Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 PM

Default the next Supercar??

I am new to the hobby. Actually, I haven't even bought my first muscle car yet. I am working on a 1966 Coronet 400. It has a 440 (NOM) and a 727 Torqueflite. My dad gave it to me and I have worked for 3 years to get it back to streetable condition. With his blessing, I am selling the car to finance my first Bowtie muscle car.

I have the car sold for $18,500, to be delivered next week. I don't have a small fortune to spend on a Yenko or Baldwin or any other hero car. I love 1st gen z/28's but I can't afford those either. So my question is, what is the next Supercar going to be in your opinion?

Since I can't afford the cars so hallowed on these pages, what would be my best buy for under $20,000. I'm afraid even the 1LE cars are out of my price range these days. Do you all think the SLP cars are worthwhile investments? I'm talking about the Firehawks and fourth gen ZL-1 cars?

Don't think I'm one of these jerks who are only interested in the money they can make. I love these cars. My work truck is an 86 Chevrolet 1/2 ton with a 327/350HP from a 68 Vette.

However, there is no reason to be impractical. If I can enjoy a V-8 powered Detroit monster and make a healthy profit when I decide to sell it, then all the better.

So what's the next Supercar registry going to be devoted to?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: the next Supercar??

I am no fortune teller but, I see the Fox body Mustangs; particularly the coupes as the modern day Camaro. They were plentiful, inexpensive and easy to work on. I also think the 4th Gen F-bodies are worth watching as are the Buick GN's. Those would be my picks for cars that might increase in value; but what do I know?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM

I think you are dead right on the Grand Nationals. I've watched their prices rise over the last 2 years.

Something else I have considered is pocketing my cash until they start taking orders for the new Camaro. Has anyone heard anything about engine option and trim packages?

I know GM will offer race prepped Camaros for competition, how would you order one?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:24 PM

Regarding domestics, the Fox-body Mustang and the GN/T-Type. My opinion is the 1986 Mustang-- MPFI, 8.8 axle, and pre-1987 Tempo headlights. For the GN, obviously the 1987, because it's intercooled.

For both platform, all parts interchange, so you don't have to be married to the most desirable year. It's really a grab-bag for either car, and you can have more fun than kicking a beehive with either for under $10K total.

I'd stay away from 3rd Gen F-bodies mainly because of the rear end and weight. And then there's the 4th gen, which look like landed catfish (yuck...). If you don't care about the looks, bargains are all over the place for worn-out pre-96 Z28's.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:07 PM

What's a 'bargain' pre '96 Z in $'s?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 PM

Thanked 2,027 Times in 513 Posts

I really like the Fox 5.0's, but IMO the '86 is the weakest purchase. They have really crappy heads and pistons with no valve reliefs to deal with better heads or any hidden mods to cam or rockers. I think really nice '85 GT/5sp cars are good (Last of the Holley 4bbl cars, but remember 5sp ONLY, autos got crappy CFI injection) Also really nice LX 5.0/5sp models. Stripped '87/'88 Coupes and loaded '91-93 hatches are the cream of the crop, IMO. 1993 Cobra models are the peak of that model, with good brakes, GT40 heads and intake, etc. They will always have value, and are already appreciating. '86/'87 Grand Nationals are great, and I think they will usually have broader appeal than the Turbo T's and T-types, even though they're more common. Less sure for collectibility but a whole lotta fun are the GMC Syclones. I'm not a big late model Camaro fan, but even I really like the last few years of Camaro SS models, no T-tops in either Red or Black with the 6sp. For any of these, buy the nicest unmolested car you can find, preferably with low miles. But I wouldn't discount a well maintained car with higher miles from a fussy owner.

I don't think any new car purchase should be made if you're at all concerned about investment. You'll be waiting a while for the value to come back up to what you paid, and for most cars, that day never comes....
Old 03-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,142 Posts

Of course certain drivetrain and most open top versions are out of sight, but I can't help but still see a lot of Pontiacs as a solid investment...especially considering the available PHS documents!.

Good luck in whatever you choose, but the best advice is always pick what you personally like and can enjoy regardless of how well the appreciation factor looks or works out!.

Any shots of the Coronet you can share?.

~ Pete

Old 03-01-2007, 10:52 PM

IMHO, not a SUPERCAR, but a Super car........
If you've got 18.5k to play with, try and squeeze (ie Beg Dad) a few thousand more (around 25k) out and buy a 1970 Z28. For 25$ you should be able to buy a nice #match driveable project, or for 13-15k, a non drivable project.

The 1970 Z's are one of the fastest appreciating GM musclecars around, and with a stock 360hp, one of the best performing stock small blocks around. In fact, this is the same motor that the Yenko Deuce came with in 1970!

Make sure it is the correct and born with 350 LT1 motor, and drivetrain, and restore one of these guys with Dad.

FWIW, my .02

Rich
Old 03-02-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's a 'bargain' pre '96 Z in $'s?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen cars that need work and have gotten to the point where they've been abused in the $3 - 4K range. I'm assuming you'd call that a bargain...?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:27 AM

Tom,

With all due respect, you don't know your Mustangs very well. The '86 head is a myth; everyone knows that any stock Ford head needs to be replaced to take advantage of a cam swap, so you're swapping heads on any 85 - 93 FI car to begin with if you're opening it up for internal mods. The '86 responds to bolt-ons just like the rest of them, and the speed density computers in the '86 are more aggressively tuned out of the box; most are misinformed because of the heads, making the '86 is a bargain compared to the rest. On top of this, the '86 is lighter than 87 - up, carries the EECIV and all applicable wiring, upgradable fuel pump hardware, etc., etc., making for easy upgrades.

The '85 is a terrible choice due to the Holley, the 7.5" axle, and a single exhaust. I would never recommend an '85 to a non-knowledgable Mustang person.

All that being said, the GM turbo cars, including the Syclone and (whatever the Blazer was called) are incredibly cool. Other than the Corvette (obvioulsy) and new Cadillacs, they are the most significant GM cars of the last 20 years, due to the application of technology for drivability, mileage, and performance. I love me my small-blocks, but look at the performance world today-- Turbos everywhere, and smaller engines that rrrrrip. GM, where are you?

Speaking of which-- Does anyone remember the chrome-yellow Camaro concept in C&D; would have been about 1987 or so, that was equipped with the GN-turbo six tuned to 300 or so hp...? This was the car that was supposed to be the 4th-Gen, but GM dropped the ball...