Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-08-2020, 02:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Georgia Interstate Scam

At first I thought it was another case of dumb state trooper, of which there are many, many.
But this is a scam, a racket for the county. If this were my daughter I'd have been out for blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Zu...Ah5bzMpPBjqZ4g
Old 02-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Oh yea! Here is my all time favorite. Watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1DCda5Cabo
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
Tracker1 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 03:40 PM

I might sympathize with the cop on the second one. How often would you come across a Lambo from Dubai with paperwork no one has ever seen. He did let him go too
Old 02-08-2020, 11:33 PM

Does anyone have the Law Enforcement side of the story on this Canadian girl??

Just curious..

Rich
Old 02-09-2020, 02:40 AM

Seems like in the Lamborghini stop the cop had the attitude guilty until proven innocent.

In Michigan, if you have an antique plate on your car that is the year of the car, if you get stopped you will likely end up with an issue with the cop. Reason being is, year of the car antique plates are not listed in DMV records.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:21 PM

We have Canadian sun bunnies driving down here in Arizona all the time. I've never heard a case where that is a problem. Pretty normal to see that around here.

As far as the antique plates and using the model year plate on a car, I used to do that for years on our classics when I lived in Ohio. You carried an affidavit in the car along with the original antique plates.

Even with that, I was pulled over maybe 3-4 times over a period of about 20 years. Always by a state trooper, never by any county police. The state troopers would always question the model year plates on the car, as you would expect them to since they don't even use an expiration sticker of any kind. Once I would show them the affidavit and the real plates that were kept in the trunk of the car, all was good. The state troopers simply weren't aware that Ohio allowed the use of model year plates on a classic car when registered with antique plates. It was never a big deal and they were all very polite.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 PM

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern B View Post
Seems like in the Lamborghini stop the cop had the attitude guilty until proven innocent.

In Michigan, if you have an antique plate on your car that is the year of the car, if you get stopped you will likely end up with an issue with the cop. Reason being is, year of the car antique plates are not listed in DMV records.
They are in the electronic database for 10 years.

They time out and drop off after that, which is when you provide the officer the "blue slip" from the Secretary of State describing how the system works.

No one has said anything about it yet but it seems to me that we are in the same situation with trailer plates and any other non-expiring registrations.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
Old 02-09-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
They are in the electronic database for 10 years.

They time out and drop off after that, which is when you provide the officer the "blue slip" from the Secretary of State describing how the system works.

No one has said anything about it yet but it seems to me that we are in the same situation with trailer plates and any other non-expiring registrations.

K
No, not from what I understand Keith, at least for the year of auto antique plate. If you notice, when you apply for a year of auto plate, the application goes to a private contractor hired by the State of Michigan DMV. They maintain those records and they are not comingled with the rest of the DMV records.

If you get stopped by a LEO and he does a check on your plate, it won't show up as a valid licensed auto. I've been stopped twice for a supposed invalid plate, even though I had a valid and current registration, but it didn't show up in DMV records. This was on a car that I had just licensed the year before.

The only way they could verify it was to contact the outside contractor.

Screwy system, but it is what it is. I'm not sure if the same thing holds for the regular antique plate, but it is the situation for the year of car plates.

Last edited by Vern B; 02-09-2020 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:50 AM

I actually still have the Ohio Antique plate on the nomad that I registered it with back in about 1984-5 or so?? One time registration fee for $13 at that time, and no stickers on the plate. I daily drove that car for years like that and never got pulled over in that one. Only got pulled over in the cars that I had the model year plates on them, I would imagine because they stand out a bit.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
I actually still have the Ohio Antique plate on the nomad that I registered it with back in about 1984-5 or so?? One time registration fee for $13 at that time, and no stickers on the plate. I daily drove that car for years like that and never got pulled over in that one. Only got pulled over in the cars that I had the model year plates on them, I would imagine because they stand out a bit.

I've got 60's plates on some of my older cars that stand out also and obvious what they are. My issue is I have one on an 87 El Camino and that plate was used for many years with just a tab add on every year to make it legal. When you look at it you sort of think of it being more recent and maybe someone would cheat and try to use it on a car. That's obviously what the LEO's thought because I got stopped twice for doing nothing just because of the plate.

I have since switched to a regular plate because I'm using the car as a daily driver in the summer.