Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 07-12-2018, 10:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCHEV396 View Post
I have my garage just hooked up to my house security system.Easy peasy and 12% reduction on premiums!
What brand is your house system? Is your garage detached?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
As I recall Bentley, you have a vicious dog or 2 residing at your place that should have you covered just fine!! ;>)
Security?
Attached Images

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
mockingbird812 (07-13-2018), X66 714 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:14 AM

Thanked 2,110 Times in 546 Posts

I have a SimpliSafe system on my garage. It works fine, the only negative is that the door/window sensors are battery powered. Dead battery = no alarm if a door opens. The door sensor does beep every time you open the door (when system is disarmed) so you know the battery is still good.The base unit is 110v, so no issues there.
Bentley, I don't recall your 4 legged security system being very effective
The Following User Says Thank You to R68GTO For This Useful Post:
big gear head (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:31 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I own an alarm company and have been in the security industry for 34 years. If you want some advice feel free to call me. You can also visit this site for some good tips on choosing a security company. This is my new company I am just getting ready to launch across Canada.

www.unionalarm.com

You can reach me through the number posted on the website.
big gear head (07-13-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:51 PM

A few suggestions on a new shop:

Pre-wire the shop and if running power from the house where you're trenching to the new shop, bury a separate conduit or direct burial date cable to tie in the comms and internet from the house to the new shop if it doesn't have stand along power and telco points for comms and internet. This will allow you to tie the shop security into the main house and have it controlled as a separate partition.

Cable the shop with a head end location and 110V power allocated for an alarm panel. From that point, run 22/4 quad cabling to all alarm points such as the keypad, headers of the man doors and the overhead doors for alarm contacts to be installed. Add a few corner points for motion detectors and be sure to run a group of wires up to the ceiling for smoke detectors, C/O and glass breaks if you have windows. Run a 18/2 wire up into the attic for a 30 watt siren so everyone hears it. A date cable can then be ran from the alarm panel to connect to your telco block and monitored through conventional paths, or through a GSM Cellular path.

While you're at it, run some Cat5 cabling for cameras and home run them back to a head end location where you may want to add a digital recorder, monitor and keyboard. Have network ports located at all head end locations as the push today is to monitor alarms and camera systems through IP transmission if available. Map it all out and really think about what you want before you start boarding or finishing off the walls. Too many people think of security after everything is already built and that makes it difficult to do right.

Call me if you have questions or need a source for products in your area. I'll hook you up.
big gear head (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
A few suggestions on a new shop:

Pre-wire the shop and if running power from the house where you're trenching to the new shop, bury a separate conduit or direct burial date cable to tie in the comms and internet from the house to the new shop if it doesn't have stand along power and telco points for comms and internet. This will allow you to tie the shop security into the main house and have it controlled as a separate partition.

Cable the shop with a head end location and 110V power allocated for an alarm panel. From that point, run 22/4 quad cabling to all alarm points such as the keypad, headers of the man doors and the overhead doors for alarm contacts to be installed. Add a few corner points for motion detectors and be sure to run a group of wires up to the ceiling for smoke detectors, C/O and glass breaks if you have windows. Run a 18/2 wire up into the attic for a 30 watt siren so everyone hears it. A date cable can then be ran from the alarm panel to connect to your telco block and monitored through conventional paths, or through a GSM Cellular path.

While you're at it, run some Cat5 cabling for cameras and home run them back to a head end location where you may want to add a digital recorder, monitor and keyboard. Have network ports located at all head end locations as the push today is to monitor alarms and camera systems through IP transmission if available. Map it all out and really think about what you want before you start boarding or finishing off the walls. Too many people think of security after everything is already built and that makes it difficult to do right.

Call me if you have questions or need a source for products in your area. I'll hook you up.
Awesome info. Thank you in process of trenching, very timely!
Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

Cool...

Most guys overlook a second conduit just for data, or the addition on an 8 pair buried cable for phones and internet. I normally suggest the buried cable and a 3/4 PVC pipe added for any other low voltage cabling needed as technology changes.

You cannot run data through a conduit next to 110/220 electrical. A mistake that some people make. Glad you are ahead of the trenching because it's easy and cheap to add now.
Crush (07-15-2018)