Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-25-2007, 01:56 AM

Default hey guys, I found it

I stopped at a body shop a few days ago. It sits off of the four lane up on a hill and it has tons of old muscle circling his shop. I have driven by there dozens of times but what looked like a blue 1970 LT1 Vette caught my eye.

The owner was a little annoyed at first but once we talked for a while I think he figured out that we shared the same passion and respect for the hobby.

I asked him if he had any cars I could buy for a project. I told him I would prefer something rough but running. He said he didn't sell them like that, only ones that were near completion. He took me around back and directed me to a 442. The paint was rough but there was no visible rust anywhere on the outside. Inside the floorboard was new in the front and he was getting ready to weld in the back half. The interior was freshly re-upholstered. He started the car with very little trouble. It was a 68 model with a 350. If it's numbers matching wouldn't that make it a "Ram Rod" 350? I can remember but I am pretty sure the only 442 with an original 350 in 68 was a W-31. I'm not an Olds guy. His asking price was a paltry $3800..

He next took me around the other side of the building and there it sat. Black with white stripes, a cowl induction hood, and my favorite piece of plastic ever molded, Z/28. It was my dream car. The right color, the right year (69.)
The paint is dull and it needs some love, but I'm talking lazer straight with no rust. The interior is in great shape. I was dissapointed that the original motor is long gone. But there is a 468 BBC w/ 2 Edlebrock four barrels. It started with 2 pumps of the gas pedal and one turn of the key. $10,500!!

I am going back in a few days, I have a baby coming Monday morning. Besides protecto-plate and vin number, what else do I need to look for to make sure this car is as represented? He said it is a factory four wheel disk brake car. I don't really car if the car is misrepresented, It's worth the money.

But I like to know what I am buying. Can you all help me decode the vin or direct me to a source for doing so? This goes for the 442 as well. Should I buy both cars? They both run wonderfully.

PS- The vette was a 70 lt1, plus he had a beautiful 70 Judge conv., and one of those Beaumonts(?), looks like a chevelle. I'm rambling, it was like stumbling into my muscle car fantasy land. I would try to describe how I feel, but I am sure you all already know
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 AM

Default Re: hey guys, I found it

The Olds is either a W31 or a 442, not both. The Ram Rod 350 (W31) was not a 442 & the 442 had a 400 motor. If it's just a Cutlass with bad floors, $3800 is about right. Need more details.

Bucket seats? Automatic? Is the ram air set up in place (look for two rectangular plastic scoops under the front bumper)?

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:28 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 55chevy Send a message via AIM to 55chevy Send a message via Yahoo to 55chevy

If the Olds is a 442 it should have a 400. If it's a factory 350 car it's either a Cutlass or an F85. Just because it has a 350 doesn't make it a W31. The '68 Ram Rod 350 Olds (W31) is a whole different animal. What other options does the Olds have? Snap some pics if you can.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:52 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

See if you can get some pictures of the Z28 engine compartment and especially the brake master cylinder area. Also get the information off the trim tag since the JL8 4 wheel disc brake option was only available for a time frame roughly around Feb through Jul of 69. Get the all the information off the trim tag on the firewall and get a picture of the tag if you can to help verify if it's real. Look for the X33 or the X77 on the trim tag to denote a Z28.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 AM

sorry but I bought the 69 jl8 z28 out from under you did you also see the 69 l78 all numbers matching at his brothers next door I got that one for $7k he said you were a nice guy and you would understand I left my phone number with him for you to call so we can go have some fun see ya later I wasnt interested in the w4 car so I left that one for you its more of a family man car so you can ride your new kid around
Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 AM

Old 03-25-2007, 07:52 AM

great stuff.
joey, tell him what you found in the trunk
Old 03-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Man that's just wrong.............funny but wrong.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

great stuff.
joey, tell him what you found in the trunk

[/ QUOTE ]
ok well there was this intake that had 2 carbs on it it looks great also the origional motor for the z was at his brothers house so I got it too
Old 03-25-2007, 08:11 PM

..........there it sat. Black with white stripes, a cowl induction hood, Z/28. the right year (69.)
lazer straight with no rust. The interior is in great shape. there is a 468 BBC w/ 2 Edlebrock four barrels. It started with 2 pumps of the gas pedal and one turn of the key. $10,500!! ..........

Ok, this entire thread is a joke, right?

hold it guys, APRIL 1st is NEXT week !!