Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-11-2007, 05:19 AM

Default Re: Original Owner Interviews.

What about this one
Bought a car last year from a broker not a muscle car but one of those expensive Crew England built cars. The car came with all the proper books which included the service book which they stamp at the dealer when they take it in for service but no owners name. The original selling dealer left the spot blank. The problem I had is I got one valet key and no remote controls and the broker was also at a dead end with it so I started trying to locate the previous owner. The service department where the car was serviced said they knew the car very well but could not help me because of the privacy act. Well one day when I was getting the car cleaned the detailer came to me and said that he found a black pen under the front seat that has Peninsula Hotel Beverly Hills on it and he peeled off a name that was stuck under the gas cap door like the tape they used on the protect o plates. I then called the dealer back and spoke to the same service adviser and told him why I needed to find the previous owner and as soon as I gave him the name we had on the tape he told me that yes he owned the car and that he lived at a hotel but would not say which one and that the car was always serviced there. I then called the hotel that was on the pen and spoke to the head parking attendant and asked him if he knew the gentlemen and the car? His reply to me was that he knew the car very well and also the owner and that he arranged numerous times for the car to be serviced. Then he told me that the car was sold and the gentlemen bought a new one of the same make. I thought great let me call the hotel and speak to the previous owner. So I call and get him on the phone and tell him who I was and that I needed his assistance in the car he previously owned and his response was that he never owned the car. I apologized to him but said his last name was on a piece of tape stuck under the gas cap door. He then said a relative owned the car and was out of touch with him and did not know where he was. I am still scratching my head on what to do next. Wonder what he would have said if I told him that I found an expensive piece of jewellery under the front seat?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Rick
I am surprized that you did not tell him about the jewelry "Necesity is the mother of invention" Sounds as if this person is one of those you would not want to be your friend.
Peter
Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 PM

One thing to remember when doing any type of interview, is that most people enjoy talking. And their favorite subject is usually themselves. It's always a good idea to have a list of questions handy to prod the conversation along if it gets stale. However, the best stories unfold all on their own with a light touch here and there from you to guide it along. It's important to establish "trust" early on in the interview so the previous owner will really open up to you. Good luck, and I definately want to read what you come back with!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:29 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
One thing to remember when doing any type of interview, is that most people enjoy talking. And their favorite subject is usually themselves. It's always a good idea to have a list of questions handy to prod the conversation along if it gets stale. However, the best stories unfold all on their own with a light touch here and there from you to guide it along. It's important to establish "trust" early on in the interview so the previous owner will really open up to you. Good luck, and I definately want to read what you come back with!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice 327,

Am looking forward to it. Trying to keep my expectations realistic AND gonna have some fun!

Thanks to all!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:41 PM

Never ask a question that can be answered with a yes or no. The conversation will be very short if you do. If you are asking for something specific, ALWAYS say "Please" and "Thank you" just like your mother tought you.

COPO 9561/9737 M40 X11D80
13.37 @ 105.50 on pump gas,drove it to NATL TRAILS and back [email protected] SCR22
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 PM

.....and remember the <font color="orange"> GOLDEN RULE </font> !

Old 03-12-2007, 11:55 PM

These are all great ideas. I can tell you from a fellow collegue that bought a 1969 Z28 new from Dan Vaden Chevy hear in Savannah, GA he was thrilled when he got a call about 4 years ago from current owner. He was amazed that car was still around and still had original engine. He sold it after owning about 3-4 years and having trouble with CA emissions. Still had an original poloroid picture of car on his office wall. I remember him relaying to me that current owner had car painted with white stripes and it was originally black stripes, he seemed bummed at that news. Great looking car, hugger orange, black stripes, hugger houndstooth interior, endura bumper, black vinyl top and cowl hood. He bought it off of showroom floor. He cannot beleive current prices of cars now.

Todd