Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-18-2020, 12:11 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

At some point in time you have to take these radicals at their word...

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada wants deeper environmental ties with the United States and one result could be a North American ban on the sale of new gasoline-powered passenger cars and trucks, a senior cabinet member said on Thursday.

Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson said Ottawa and the incoming administration of President-elect Joe Biden both agreed zero emissions vehicles needed to be deployed faster.

Canada will discuss with the United States how to achieve this and also improve the overall performance of the transport sector, which accounts for 26% of Canadian emissions..... .

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN28R31V
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (12-18-2020)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:48 PM

New Administration= same old moves now afoot again within the EPA....

"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is embroiled in a lawsuit with Gear Box Z, Inc., contending that the Clean Air Act (CAA), doesn’t allow you to convert your street car into a competition-only race vehicle"

"Once certified as a street vehicle, your car or truck can never be converted into a race vehicle even if it’s trailered and never driven on public roads again, argues the EPA".

Link:
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...law-race-cars/
HawkX66 (03-17-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 06:54 PM

SEMA: https://www.sema.org/news-media/pres..._utmk=60126437

https://www.sema.org/news-media/enew..._utmk=33821545
Old 03-17-2021, 06:57 PM

markinnaples (03-18-2021)
Old 03-17-2021, 07:10 PM

Do not comply. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

69 Camaro SS396 L34 X66
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HawkX66 For This Useful Post:
JRC99 (03-18-2021), markinnaples (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 01:11 AM

It might sound melodramatic, but if they took my cars, it would kill me.

Cars are the only hobby I've ever had in my 21 years on this Earth. I think about them all day long- dreaming, scheming, planning on things to do with them. They're why I get out of bed in the morning. They're why I work (well, that and living is expensive in general lol). Hell, I've even used them to help me with anxiety attacks.

So if they were gone, what would I have to occupy all of my time? Nothing.

I will fight this my entire life if I have to.

'68 Camaro SS (454/TH400, possible L78/M22) LeMans Blue, black deluxe interior, black vinyl top. 3.73- mostly Day 2.
'89 Mustang GT- 3.55, subframe connectors, muffler delete, and a couple other minor mods. Exactly as he wanted it, so how it shall stay

Also:
1995 Ford F-150 XL
2004 Dodge Ram Hemi GTX- #192 of 433

Ain't no fun in viewing your car as an 'investment'. Get out there and beat on it!
Old 03-18-2021, 01:49 PM

Agreed. Here is where they are going: Even if you do not have a competition only car lets say for example you have a stock restored 1969 Camaro SS 350 and you rebuild the original engine using 30 over pistons. By the specific wording of the EPA's proposed rulemaking it would be illegal and you are very likely a criminal. You MIGHT be able to sleeve the block and petition the EPA in writing for a technical determination and this could be allowed?

Who Knows. Can you sell your modified car? WHO KNOWS. Can you be held liable after the sale WHO KNOWS.

Bigger Valves, any non GM specification parts=ILLEGAL
Cams, Crank, Rods, intakes, carburetors, the same.

NOW here is the comparison that matters: Gun ownership.

In this comparison

The equivalent of the ATF is the EPA
The equivalent of the NRA is SEMA
GUN Owners=Collector/Modified car owners

Guns and rulemaking- an example to consider:

Currently lets say I have an imported AK-47, and a part breaks internally. To fix the gun to meet the myriad of rules (922-R as one example) I can only use certain parts and often these parts were are not reproduced or even available. When they became available, often both the manufacturer and the installer had to ask the ATF for an interpretative determination prior to use. If the installer uses the wrong part and then lets say the gun is sold and the violation of discovered. All parties in the transaction are initially charged with firearms code violations, and ATF has a history of simply changing its rules on a dime with little to no notice. Look up bump stock for example. ATF originally determined to be legal and did so multiple times. Then acted to make it illegal. It is that easy all the while the ATF ignores the simple fact that a simple rubber band - Yes ONE rubber band can be used to cause the gun to function in the same manner as the bump stock did.

Gun ownership is a constitutional right and YET look at the legislative and social pressure used against gun owners aver the past 20 years to get a reasonable glimpse of our likely future as car owners.

The demonization of SEMA is underway right now. I believe we are next.

Another great video explores this issue from all sides:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
HawkX66 (03-18-2021), markinnaples (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:26 PM

I've seen a little bit of this already. I didn't think too much of it at the time.

Rob at ATP tuned my Duramax many years ago, and I bought quite a few parts from him as well to supplement the tune. Rob has been in business for years and at the time had the quickest Duramax in the country, and tuned/sold parts for everyone around the country. Great guy to deal with, excellent service, and a top notch tuner.

So last year late summer I get a message from him letting me know if I need any more tuning I need to get with him asap because the EPA had come in and was shutting him down. Making it too difficult for him to sustain his business. Sure enough not long after he closed his doors for good.

Getting closer to Christmas time my son asked for a set of long tube headers for his 89 Mustang. He already had an off road X on the car with the factory shorty headers that he installed a few years ago. Knowing I'd need another X I tried to order another off road X with the long tube headers, only to find out that all the big companies like BBK, Pypes etc... completely stopped manufacturing the off road X and H pipes. They were simply no longer available unless I bought a catted version for triple the price.
I said screw it, and shortened the X on the car and rewelded it to fit the new long tube headers.

So apparently this has been going on now for a while, and they have already either shut down business or affected sales in the auto industry.

How far it will go is hard to say. All the more reason I'm glad we sold all our new cars and just drive 50+ year old stuff that was made long before all this strict emissions stuff you see on new cars today.
The Following User Says Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (03-18-2021)
Old 03-18-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanked 1,363 Times in 662 Posts

Please sign the SEMA petition and send your representative a note regarding this latest legislation attempt. The link above is the easiest thing to do, and I know it works as I got a note back from my representative stating that he received my message.
Our hobby depends on it.
John 10:30
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 PM

This is what one if my lovely senators replied to my inquiry from the SEMA Action Network. At least replied to the topic. Corey Booker just sent an unrelated canned email. And no reply from congressman Chris Smith.
Attached Images

70 copo (03-18-2021)