porcelain neon Chevrolet sign that then went to Bob Caruso a long time customer and former owner of Corvette Country of Alpine NJ and current owner of Billy Bobs Fast Expensive Cars in Jackson Township NJ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtook For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (11-30-2021), Carleen (11-30-2021)
Old 11-30-2021, 08:20 PM

I know bob caruso very well,as well as his partner bob russo. Great guys.I bought my 67 maroon/ tan 427 Conv. Vette from bob. He still has his 66 coupe behind his shop. He put a ls7 in it and almost lost his life when he lost control under high speed. He talked to Zora about the crash and he told him the cars were not able to handle 600 hp. It’s quite a sight to see the car’s destruction and see bob still with us.