Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default IBM punch card (interior trim)

I realize it is not unusual to find multiple buildsheets, but I found a second trim card in the springs of the back seat which was wrapped around the seat frame in my 06A Baltimore '69 Chevelle. This trim card belongs to this Chevelle because the unique body number matches the body number on the trim tag. But there are a couple differences between this punch card and the previous one. 1. The first punch card in 4th column from the left, titled "c", has the number "4" entered. My newly discovered card has a "1". The first punch card has "A52" and "B55" entered under the 5th column titled "OPTIONS" and the other card has no entries. The last 3 columns of the newly discovered card are unviewable as they are integrally wrapped around the frame work and I intend to leave the card in the car. Top picture is my 1st ibm card and below is my newly discovered one.

* Any insight as to meaning of column "c"?
* Any thots on why options are not included on the second card?
* I realize these IBM cards are not the mother load, but anyone else find multiple ones?

Thanks!

Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: IBM punch card (interior trim)

Sam,

Here is the link from a prior thread about the Black 69 SS 300 Deluxe Post Sedan.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/show...2/fpart/1/vc/1

As you can see I too have yet to determine what 0354? is on that particular IBM interior data card.

Here is what I do know about your IBM card....remember your car has a unique interior package for a 1969 Chevelle.

Your car is a 1969 300 Deluxe 2 door coupe....#13437.

Therefore is has a complete deluxe interior package....different than the Nomad Wagon, Greenbiar Wagon, Concours Wagon or 4 door Sedan, El Camino and Malibu.

Hence the first photo of your trim tag...that came out of the front seat with the codes A52 and B55....this tells me that is was for a "Front Bench Seat" with "Front Deluxe Seat".

Why the differnce between the 1 and the 4...I have no concrete answer....other than my guess is something to do with "Front Seat" vs. "Rear Seat".

I have also seen these punch cards with and without columns...perhaps they differed from plant to plant.

Sam...I believe your car was built in Baltimore? The Black 300 Deluxe Post Sedan was a Kansas built car.

Dan.
70 Buick Skylark Post Sedan Burnished Saddle

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3DE8qI2NY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn4xEmGypUw
Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 PM

Dan - this is not from my 300 but another Baltimore Malibu Chevelle. Both of these trim cards match up to the trim tag of this car, i.e. note the body no. in second column of each ibm card, they match the trim tag.

Now u can't blame that on a blurry picture - can u?!

Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 AM

Anyone have any thots on this.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

I think your two punch cards were printed at different intervals along the assembly process of your Malibu,or distrubuted to the trim shop at different intervals during seat assembly.
Can you carefully remove that one from the rear seat spring and mate it up against the earlier one while holding it up to a light source?..i.e punch holes?
There may be some time code reference on it that you can't see right now that might explain their differences.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:21 AM

Interesting idea Rick. I did count/locate punch holes and the 2 cards looked the same to me as far as placement and numbers of holes. Of course I could not see the last 1/4 of the card. Have you heard that they made multiple trim cards for cars? Perhaps each with a bit more information? Would the "c" column possibly be an indication of the sequence of the cards? I have replaced the seat, so will have to look into removing card a bit later.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM

My 69 SS Baltimore car has two of these. Only one of which is out of the car. The other is tucked up in the springs of the passenger bucket seat and is pristine, so I don't want to disturb it. Both cards have trim numbers according to what is in the car and match the "Body Style" number.

I wish someone had some definitive info regarding these cards. All the cards I have seen in the past don't unlock any serious mysteries about the cars.

Back when I was going to school, we used these cards for computer programming class. I'd say that unless you knew what computers and software GM was using at the time, only the inked information will be of benefit.

I have yet to find a 69 Baltimore Chevelle with an actual 8 1/2 X 11 build sheet. Plenty of computer cards though.

Phil Woj.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:46 PM

Hey Woj,

Good info. Do yr 2 cards have matching Body Numbers that match yr trim tag? Did not know that '69 Baltiimore SS Chevelles were not likely to have Build Sheets. I don't have one either. Must have been a local practice to NOT put a BS in the car.

<font color="blue"> Anyone have a '69 Chevelle SS with a Build Sheet? </font>

In Postsedan's link above I find it interesting that some trim cards had drivetrain info (i.e. "M21") but no engine info.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM

I have a buildsheet from a Baltimore built 69 Malibu Convert. It's a 350 CI car, not an SS.
I'll check to see if there is a matching IBM card. The car is not mine, so I have to see what the owner has.

Don't text and drive.
Somebody's life may depend on it!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,139 Posts

I have some 1969 Super Sport Chevelles buidsheets built at Baltimore,Framingham &amp; Fremont plants sumbitted in the registry.
I also have a few 69 COPO Chevelle,(Baltimore),buildsheets as well.
Needless to say,they are scarce for these vehicles.