Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,388 Posts

I'm no expert on paint or gloss percentage, but I use the SPI on everything that needs to be black and the gloss is very close to original. Enough so that I just leave it. If the part isn't subjected to direct sunlight, the UV rating is plenty to protect it from turning gray over time. It can be sprayed as is 50/50 or thinned as much as 50% to use as a sealer. Apparently a "sealer" is just a thinner blend to soak into pores and imperfections for a deeper coverage. I've used it both ways and don't see much difference, other than the sealer is thinner and may need more coats to cover. The last batch I sprayed, this week, went thru a PreVal portable sprayer and it needed to be thinned more and seems to have a higher gloss than usual, maybe due to more thinner ?
The PreVal sprays at a low pressure and doesn't have any noticeable overspray, although the floor where I was working, did eventually turn black, so there is loss, but not a cloud going everywhere in the room. For non critical parts that you just want protected after stripping, it is a reasonable alternative, and NO gun cleaning...

https://preval.com/
The jar is only 6 ounces, so not much waste. I sprayed all this with about 4 oz. 2oz color, 2 activator and 2.5 186 thinner, the jar was too full for more.

Trying to take pics of black is impossible...the reflection is from the flash.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following User Says Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
L78_Nova (12-02-2022)