Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 08:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300deluxe View Post
a little off topic, but a very wealthy guy I know..."a banker"...said you should own land, food, and silver, and be able to protect it. I said how about "collector cars", he said sell them, and buy land, food, and silver, and be able to protect it. I have known this guy for 15 or 16 years and he was different today, he said something is coming. So, I was a little freaked out today.
“Something is coming” what was he inferring?
Old 04-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
For the casual readers, what makes that car fake?
Well John, first, the body has NO association with Dick Harrell, or anyone on the Harrell racing team, he never owned it or even touched (worked on)it.
Second, the Chassis is also NOT associated with ANY Harrell car. The original 1968 Hardy Funny car chassis is located under the 1969 Dick Harrell Funny Car, as confirmed by Don Hardy himself ( the original chassis builder).
So with this car and chassis having no associations with Dick Harrell or the Harrell racing team, it is not a clone, but a fake with a completely lying description.
This car was extensively debunked when it was first unveiled by the previous owner of this very site.
Old 04-02-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
“Something is coming” what was he inferring?
I think he thinks eBola or something
Old 04-02-2021, 10:24 PM

Thanked 2,521 Times in 1,149 Posts

For those who are recently new to this site,this Funny Car was talked about extensively day & night,night & day,over & over & over again about 15 years ago on here.
I mean it was relentless and mind dumbing how this car was the center of discussion with so many people & at car shows/functions back then.
This site & another site,(that no longer exists),were promoting it and de-bunking it back & forth.
Lines were drawn,camps were made,and people were banned on both sides.
You could try a search on here,but that was 3 website owners ago and think they have been deleted,cause they got ugly and not professional.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr70 For This Useful Post:
1903USMCUnertl (04-03-2021), Carleen (04-02-2021), John (04-03-2021), L72copocamaro (04-03-2021), lycan (04-03-2021), PeteLeathersac (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post
For those who are recently new to this site,this Funny Car was talked about extensively day & night,night & day,over & over & over again about 15 years ago on here.
I mean it was relentless and mind dumbing how this car was the center of discussion with so many people & at car shows/functions back then.
This site & another site,(that no longer exists),were promoting it and de-bunking it back & forth.
You could try a search on here,but that was 3 website owners ago and think they have been deleted,cause they got ugly and not professional.
Agreed. It was pretty brutal.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:22 AM

Thanked 1,042 Times in 331 Posts

Such a shame that Dick Harrell's name and legacy has been affected in such a negative way because of a few "bad apples" that allowed things to really get out of control.

JMO, for whatever that is worth.

Bashton
www.mcacn.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bashton For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-03-2021), Xplantdad (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:50 AM

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,982 Posts

'

Some threads are still alive including this one w/ last posting Rick's over 15 years ago...
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84499
Too bad for the foolishness but some great pics and info so likely why it's never been deleted?

~ Pete

Carleen (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 12:34 PM

Thanked 1,648 Times in 486 Posts

I always wondered what the real history of the car was. I remember trying to do some searching on it but there were a lot of 1st gen Funny Cars. They look similar in construction so someone would have to dig deep into the details to figure it out.

It may have been a cool Funny car with its own story

would need a good Funny Car Detective to figure out what car it was

here is a site with a bunch of 1st gen Camaro Funny Cars
https://public.fotki.com/vinceputt/d...n_camaro_funn/
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeC For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 01:46 PM

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,982 Posts

'

Exactly Joe, hard to know now but would be cool to figure out which car it really was.

Attached Images

Old 04-03-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr70 View Post

At the time I was WAY more into WW2 gun collecting but had a 1969 Camaro and enjoyed the car sites some. I didn't come here but heard about the drama on another Camaro site. From what I've learned...the above is actually well put...

I went back to try and find info on the car and asked a few friends who were more into old drag cars back then what the story was. When I brought it up they laughed...said it was a shix show which could have been avoided if people just looked at the info. Ultimately though it helped the hobby.

It seems the car was never vetted by the hobby when the former owner of this site "debuted" it. Guys just assumed he had what he claimed and didn't bother to research it...probably because the car owner was their friend and the website owner.

Another group of guys sad it wasn't the car and provided photo evidence...One of the other sites became the "it isn't real," camp and this site was the "it is real," one. Sort of like the Hatfield and McCoy's.

The owner refused to listen to reason or any discussion which caused more animosity.

Things got super personal with a lot of personal attacks on people who didn't tow the line and agree it was real or who were trying to understand what the car was. The attacks went both ways. Eventually there were post on the "it isn't real" site showing in detail why it wasn't real and folks behind the scenes started to realize the owner was full of BS.

People lost friendships or acquaintances over it and it eventually filtered out of the sites and into other car collecting. Hell it even made discussion among gun collectors at a show I was at...a lot of gun guys collect cars

Once the dust settled people realized the car was fake and actual documentation and photos became more important.

Agreed it is a shame no one has been able to figure out what car it actually is.

Last edited by 1903USMCUnertl; 04-03-2021 at 03:10 PM.