Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-25-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Brokers, Middlemen, and the whole ugly mess!

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently seen a theme of discontent on this website. It seems to revolve around brokers, middlemen, and people trying to make a buck on a car that is not theirs. Don’t get me wrong there are some very respectable brokers out there, but most are in it for the money not the hobby. The two posts I am referring to are:

70 LS6 MALIBU auto/bench Docs. 30,000 Mile Valu ??
1967 chevelle ss black with red interior

There is a common theme here, both individuals did not own the vehicles nor could they answer the hard facts about the cars. I do not know either one of these people and I am sure they are good people, but it is frustrating when you are not dealing with the owner.

A good friend on this site, Howard, and I were both burnt years ago by the same broker. The good news about both instances is that Howard and I became friends because of the mutual shared experiences. The sting of the cars went away and we both learned valuable lessons…..don’t buy cars from people who do not own them. I recently saw Howard’s frustration come out in a post:
More Hype without documentation like so many others lately!

--------------------
Howard

You have to understand that (and I am not putting myself in your league Howard) we get inundated with cars every week. I know my first question when I get a phone call is:
Do you own the car? And 2nd is:
Is it documented?
If you cannot answer either one of those questions the way I want, I am done with the conversation.

This site is not only full of experts, but it is full of some of the wealthiest and biggest collectors in the country. You cannot get away with any form of BS or “broker speak” here.

Here is my recommendation to anyone that is going to post on this site:
1st Have thick skin!
2nd Make sure you have your facts straight before you post, because with this crowd the facts will be straight by the end of the thread.
3rd Don’t try and sell something that you really don’t own or can’t control.

Just my opinion!

[/ QUOTE ]\
In reply to 1967 chevelle I posted per owner to sell per owner was not brokering or on commision you need to get your facts right chris by the way did you ever pay the finder fee on the 1970 ls chevelle you purchased in dayton oh have a great day and dont hammer if you dont want hammered on!! I guess its your hobby as you stated and you dont make any money and thats another lie just keep it up !!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm not a broker...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Sorry, had to say it.

Rick H.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,605 Posts

------There are good guys out there brokering cars and, much the same as everywhere else in the hobby and beyond, there are bad guys brokering cars. Its up to us as rational people to figure out which is which!!! Bad guys wont stay in the hobby long if there is no demand for thier services. New bad guys will fill in but they will drop out if there is a lack of interest in what they offer as well. Even an uneducated buyer ought to be able to narrow down good from bad. If Im in doubt Ill ask my wife about a guy as she has a really good antenna for weeding out bad guys.......Bill S
Old 03-25-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have recently seen a theme of discontent on this website. It seems to revolve around . . . people trying to make a buck on a car that is not theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The easy way to handle this is to forego finder's fees. I've helped people in my life and I have never been paid for anything. When it comes to cars, I don't see why someone should pay me to hook them up with someone. The joy and pride of ownership for them is worth more than any money to me.

But, like in all things in life, there are whores.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

[ QUOTE ]
I brokered several sales for free. Both parts and supercars. IMO...Some of the bigger collectors need a middle man due to the seller often finding out who they are and increasing the price accordingly.

Never lost any sleep over any of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that! I've made many long term friends though! This site does a pretty good job of dumping the bottom-feeder brokers - they have their own site
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, & 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 03-30-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have recently seen a theme of discontent on this website. It seems to revolve around . . . people trying to make a buck on a car that is not theirs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The easy way to handle this is to forego finder's fees. I've helped people in my life and I have never been paid for anything. When it comes to cars, I don't see why someone should pay me to hook them up with someone. The joy and pride of ownership for them is worth more than any money to me.

But, like in all things in life, there are whores.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother. If I can help someone find a car they want, just knowing how they feel is enough for me. And besides, we can all use some good karma.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:32 AM

There are two sides to every story but in my opinion, all Chris is trying to say is if you are going to do something as your profession...do it right. When you are in a business that requires information and knowledge you should have it. You need very little knowledge to love cars, and that's why we are all here.