Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Mopar

Old 07-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,136 Posts

Correct-O, Steve-O! Those go on the inner and outer tie rods as well as the pitman and idler arms. Or maybe the pitman arm gets the standard castle one? Jim...HELP!

Ball joints get the other style, and it’s good you have those since you’ll have to replace a few “non-correct” ones since some were missing when I got it and James had the front held together with lug nuts!

DA sander in about an hour ago, so it might be wet sanding time. It’s 105 here right now....maybe it’s just time for a beer instead

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by A12pilot; 07-14-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
My nuts are Tri-Castle all the way! Wait, what?

Now that you mention it, was that blop on the center link on one end where the steering box connects? I thought I saw remnants of one, red like the end link adjusters nuts are, on one end or the other but just thought it was something else. Where that blop be located, oh Mopar Master of Megatronic Magistry!?

Cheers
Dave
`

Good on the Tri-Castle!
Actually there is usually a big paint splotch on the center of the center link. I'll see if I have pics of it - and the color....
Also - did your Shaker have the "legs" that rest on the valve covers?

Last edited by RS_COPO_Canuck; 07-15-2020 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Added
Old 07-15-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Correct-O, Steve-O! Those go on the inner and outer tie rods as well as the pitman and idler arms. Or maybe the pitman arm gets the standard castle one? Jim...HELP!

Ball joints get the other style, and it’s good you have those since you’ll have to replace a few “non-correct” ones since some were missing when I got it and James had the front held together with lug nuts!

DA sander in about an hour ago, so it might be wet sanding time. It’s 105 here right now....maybe it’s just time for a beer instead

Cheers
Dave
I'll see what pics I have - but I always buy a new, correct set from Frank Badalson - which is all nuts and proper cotter pins.

TRI Front suspension - Tri-Castle nut set with correct cotter pins. All 66-72 … Set $42.00
Old 07-15-2020, 03:28 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Don’t the 340 shakers have two brackets that bolt to the front of the cylinder head instead of feet that sit on the valve covers?
Old 07-15-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Don’t the 340 shakers have two brackets that bolt to the front of the cylinder head instead of feet that sit on the valve covers?
Sorry - forgot it was a 340. You are correct Steve.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:12 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Jim,

Found a powder blue splotch on the pitman arm, and another marking on the K-Frame by the steering box mount extending to the engine mount on that side. Green. That makes two marks on the k-frame I've found.

This front end (balljoints) was never taken apart. I think the uppers and lower ball joints have the standard castle nuts but the pitman arm, inner and outer tie rod adjusters have the tricastle nuts. Of course, you can modify the standard castle nuts to tri castle style if need be!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 PM
Yenko Advertising Member

Well, into all life some rain must fall. Every silver lining has a touch of gray. For every D cup there's an A cup.

In other words, paint part deux is on the way! Yes, while it is probably the flattest paint I've ever shot with no runs, sags, drips or mottling on the color, there's 5.7 bugs per square inch and it's simply not acceptable to me.

I rushed into the paint and sprayed at night since during the day it's been 100+ here. That was the first mistake. The second mistake was living in central Texas where all the bugs are not only bigger, but minuscule as well. This coupled with a combined total of 64,000 LED lumens equaled a bug fest bug fest not seen since the last Democratic National Convention!

So with that, out came the DA with 320 then 400 and everything got sanded flat again. Eeeeevvvryyyy bug is out and it'll be a masking fest not seen since the Elizabethian era! A quick shot of base to even things out and then clear should be all it needs. This time I'm painting in the early morning which I should have done the first time. The temp will be down and no bugs. Luckily I had to do this exact same thing on this 1970 Charger that I painted about 10 years ago. Way happier the second time!

Steve was very understanding and even offered to pay for the additional materials. But, no deal. This is my screw up and as such, my responsibility to fix it at my cost, not his. I mean, ALL shops do that, right?

So Dos Paintos Purpolous over the weekend. Then reassembly begins!

See? I'm so stupid I even post my mistakes!

Cheers
Dave
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (07-17-2020), Xplantdad (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:21 PM

Wow!
Out of curiosity, how many cars have you painted? Once only of course?
Old 07-17-2020, 12:31 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Wait a minute...how do we know you're not just painting a second-duplicate-clone-replica-sister car. You're gonna keep the real one and send me the doppelganger, aint ya???
Old 07-17-2020, 02:05 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Duplicate? Doppelgänger?? I think, yes, maybe, what? Are you kidding? My vocabulary isn’t enlightened enough to unnastands what you’s means, Steve-O! So to answer that question......Sentripity.

Ha! Painted once...now that’s classic! That Charger redo was due to a contaminated rag which made the clear fisheye to the point of sanding down to the base coat. So similar to this Cuda redo, but a little more involved. At $1,000/gal for the custom mixed base coat, it wasn’t a very cheap mistake. This buggy Cuda event is an easy, but still time consuming, fix luckily. That Charger took a good week to redo. But as you can see the results were pretty good! And that stripe is painted over the base and then cleared over. No vinyl decal there!

I think total I’ve painted 15 cars (13 only once!) and each one is a learning experience. Taught myself everything and have improved on each one. Some were over the top, some were just quick driver quality, but each one taught me something to do better next time or something to NOT do next time too.

On call the next three days. Hope to have some color again this weekend!

More to come...

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by A12pilot; 07-17-2020 at 02:07 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to A12pilot For This Useful Post:
big gear head (07-17-2020), Crush (07-17-2020), olredalert (07-17-2020), PeteLeathersac (07-17-2020), scuncio (07-17-2020), Woj (07-17-2020), Xplantdad (07-18-2020)